9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 17, 09:00 AM
Tech Team
Lyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeike View Post
I love old tools like that.

I'm on garagejournal.com too,I dig the old garage stuff, vises,anvils,power tools....
I can completely relate to the emotional attachment to a tool that you remember being there when you were growing up. I've got my dad's vise and anvil (along with countless other tools) in my garage. The vise is from a Canadian Pacific Railway blacksmith shop where he worked and is huge (10" wide jaws that open even more than that, it must weigh more than 150 lbs).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 17, 09:40 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Garage
Re: Drill Press

I have my Dad's all aluminum Craftsman hand drill and the armature is missing copper pieces where the brushes ride. The armature is no longer available online. I dought my B&D armature from my plastic cased drill would fit. There is a place in town that carries old old parts that could have one. I'd have to check.

Mark 1970 Z28 M22 3.73 - Lunati 20120121 Retrofit Roller Cam

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Owned: 1968 Z/28 in '74. 1971 Z28 from '75-'77 4-spd
Ordered new Z28's in 1977, 1978 & 1980, all 4-spds.
1970 Z28 owned since 1981
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 17, 09:10 AM
David Pozzi

That drill press motor is a dual winding type. There is a centrifugal switch with springs on the bottom that changes it from a low speed winding to the high speed winding. When you shut the motor off, you'll hear a click as the winding switches back to low. Some times they hang up & do not switch back to the low, "start" winding. Then it will try to start on the "high" winding which is low Torque. It's best to replace these with capacitor start motors if they go bad.

If you bog this motor down enough, it'll start clicking, trying to shift to the start winding.

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70

post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 17, 09:16 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkX66 View Post
The new machines definitely don't compare to some of the vintage iron. I was thinking about "restoring" this one, but I like it the way it is.
My tools are a like a lot of my firearms. They have scratches and get a little banged up because they get used, but they're reliable and shoot straight.
It's 1/4 horse.

Electrical Motors - Full Load Currents

Pretty darn beefy motor for a drill! Especially if you couple it with the pulley system you have on it.

1968 Base hardtop 250 with a P̶G̶ built 2004r
Offy intake
Holley 390 CFM carb
Langdon split header to a 2.5" exhaust
Mild cam
Custom interior
Also own: 2014 Mustang GT and a 2013 Dodge Citadel. One red, one white and one blue from the Big Three.

Politics is cyclical. You start off young voting Democrat. Grow older and wiser and vote Republican. Then you die and vote Democrat again.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 17, 09:19 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpozzi View Post
That drill press motor is a dual winding type. There is a centrifugal switch with springs on the bottom that changes it from a low speed winding to the high speed winding. When you shut the motor off, you'll hear a click as the winding switches back to low. Some times they hang up & do not switch back to the low, "start" winding. Then it will try to start on the "high" winding which is low Torque. It's best to replace these with capacitor start motors if they go bad.

If you bog this motor down enough, it'll start clicking, trying to shift to the start winding.
I doubt it'll be all that easy to swap it over to a capacitor start motor (physical size, shaft size, etc). Also being 1/4 horse it might not be dual winding since it's small enough to not need it.

Besides I just prefer the old stuff. A capacitor motor would never have lasted as long as this one did.

1968 Base hardtop 250 with a P̶G̶ built 2004r
Offy intake
Holley 390 CFM carb
Langdon split header to a 2.5" exhaust
Mild cam
Custom interior
Also own: 2014 Mustang GT and a 2013 Dodge Citadel. One red, one white and one blue from the Big Three.

Politics is cyclical. You start off young voting Democrat. Grow older and wiser and vote Republican. Then you die and vote Democrat again.
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 17, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dave

Quote:

It does have the centrifugal switch. It works well, so I'll leave it. I like that it's the original motor, but if it didn't work well, I'd change it out.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/146684464@N06/p50BZU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbauer View Post
It's 1/4 horse.

Electrical Motors - Full Load Currents

Pretty darn beefy motor for a drill! Especially if you couple it with the pulley system you have on it.
It's actually a 1/3 hp motor. Definitely does the trick.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/146684464@N06/864530

'69 SS396 X66 L34 08D M21 BS
Z23 711 U17 72 B
Semper Fi!

Build thread:

post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 17, 01:23 AM
David Pozzi

I used a slightly newer model late 40's Delta drill press for many years and it's still going in our farm shop. I took it apart and cleaned/lubed it. Ours had a little gearbox add-on below the spindle that geared it down for more power but it slowed it down too. I have drilled 1 1/8" holes with it, but it was a struggle. I have a newer Taiwan drill press at home that uses a 1hp motor and I think you need that much in a modern rated motor. My home drill press has a larger reach, but is not as stiff and it does not drill large holes very smoothly, it wants to chatter and slip the belt with big 1" plus bits. I have an old huge Buffalo drill press that could handle anything but it needs wiring. That thing kinda scares me!

This is exactly like our old Delta 17" except it has a foot operated feed.

Last edited by davidpozzi; Jan 10th, 17 at 01:40 AM.
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 17, 06:00 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dave

Quote:
I used a slightly newer model late 40's Delta drill press for many years and it's still going in our farm shop. I took it apart and cleaned/lubed it. Ours had a little gearbox add-on below the spindle that geared it down for more power but it slowed it down too. I have drilled 1 1/8" holes with it, but it was a struggle. I have a newer Taiwan drill press at home that uses a 1hp motor and I think you need that much in a modern rated motor. My home drill press has a larger reach, but is not as stiff and it does not drill large holes very smoothly, it wants to chatter and slip the belt with big 1" plus bits. I have an old huge Buffalo drill press that could handle anything but it needs wiring. That thing kinda scares me!

This is exactly like our old Delta 17" except it has a foot operated feed.
Both of those presses in your pic are pretty cool. Too bad you weren't closer. I enjoy re-wiring different things. I went to school for electronics, but I didn't stay in the field.
I have no idea what the limits of mine are. I haven't found them yet lol. I haven't gone too crazy with steel though. My bits are limited.

Z23 711 U17 72 B
Semper Fi!

Build thread:

post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 17, 05:30 PM
David Pozzi

Here's my Buffalo 20" drill press. It's Navy surplus from the 40's. I think the motor is 3 hp 3 phase220.
I need to install the 3 phase contactor and hook up the foot pedal. This drill press has power down feed, which is the drive attachment on the RH side of the photo. It drives a quill down to the gearbox just above the morse taper. Handle on top left is the drive engagement in-out. The manual says you can even do some milling with it, but you'd need a cross feed table. I need a ladder to change belt positions...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	buffalo drill press.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	171202   Click image for larger version

Name:	contacor.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	171210  

Last edited by davidpozzi; Jan 10th, 17 at 05:45 PM.
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 17, 06:44 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dave

Quote:
Here's my Buffalo 20" drill press. It's Navy surplus from the 40's. I think the motor is 3 hp 3 phase220.
I need to install the 3 phase contactor and hook up the foot pedal. This drill press has power down feed, which is the drive attachment on the RH side of the photo. It drives a quill down to the gearbox just above the morse taper. Handle on top left is the drive engagement in-out. The manual says you can even do some milling with it, but you'd need a cross feed table. I need a ladder to change belt positions...
Wow! What a tank. You can do some serious drilling with that bad boy. I doubt there's much that would slow that down.

Z23 711 U17 72 B
Semper Fi!

Build thread:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode