Muncie speedometer gear clip keeps falling off [Archive] - Team Camaro Tech

: Muncie speedometer gear clip keeps falling off

go2fast
Mar 25th, 07, 03:02 PM
The little metal clip that holds the speedometer gear on the output shaft keeps falling off in my M20. It's not a lot of fun to put back on so I'm wondering if someone has been here before. It seems fine when I install it, but it comes off in a few miles. Maybe the cable is too hard to turn? My cordless drill spins it easily,. It looks like someone greased it at one point though. Both gears look fine and are a matched set. Any ideas? Maybe I should just replace everything (gears, cable, clip).

jaguareats
Mar 25th, 07, 04:24 PM
yes change the speedo gear inside with a new clip. your gear inside is probally loose on shaft it should be kinda snug on shaft not wobbling around.

wagonman
Mar 25th, 07, 04:45 PM
wow you guys lost me....

the driven gear cannot fall off mine.the end of the gear has a lil nub that contacts the inside of the tailhousing.so it cant fall out of the holder.......

are you talking about the flat metal clip that holds the gear assembly on? the metal clip that is held on with a 1/4-20 bolt?

jaguareats
Mar 25th, 07, 06:11 PM
no wagon it is the inner gear hes talking about lol

wagonman
Mar 25th, 07, 09:42 PM
oh his drive gear? the one thats on the output shaft? wow, bummer

go2fast
Mar 26th, 07, 09:12 AM
oh his drive gear? the one thats on the output shaft? wow, bummer

Yea, tell me about it. On the plus side, I can get the trans out in under 30 mins now.

crashent
Mar 26th, 07, 02:36 PM
Take the plastic gear out, throw it in the garabage, and put a steel press on gear in its place, and be done with it...
I have a bucket full of these plastic gears and use them only if a customer has to have it that way, and then theres no warranty... Crash

go2fast
Mar 26th, 07, 04:02 PM
Take the plastic gear out, throw it in the garabage, and put a steel press on gear in its place, and be done with it...
I have a bucket full of these plastic gears and use them only if a customer has to have it that way, and then theres no warranty... Crash

That's probably a good idea. I wasn't sure if the shaft diameter was the same. Guess it is.