12 bolt hp rating [Archive] - Team Camaro Tech

: 12 bolt hp rating

pigiron
May 9th, 07, 05:13 PM
how much horsepower can a 12 bolt with moser axles running 410 ratio handle,adding a stronger pineapple plate would help,but can it handle say 650-750 hp/tq

big gear head
May 9th, 07, 08:22 PM
I don't know if a stock Chevy 12 bolt housing can handle that much power, but the Moser housing can. If you add the steel bearing cap and 1/2 inch bolts along with some bracing then it might hold up.

68rs406
May 9th, 07, 10:05 PM
We went 7.90's in a 3400# Nova with a factory 12 bolt housing. Reinforcing welds at axle tube/ housing join, Mark williams axles and a moroso brute strength diff, 4.10 gears and a ladder bar setup. Thats probably between 1300-1400 horsepower.
I was actually quite amazed by how well it held up. One day the car developed a nasty lean, found out the axle housing was twisted like a pretzel, but still, it held up for a lot of low 8 second passes, but when we started dipping into the 7's, it was done.
So yeah, I'd say a well prepped stock housing with good parts will do fine at that level :D

DOUG G
May 10th, 07, 01:32 PM
Buddy of mine is low 9's with a rear simular to above and 4.56's.

pdq67
May 10th, 07, 04:39 PM
It's funny b/c I've read where some guys were spitting teeth off a Dana 60 and I woulda thought onna them woulda been darn near indestructable compared to a 12-bolt!!

That said, If I was really worried about it, I'd hunt up a 9.375", (9" type), Ford rearend, but I don't think there is any aftermarket support for onna them??

"63-77 Lincoln, LTD, Thunderbirds had 9.375 inch centers, housings were cut
away at the gasket surface for ring gear clearance, one curved rib at the front
top portion of differential. Strong, but no gears."

From here...

http://www.mustangsandmore.com/ubb/FordRearDimensions.html

pdq67

Larger Dave
May 10th, 07, 05:10 PM
I have used 12 bolts all my life, and I have broken a few, but I had a lot of fun doing it, and they gave years of service before dying. The stock 12 bolt is stronger than a stock 9" Ford rear end (that's a blue oval not Strange, or Moser, or Currie custom made with the only Ford part being a bearing retainer cup).

I have never met any one who has broken a Dana 60 (not saying it can not be done), but if you did it routinely they do they make a Dana 70 that looks just like it, and with out a tape to disclose the 10.54" ring gear available in any tooth count you could want, you could not tell them apart. Break a Dana 70, and it is time to get a Rockwell rear end out of a cement mixer.

Larger Dave