What's the best waty to cut braided stainless fuel line????????? [Archive] - Team Camaro Tech

: What's the best waty to cut braided stainless fuel line?????????

Maro68
Jun 8th, 07, 11:34 AM
Whats the best way to cut braided stainless fuel line?

amartinson
Jun 8th, 07, 11:38 AM
Wrap tightly with electrical tape where you want to cut and then cut with a thin wheel on a die grinder.

Some say it is also good to bend the line in a "U" where you are cutting as you are cutting it, but I have not personally tried that.

bdzee
Jun 8th, 07, 11:43 AM
Yep.

onovakind67
Jun 8th, 07, 12:02 PM
http://www.tecratools.com/pages/service/graphics/12159l.gif

I use cable cutters. Easy to use and don't have the debris associated with a cutoff wheel. Wrap some tape around the tube and cut it with one quick motion.

Everett#2390
Jun 8th, 07, 12:46 PM
Beg, borrow, steal, or buy a cable cutter as nova suggested. Then go buy & wear a pair of leather gloves.

gramps68
Jun 8th, 07, 02:20 PM
Wrap tightly with electrical tape where you want to cut and then cut with a thin wheel on a die grinder.

I have done this with much success! Makes a clean cut, but I ran out of electrical tape and used athletic tape...the type you wrap ankles and knees with. Worked great and did not leave too much fraying of the hose end.

Larger Dave
Jun 8th, 07, 02:30 PM
If you use a cutting wheel you must flush thoroughly and dry the lines with lots of filtered compressed air to assure all of the abrasive, stainless steel slivers and burnt rubber are not going to be ingested by the engine or get into any mechanism (fuel pump, power steering pump, front pump if using on an automatic for cooling lines).

Cable cutters are much better. By the way Mechanics synthetic leather gloves offer little to no protection from the frayed wire ends. You will need some good flexible (kidd) leather gloves.

Larger Dave

Maro68
Jun 8th, 07, 07:40 PM
Thanks for the info. cable cutters it shall be!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Man
Jun 12th, 07, 08:10 AM
Wrap it tape as the others suggested and use a 32 tooth bladed hack saw.

cowboybob
Jun 12th, 07, 08:39 AM
You can also wrap the end with electrical tape and use a large chisel (like the ones used for cutting landscaping stones). Place the hose on a solid surface and give the chisel a good "whack". By far, this is the one of the quickest ways to do it and it cuts the hose and steel braid cleanly without fraying the ends.

I've never used the cable cutters, but I'm sure that they would work well too.

onovakind67
Jun 12th, 07, 09:06 AM
Another advantage of the cable cutters...I've never smashed my thumb with them.

Fred Ficarra
Jun 12th, 07, 12:35 PM
The guys here said last winter to use the Summit braided steel hose cutter. It works up to -12 AN. No tape required. Ends are clean and ready for the fitting. Just mark with a Sharpie and castrate,,er, sorry. Too long around horses!
Anyway, I bought one. The guys were right. The worlds most perfect tool. But there's a problem. I can't seem to stop looking for new places to install AN stuff.

TSTONE
Jun 12th, 07, 12:51 PM
tape like everyone says then i've always used tin snips

68RS-SS
Jun 12th, 07, 01:15 PM
A dremel tool with one of their small cut-off wheels also works great if you don't want to buy a specialized cable cutter tool that you will possibly hardly ever use. (not that I object to having too many tools) Yes, definitely flush it out with lots of carb cleaner afterword.

DenRS
Jun 12th, 07, 05:59 PM
I knew I wouldn't be making a ton of lines, so I couldn't justify the cutting tool. I ended up making a jig out of a old 16 inch 2x4. Right in the middle of the 2x4, I cut a slot in the one side on the 2x4about half way through. Then I drilled 8 holes for zip ties. I zip tied the hose onto the block of wood. The zip ties need to be really tight. Before I zip tied the hose, I put tape on the hose and placed it over the slot I cut out. Worked pretty good. Make sure you have plenty of zip ties.

Rocketrod
Jun 12th, 07, 08:11 PM
I have used cable cutters and the die grinder method of cutting lines. For me personally the die grinder worked best and I found I had better success if I wrapped the line with 2" stranded packing tape and lots of patience.

Fred Ficarra
Jun 13th, 07, 12:05 PM
I just gotta reiterate, (is that a word?) The Summit cutters have a more pronounced loop built into the blades than cable cutters. This serves to force all the steel braid toward the center of the hose. That's why no tape is required. Then the fitting can just be screwed into the hose.
Now get this! The last two hoses I built were for my transmission auxiliary cooler. I mounted the hoses to the cooler (in front of the radiator) and led the loop (hose still one piece) to the steel line from the transmission. The steel line was already cut and waiting for the auxiliary hoses. I then held the hoses against the line, allowed for the AN fitting length and then cut the braided hose IN PLACE. Then without having to remove the hose (to a vice) I slipped on the blue nut and screwed the fitting into the hose. Then wrenched it together after it was too hard to turn by hand, connected to the steel end via Earls compression adapter (slick) and called it good. Both hoses built from under the car. No removal for cutting, no contamination, perfect precision and it only took about 10 minutes TOTAL. Did I mention the cutter is the perfect tool? And those were my second attempt at AN fittings. The first was fuel lines. Took a little longer. Didn't know what I was doing.:D

68SSConvt
Jun 14th, 07, 08:02 PM
A band saw works great! Like slicing butter. Wrap with tape first as mentioned.

Ray

sixd8rs
Jun 15th, 07, 02:22 PM
Mentioned above.....The braided packing tape works the best. It wont stretch like electrical tape does. Its also what the supplier seems to use as well.