TKO 600 crossmember fit question. [Archive] - Team Camaro Tech

: TKO 600 crossmember fit question.

Bootan67
Jul 6th, 07, 03:34 AM
I am almost finished with installing a TKO 600 kit from CC5S in my '67 Camaro.

The issue I am having is that the crossmember bolt slots are about an inch too far forward where the transmission mounts.

Has anybody else had this issue when installing the CC5S kit?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
'67 Camaro RS/SS 350

dbx1969
Jul 6th, 07, 05:33 AM
I am almost finished with installing a TKO 600 kit from CC5S in my '67 Camaro.

The issue I am having is that the crossmember bolt slots are about an inch too far forward where the transmission mounts.

Has anybody else had this issue when installing the CC5S kit?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
'67 Camaro RS/SS 350

Just give them a call and see what they can tell you. It's probably something simple to solve.

zdld17
Jul 6th, 07, 10:25 AM
Any chance you got cross member backwards or mount? have heard this before.

dbx1969
Jul 6th, 07, 12:35 PM
Any chance you got cross member backwards or mount? have heard this before.

You can't put in backwards, as the tran's body would block the center of the x-member. When I first slid the x-member in, I had it backwards, but it was very obvious that it wouldn't fit that way. Being under a car too long can cause orientation problems :D

zdld17
Jul 6th, 07, 01:39 PM
You can't put in backwards, as the tran's body would block the center of the x-member. When I first slid the x-member in, I had it backwards, but it was very obvious that it wouldn't fit that way. Being under a car too long can cause orientation problems :D

These kits are supposed to be fool proof from CC5s. Was the torque arm milled off? Could you be missing one of the rearward holes? Could you have the wrong engine mount towers? Need to call CC5.

dbx1969
Jul 6th, 07, 02:05 PM
These kits are supposed to be fool proof from CC5s. Was the torque arm milled off? Could you be missing one of the rearward holes? Could you have the wrong engine mount towers? Need to call CC5.

This ^ was my first guess, but I didn't even want to go there. The biggest drawback of the TKO is not the TKO, but some of the 38yr old "altered" cars they're made to go in. I remember being concerned that I might have floor buckling (supposedly common) and would have clearance issues, but I had room to spare. And then, they give you one allen bolt to use on the tran-BH connection because of tight quarters, but both upper bolts are difficult to reach to torque down.

Although there several things that can cause a problem, the good thing is that they are relatively minor and can be remedied fairly easily.

GMJim
Jul 6th, 07, 02:18 PM
Bootan67

This has come up before! The easiest way I can explain this is some Camaros have either Nova frames or the holes are stamped like the Nova with a Nova cross member. Just give us a call and we will swap the cross member for a Nova cross member and it will bolt right in. This is not a common issue but we have had maybe two this year so far and about three last year. The problem seems to be with 67 and 68's. The first gen kit is one of our most popular kits so we were very surprised when this first came up.

67pat
Jul 6th, 07, 02:21 PM
I had this problem on my car...the trick is dont tighten anything up.Mine was off about 3/4"...I got the crossmember in and remember its slotted, so is the trans. mount point itself, so I got the crossmember in place,put the bolts in and left plenty on slack with the nuts to allow for movement,then pulled and tugged till I got the mount bolts in...thinking on it I might have done this in reverse...mount bolt snug...then pull and tug till crossmember is aligned...either way if the engine is in the right location the crossmember should have enough play to fit...at least that was my experience

dbx1969
Jul 6th, 07, 02:25 PM
Bootan67

This has come up before! The easiest way I can explain this is some Camaros have either Nova frames or the holes are stamped like the Nova with a Nova cross member. Just give us a call and we will swap the cross member for a Nova cross member and it will bolt right in. This is not a common issue but we have had maybe two this year so far and about three last year. The problem seems to be with 67 and 68's. The first gen kit is one of our most popular kits so we were very surprised when this first came up.

The Great OZ has spoken :thumbsup:

Bootan67
Jul 6th, 07, 03:02 PM
Called Classic Chevy and they said that I could have a Nova subframe in my car.
And that they could exchange with their Nova crossmember because the mounting holes are set back an inch.Or I could alter the crossmember they originally sent me in the kit.
I am going to alter this one to save time and be done with it.

But,I do not believe that the car has a Nova subframe.My Camaro has an 10A Oct '66 build date and the subframe is correct for an early build Camaro.Thanks

----------------------------------------------------------------------
'67 Camaro RS/SS 350

GMJim
Jul 6th, 07, 03:12 PM
Bootan67

Who knows what happened at the plant in 1966?? All I can tell you is in this situation we swap the 67-69 Camaro for a 67-69 Nova cross member and it fits? If you want to modify yours it will work but we can send you out one and you can send the other back if you like.

Bootan67
Jul 6th, 07, 08:20 PM
GmJim

The person I talked to at Classic Chevy said we could exchange the crossmembers.Which involves sending mine back first,then having the replacement shipped to me. I think that would probably be a 2 week turn around.Or I could purchase the replacement.In the mean time I would ship mine back and get a refund for the replacement upon receiving it at Classic Chevy. Seems like alot of messing around,huh?
So that is why I can just modify this one rather than wait another week or two.
I understand that there are differances in these cars and it's no big deal.Thanks

'67 Camaro RS/SS 350

GMJim
Jul 6th, 07, 08:57 PM
Your call. As long as you're happy.

dbx1969
Jul 7th, 07, 08:47 AM
GmJim

The person I talked to at Classic Chevy said we could exchange the crossmembers.Which involves sending mine back first,then having the replacement shipped to me. I think that would probably be a 2 week turn around.Or I could purchase the replacement.In the mean time I would ship mine back and get a refund for the replacement upon receiving it at Classic Chevy. Seems like alot of messing around,huh?
So that is why I can just modify this one rather than wait another week or two.
I understand that there are differances in these cars and it's no big deal.Thanks

'67 Camaro RS/SS 350

I had a similar issue with the clutch I purchased from them (But this was my fault), and they offered me the same solution as you've been presented with. Since placing the purchase on a CC wasn't an issue for me, it was a no-brainer for me to order the new one and wait 5 days (CA to GA) to get it. CC5Spd were nice enough to e-mail me, on the spot, a return shipping label (I paid the shipping cost) to ship back the wrong one. Since you live in Ohio, you might get it in as little as 4 days if you opt for them to send you the new x-member.

Bootan67
Jul 7th, 07, 03:31 PM
Ok...ok,I give......I will order the replacement crossmember.
But it looks like I will have to wait until Monday to place the order anyhow.I am not going to alter the first crossmember,besides it's a nice piece.

But,has anyone else had this same issue?

Thanks to all for your help and input!

'67 Camaro RS/SS 350

dbx1969
Jul 7th, 07, 04:00 PM
Ok...ok,I give......I will order the replacement crossmember.
But it looks like I will have to wait until Monday to place the order anyhow.I am not going to alter the first crossmember,besides it's a nice piece.

But,has anyone else had this same issue?

Thanks to all for your help and input!

'67 Camaro RS/SS 350

You surrendered :D. Hey bro, if you order on Mon., you'll have it by Friday for sure. Jim mentioned that they have seen this a few times before, but the chances of those few customers/members reading this thread? Probably low. If it makes you feel any better, I have to take my car to a shop to get one exhaust line redone....because the new cross member is in the way! So one pipe is not attached right now. And while I'm trying to fix/adjust the carb so I can go do this...my neighbors have got to love me for the noise level:beers:

Bootan67
Jul 8th, 07, 07:07 AM
Yeh,my neighbors like me too. One has told me that every time I start my Camaro their house windows rattle. I am running headers and flowmasters,so I don't think it is too loud.
But,I have not reconnected the exhaust to the headers since the TKO install. I'm thinking of starting the car up before hand,just to hear it run with open headers. Then I'll wait and hook everything up to do the 15 min. break in.

.................................................. .................................................. ......
'67 Camaro SS/RS 350

dbx1969
Jul 8th, 07, 07:44 AM
Yeh,my neighbors like me too. One has told me that every time I start my Camaro their house windows rattle. I am running headers and flowmasters,so I don't think it is too loud.
But,I have not reconnected the exhaust to the headers since the TKO install. I'm thinking of starting the car up before hand,just to hear it run with open headers. Then I'll wait and hook everything up to do the 15 min. break in.

.................................................. .................................................. ......
'67 Camaro SS/RS 350

No doubt. My oldest son's bedroom is the "bonus" room above the garage. He was complaining that his PC desk was vibrating badly when I was toying with the carb the other day:D. I hope you don't have any problems like I did when you go to reconnect the headers.

Also, you don't really need to run through the gears for a full 15mins. The purpose of the "wheels off ground" test run is to splash some gear fluid around while it's not under any load. Even 10 mins is probably overkill here.

I won't get my carb back (being cleaned & checked) until maybe Tues., but I'm going on vacation for a few days starting Wed. Man, I can't wait to get this thing up and running. Good luck with yours!

69 383 tko 5sp
Aug 12th, 10, 08:54 PM
I have a 69 and I cant get my cross member in. With two bolts in one side, I can get the other two bolts in, but they are at a severe angle.

TJS69
Aug 12th, 10, 10:34 PM
Wow, a three year old thread ! the problem is quite simple and I wish crossmember manufactures and dealers would think about it. There are big block crossmembers and small block crossmembers. The difference is that the big block transmissions mounting position is 1/2 inch to the passenger side and 3/4 of an inch forward from the small block's location. The Nova's are the same as the Camaro's, they just happened to have a big block in one of them and a small block in the other.

If you force it to fit (which can be done) your transmission's output shaft will not be parallel with the pinion shaft of the rear end an you can get a vibration or premature part failures.