how much does a damaged subframe de-value? [Archive] - Team Camaro Tech

: how much does a damaged subframe de-value?

guccieng
Aug 11th, 07, 07:33 PM
hello all. i'm sure i'm not the only one around here with some 'battle scars' on the front center section of the subframe. many of us run them with no adverse affects. my question is this: how much does subframe damage de-value the car? if all things are the same between two cars, and one has subframe damage and one does not, how much less would you pay for the damaged frame car? anyone can find replacements these days, especially with the introduction of so many aftermarket frame sources. But, is the worth the cost to replace it, even with a $200 original subframe?

guccieng
Aug 14th, 07, 10:53 AM
wow, no responses? maybe people who have the damage are too shy to admit it? ha ha. how about rewording the questions like this: if you were looking at a car and thought it was worth $15k, and at the last minute noticed subframe damage on the front/center, how much would you lower your offer? or how about this: you loaned your car to a friend who jumped a curb and damaged what was once an untouched subframe, and even though you have no intention of replacing it, how much money do you think your friend owes you in damages? c'mon guys and gals, don't be shy...

BelAirBob
Aug 14th, 07, 11:04 AM
wow, no responses? maybe people who have the damage are too shy to admit it? ha ha. how about rewording the questions like this: if you were looking at a car and thought it was worth $15k, and at the last minute noticed subframe damage on the front/center, how much would you lower your offer? or how about this: you loaned your car to a friend who jumped a curb and damaged what was once an untouched subframe, and even though you have no intention of replacing it, how much money do you think your friend owes you in damages? c'mon guys and gals, don't be shy...

I do not think that the subframe in and of itself would be cause for concern, but the first thing I'd think of is all of the labor involved in switching one out. Most folks place a high value on their time,and switching out a sub is a not an easy task. If it were me, I'd want to pay a couple of thousand less for a damaged frame car, due to the time,and also the additional tweaking that may have occured to the floor pans due to the accident.

68z28sd
Aug 14th, 07, 01:02 PM
if you are talking a few scapes from curbs ect. thats not to big a deal.

guccieng
Aug 14th, 07, 02:12 PM
if you are talking a few scapes from curbs ect. thats not to big a deal.

i'm not talking scrapes, more like bent metal, but not enough to affect the alignment or floor pans.

no69x-44
Aug 14th, 07, 02:28 PM
i'm not talking scrapes, more like bent metal, but not enough to affect the alignment or floor pans.

If it's a "driver" and the bent sub frame has no bearing on the driving or preformance of the car, i.e. alignment, suspension, etc. then it's probably not that huge of a deal. Maybe knock a little off of the selling price. But if it's a concouse show car ... Then I would have to say it's a real issue and replacement would have to take place if it couldn't be repaired correctly.