Fuel pump rod for roller cam [Archive] - Team Camaro Tech

: Fuel pump rod for roller cam

speedfreek
Nov 22nd, 07, 06:38 PM
Do I need a "special" fuel pump rod and bronze dist gear for a ZZ4 roller cam?

zdld17
Nov 22nd, 07, 06:46 PM
Need to check to see if this cam is a billet steel roller. My first guess is that these are not billet steel and will need the stock GM melonized gear. I would check this one out .

As for the fuel pump push rod, I would guess again, if using a stock pressure type fuel pump and stock fuel puressures, I would say use the stock push rod. But I learned my lesson the hard way, I use a stock pushrod on a Comp cast roller and wore down the fuel pump lobe within 500 miles. I would go for the Comp roller tip push rod to be on the safe side.

69vettester
Nov 23rd, 07, 07:03 AM
Do I need a "special" fuel pump rod and bronze dist gear for a ZZ4 roller cam?

Research till your satisfied with a decision, But...
A year ago I pulled my hair out trying to figure out for sure what was special needed for a Hyd. Roller Cam I was installing.
I found out its safe to use stock fuel Pump rod and Stock Dist. Gear.(I use a MSD Probillit) for the Hyd. Roller Cams. I think some manufacturers are saying that on there Advertizement now days?

Solid roller is the one thats not compatible with stock.
Dont take my word for it though..:beers:

Larger Dave
Nov 23rd, 07, 08:18 AM
Cam core determines the need not the application of hydraulic or solid. All billet steel cams are harder than a stock cam and you can not use stock parts with them. When in doubt use a plastic, brass tipped or roller tipped push rod. Better safe than sorry. Like said above the majority of cams are not ground on a billet core. For the few that are read the instructions for installation it should tell you there what to do.

Larger Dave

speedfreek
Nov 23rd, 07, 08:46 AM
All billet steel cams are harder than a stock cam and you can not use stock parts with them. When in doubt use a plastic, brass tipped or roller tipped push rod. Like said above the majority of cams are not ground on a billet core. For the few that are read the instructions for installation it should tell you there what to do.

Larger Dave
I bought this off e-bay, no instructions. I would assume that it's a stock cam, uh oh ASSUME! You know what that means. I will do more research on this before installing it.

speedfreek
Nov 23rd, 07, 12:56 PM
Quoted by Dougs67camaro: YES. You need a melanized gear. You can use a bronze gear , but they do wear pretty quick. The zz4 cam is a steel billet roller. As far as the fuel pump rod, i think the factory rod will work. If you are worried, just call the dealership and order a zz4 pushrod. Cannot be that expensive. Hope this helps. Doug

Thanks Doug, I'll order the melanized gear and a roller tip fuel pump rod. :thumbsup: