Roller rockers [Archive] - Team Camaro Tech

: Roller rockers

Dougs72Nova
Dec 15th, 07, 03:25 PM
Was thinking about installing a set while doing my current project. Do you think it's worth the money? I was looking at the proform set http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=PRO%2D66914&autoview=sku Do i need narrow body rockers with centerbolt valve covers? I know they need to be self aligning. Sorry, i am used to building older sbc's. Thanks

wiskeesour
Dec 15th, 07, 04:03 PM
What heads do you have and what are the valve covers, Doug?

Duh. read your sig. Now it depends on the valve covers. I went with 8 1.6 roller tipped and 8 1.5 on the exhaust. I noticed when I had 1.6's all the way around the powerband was up in the RPM range. When I split them, 8 INT 8 EXH, It was MUCH Better. I think you will like them. They are true 1.5 rockers. not like the stock ones stamped around 1.46

what valve covers?

Dougs72Nova
Dec 15th, 07, 04:14 PM
What heads do you have and what are the valve covers, Doug?

Duh. read your sig. Now it depends on the valve covers. I went with 8 1.6 roller tipped and 8 1.5 on the exhaust. I noticed when I had 1.6's all the way around the powerband was up in the RPM range. When I split them, 8 INT 8 EXH, It was MUCH Better. I think you will like them. They are true 1.5 rockers. not like the stock ones stamped around 1.46

what valve covers?

Hey Harley. How have you been? These are my covers http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=PRO%2D141%2D130&N=700+115&autoview=sku

I was thinking about the comp pro magnums but they are very expensive and unsure they will work with centerbolt covers? Thats why i was looking at the proforms.

Mark .L.W.
Dec 15th, 07, 04:19 PM
If you can go with a 7/16 stud .
Mark.

Z15CAM
Dec 15th, 07, 05:51 PM
Doug:

I’m in a similar position as you with your SBC built up. I run Pro Magnums on a BBC but I don't believe Rollers are really that great of an advantage unless you run a Girdle and that of course would require Tall Valve covers thus eliminating Stock Height covers. I've a L79 basket wrapped waiting assembly. I do like the looks of the OEM LT1 Aluminum Covers on a Small Block and have been thinking Shaft Mounted Roller Rockers which will fit under these covers; however, Jessel's are to say the least very expensive. I've looked at the Chinese Item made by CAT part # RKM.350A that supports various Rocker Ratios and sell for considerably less.

I know they are not North American made but considering price they may be an answer and then I question Quality. I have a set of these CAT RKM.350A Shaft mounted Roller Rockers and they do look well built.

I wonder if anyone here experience with the CAT RKM.350A SBC Shaft Roller Rockers.

zdld17
Dec 15th, 07, 06:11 PM
If you have after market heads with the taller oil rail, you might get away with using Pro Magnums and the LT1 covers. They cleared on mine . When I saw the heat blueing in the ball pivot Magnums, I decided it was time to get away from that friction point and go to roller trunions.

Dougs72Nova
Dec 15th, 07, 06:14 PM
If you have after market heads with the taller oil rail, you might get away with using Pro Magnums and the LT1 covers. They cleared on mine . When I saw the heat blueing in the ball pivot Magnums, I decided it was time to get away from that friction point and go to roller trunions.

Thanks Don. The fast burn heads do have the raised rail. My centerbolt valve covers are the tall version. Are you using pro magnums on your car and if you are what valve covers do you have? Thanks

Z15CAM
Dec 15th, 07, 06:16 PM
zdlt17:

You're right I believe the Pro Mag Rockers did it under my Stock Height BBC Valve covers but then again if you are going to put that kind of money out you might as well take full advantage and run a Stud Girdle in which case you require taller covers.

wiskeesour
Dec 15th, 07, 07:00 PM
Thanks Don. The fast burn heads do have the raised rail. My centerbolt valve covers are the tall version. Are you using pro magnums on your car and if you are what valve covers do you have? Thanks

Now I just went thru this. ANY Narrow rockers will fit inder center bolt valve covers. Thats why there narrow. Saw it with my own two eyes. Proform are EXACTLY like Harland Sharp...compared with my own two eyes.
Roller tip rockers brought down my oil temp 17* at operating temp. Lower heat= power. I had a temp unit where my oil pressure should have been. I knew I had pressure, wanted to see what all the roller tips did for me.

Ive been good Doug! How bout you and yours?

zdld17
Dec 15th, 07, 07:05 PM

I am using the my old stock lt1 covers on the AFR heads with promagnums.

Dougs72Nova
Dec 15th, 07, 07:37 PM
Thanks Don.

77wolf10.85
Dec 15th, 07, 08:03 PM
Doug:

I don't believe Rollers are really that great of an advantage unless you run a Girdle

Rollers reduce friction and mass over ball and socket. Stud Girdles reduce rocker pivot-point wiggle. And yes a Jesel shaft system is expensive, I have a set. I also have 2 sets of rollers with no stud girdle.

Reducing friction and weight lets the engine rev faster.

Reducing flex improves the accuracy of the valve train by attempting to strengthen a design weakpoint.

A girdle would augment either style of stem based rocker, OEM or roller. The benefits of a roller rocker would be fully realized without a girdle, less friction/weight.

Then you figger...300 for rollers and 100 for a girdle... and you're still rockin on a soda-straw tied to more of the same..... **** it...700 and a Jesel system and you can see your stuff when you yank the cover instead of a bandaid contraption.:)

Dougs72Nova
Dec 15th, 07, 08:19 PM
Shaft rockers are way out of my price range. Besides, i don't think you need shaft rockers or even a stud girdle until you start running a ton of lift with some serious spring pressures. Under 6000 rpm stud mounted rockers without girdles work just fine.:yes:

Z15CAM
Dec 15th, 07, 08:44 PM
Doug: I tend to agree with Wolf re:" The benefits of a roller rocker would be fully realized without a girdle, less friction/weight." as the SBC's Valve Train is not quit as suseptable to wear compared to a BBC's because the Valve Train is Lighter. Then again as you mention you have to consider the amount of lift involved. As the lift increases higher spring pressures are involved and consequently the longer sweep across the Valve tip create additional wear on the Guides.

To tell you the truth my engines spend most the time between 2000 and 3000rpm driving around in todays traffic and makes me wonder why I even consider running .550 lift SBC or .623 Lift BBC; then you got to consider, we are a sick and sorry lot infected with a passion for pushing the limits - when in fact a .485 SBC and .550 BBC lift would give you all the performance you need with out the worry of self destructing - lol

Think I'll start a new Post and see what opinions I get on them CAT RKM 350A SBC Shaft Roller Rockers as they cost approx $250 - I've been reading nasty things about the CAT Stud Roller Rockers but seems the Shaft ones are OK.

Here's an interesting $159 Stainless Steel Roller Rocker by PRW that fit Center Bolt Covers on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevy-Stainless-Roller-Rocker-Arms-1-5-rockers-7-16_W0QQitemZ8055099033QQihZ019QQcategoryZ33624QQss PageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

zdld17
Dec 16th, 07, 05:01 AM
While on the subject, I saw these at Sema, anybody used them? Made in USA.

http://www.scorpionperformance.com/newsite/scorpion.php?category_id=1

Z15CAM
Dec 16th, 07, 01:08 PM
zdld17:

I've seen the Scorpion Rockers they are very impressive costing approx $225/set and comparable to Crane Gold Series. They have Big Needle Bearings and Sculptured Nicely, but for some reason I prefer to stick to a Forged Steel Set like Pro Mag; however, them PRW's look like they do the same job for 1/2 the price.

Rocker Failures with Pivot Ball design is not that big of a deal as you can easily replace a Broken Stud or bent Rocker during a light change but with Roller Rockers you are always concerned about Needle Bearings being scattered around in your engine.

Dougs72Nova
Dec 17th, 07, 02:49 PM
I ended up buying the Comp pro magnums. I have had very good luck with these rockers! Looking forward to driving it when i'm done. Looks like that will be next year though, we got a foot of snow the other day.:(

wiskeesour
Dec 17th, 07, 03:56 PM
Good Choice Doug!

They should work great.