Powder coating: What & How Much $ [Archive] - Team Camaro Tech

: Powder coating: What & How Much $

68DaveV
Feb 29th, 08, 08:21 AM
I'm going to do a home inspection for a guy that does powder coating. I've offered to do it in trade. I've never had anything powder coated. Can he do my headers that have about 1000 miles / 8 months on them? What else would you have done? Anything I would have him do is already on the car. What's a typical cost of powder coating?

prostreet69camaro
Feb 29th, 08, 10:12 AM
I dont believe you can powder coat headers. But any thing else that is painted can be powder coated. The sky is the limit. Also depends on how big a oven he has.

Matt M.
Feb 29th, 08, 10:26 AM
I did my subframe, motor mounts, A-arms, and axle housing. Total bill was around $400 (including sand blasting).
I almost did my radiator support and inner fender wells, but changed my mind and had them painted.

I agree--I don’t think you can powdercoat headers. Also, you can’t powdercoat springs or coils (hood springs). The oven distorts the spring/coil.

ezeglen
Feb 29th, 08, 10:36 AM
I had about 20 small pieces done. The largest was the bracket that my brake and clutch pedals attched to. I think it was about $220 to media blast and power coat all these.

The guy I use can power coat headers. There is a hi-temp power specificly used for headers and exhust systems. He races a Cobra kit car he made and he showed me the entire exhust from the headers all the way to the tail pipes that he coated. It looked great. I don't think he had a lot of color choices. I think a silver/metal color might have been his only option.

DOUG G
Feb 29th, 08, 02:26 PM
Can't say much about the cost.
But can say it's very durable, resists most chemicals,gas,oils,brake fluids, and the like.

I had all my brackets and pulleys (20% black) done at work along with an intake (intake manifold silver).

camjoe63
Feb 29th, 08, 05:03 PM
I had my alt brackets and my water pump pulley,,, (4) total parts done in the correct semi black with blasting for $40. I was impressed with this shop for the quality of work for the price I had paid.

Question......I am now thinking of doing the rad support and the inner fenders but I am thinking that they might warp after the bake so,,am I off base on this ???

I did not mean to Hijack this thread but after reading all of the posts my mind wanderd towards this question...

captcanuck68
Feb 29th, 08, 05:24 PM
I'm going to do a home inspection for a guy that does powder coating. I've offered to do it in trade. I've never had anything powder coated. Can he do my headers that have about 1000 miles / 8 months on them? What else would you have done? Anything I would have him do is already on the car. What's a typical cost of powder coating?
Been over 5 years since I had the outside/inside of manifolds done...and they still look like the day that I them done. Can't get anything tougher than this stuff...talk to anyone who has had to SB this coating off.

capt

SY1
Mar 1st, 08, 01:43 AM
I know everyone seems to like powder coating. However those trailer hitches you see rusting after 2 years on the back of a pickup. Yup they are powder coated. Seems to mee that powder coating doesn't hold up well on sharp edges and then often times flakes off in large pieces. I've got a welder that's powder coated and it's peeling off in sheets.

Epoxy primer is the only way to go in my book. It's what all the aerospace companies are using, none of them are using powder coating. You can't even chip the epoxy primer if you beat on it.

If you live where salt isnt used on the roads maybe powder coating will hold up. But it doesn't fair too well up North.

LCAC_Man
Mar 1st, 08, 09:25 AM
I had my alt brackets and my water pump pulley,,, (4) total parts done in the correct semi black with blasting for $40. I was impressed with this shop for the quality of work for the price I had paid.

Question......I am now thinking of doing the rad support and the inner fenders but I am thinking that they might warp after the bake so,,am I off base on this ???

I did not mean to Hijack this thread but after reading all of the posts my mind wanderd towards this question...
I did both my rad. support and inner fenders (along with hood springs, coil springs and just about every other bolt on sheet metal part ) on the last resto I did(68 Buick GS400 Convt.). One of the best areas I spent money on and would definately do it again.

Dereka
Mar 1st, 08, 07:12 PM
must have a lot to do with the prep on adhesion. i coated a planter for my wife 3 years ago, sits outside year round and looks like it did the day i finished it. if fact i screwed up a piece and like to have never gotten the coating off in the sand blaster cabinet. tough stuff.

Dale8346
Mar 1st, 08, 08:25 PM
I restored my 67 Camaro and Powder Coated the Following to give you an idea: FRAME, Wheels, All suspension, seat backs, quarter plate (interior) between rear seat back & window, plus.
When it is done by someone good, it looks just like paint. Make sure you tell them flat, semi, glossy, etc. or you will be screwed.
I don't really know how much it cost, i did not break it out i paid for it to the body shop.
And YES, you can powder coat the exhaust manifolds. It is a different process, but most of the guys that do it warranty it for Many, Many years. It for sure works and last a long time.

jr68
Mar 1st, 08, 10:18 PM
I had my new aluminum intake powder coated with clear
you know how hard they are to keep clean with all those pits
this makes it easier to wipe up

Brentmc
Mar 3rd, 08, 05:09 AM
What did it cost to powercoat the intake with clear?

jr68
Mar 3rd, 08, 06:04 AM
$10 for the powder.
My buddy and I did it in his shop with an Eastwood gun.