South Side Machine traction bar question? [Archive] - Team Camaro Tech

: South Side Machine traction bar question?

Procharged69
May 31st, 03, 09:29 AM
I have SSM traction bars on my 69 camaro. What I am curious about is this: On the chasis end of the bars there are plates you can put inbetween the chasis and traction bar, I believe I have 2 on pass side, and 1 on driver side. Now I just bolted them all up and tight. Now is this right or should they be loose, maybe not tighten or use the plates at all? I'm not sure! Thanks for the help!

Yellow68SS
May 31st, 03, 02:51 PM
I have 2 plates on the pass. side and 1 one the drivers side and both of them are tight. I have not had any problems with them binding and they hook really well on my car so i think this is the way that you are suppossed to install them

67camss/rs
May 31st, 03, 04:38 PM
Mine are the done the same as Yellow68. :D

johnnyr
Jun 1st, 03, 03:04 AM
Is South Side Machine still in Business? I have a Friend that is looking for a set of the traction bars for his 68 Mustang. I was going to try & save enought to buy a set for my 67 Camaro later this year also.

Eric68
Jun 1st, 03, 11:43 AM
I also wound up with more shim on the passenger side than the drivers. When I installed the lift bars I had the chassis on jack stands and the rear end on a floor jack from the center section.

I started with the rear end hanging low and the front of the lift bars disconnected with a friend in the driver's seat (for the weight). Then I slowly jacked up the rear end until the front of one of the lift bars (my drivers side was closest)was a 1/4" from the spring. At this point I slipped in one shim on that side then slipped in a home-made shim on the other that was exactly the right height for the other spring. It turned out to be like the equivalent of 1-1/2 shims.

Then I installed the U bolts loose on the front of the lift bars and set the car on the ground. Then tightened them both up.

That's how I did it anyway.

BillsCamino
Jun 2nd, 03, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by johnnyr:
Is South Side Machine still in Business? The short answer...NO! :(
At least that's what the Summit tech told me when I tried to order some SSM items recently.

johnnyr
Jun 4th, 03, 01:52 AM
What brand of traction bars are equal to then? I still have the cheapo's that were on my car when I got it & wanted to go with the Southside Machine bars to keep the tires on the ground.

Slowazzbu
Jun 4th, 03, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by BillsCamino:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by johnnyr:
Is South Side Machine still in Business? The short answer...NO! :(
At least that's what the Summit tech told me when I tried to order some SSM items recently. </font>[/QUOTE]WRONG ANSWER!!! I posted on this same subject on the T/C board, but it looks like I need to do so as well here.

SSM is NOT out of business. The founder/owner recently retired and his son & daughter took over the day-to-day operations. it may have been poor timing on their part, but they also re-vamped the web site and moved to a different business location at the same time.

According to Linda (founders daughter, new president/owner), claims they are having some issues with some suppliers (I take it they were Jegs & Summit, could be others) and SSM refuses to sell any more products to them. It appears as though these mail order outfits are spreading false rumors in retaliation.

Linda posts on http://www.maliburacing.com and answers questions from time-to-time. This info is directly from her.

As a good note, Linda tells us they are now selling products/parts direct which they haven't done in the past.

67_camaro
Jun 4th, 03, 12:16 PM
That's convenient! Boycotting summit and jegs. It sounds like a typical response from someone that screwed up! Like "you cant fire me because I quit"!

They still have not answered ANY of my Emails and I still cant leave a message on their machine....sounds like they are down for the count and trying to come up for some air. Rather than have them post a message on a BBS, they should be answering the phones and Emails, that would prove they are still in business to me.

Lee

68rs406
Jun 4th, 03, 01:22 PM
just my .02 here, but after looking at ssm, comp slide a link, etc., i went with cal tracs, and i'm extremely happy i did. they work incredibly well, w/o the harshness the lift bars give on the street. also, i know guys use them and like them, but i also know guys who ditched them after a short while of use. the slide a links i imagine are good too, but the caltracs are awesome, for a little more money initially, you won't need another bar. check 'em out graemlins/thumbsup.gif

BillsCamino
Jun 4th, 03, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by Slowazzbu:
WRONG ANSWER!!! I posted on this same subject on the T/C board, but it looks like I need to do so as well here.Todd, Don't believe everything you read. :rolleyes:
I got this same story, first hand, from TWO different SSM authorized dealers on TWO different occasions (one in FL, one here in GA) that happen to be listed on the SSM website...
The old man has died and the two surviving siblings are involved in a legal battle with regard to estate assets including certain patents.
I'm just passing on what I was told...don't shoot the messenger.
Try calling one of the dealers linked on the website. Look's like SSM's complete network of authorized merchandise dealers has collapased. graemlins/sad.gif

http://southsidemachine.com/

Slowazzbu
Jun 4th, 03, 05:02 PM
Bill, no bullets being fired ;) :D .

Well, now who ya gonna believe? :confused:

I've been in contact with Lynda at SSM and gotten this info first hand, so I'd have to go with what she said...

johnnyr
Jun 4th, 03, 05:13 PM
I recieved a e-mail from Linda also stating that SSM was still in business. I e-mailed her asking for a price on a set of the bars for my 67 Camaro . I'll post when I recieve a answer

chicane67
Jun 4th, 03, 05:13 PM
I thought this was a Camaro site...... tongue.gif

Slowazzbu
Jun 4th, 03, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by chicane67:
I thought this was a Camaro site...... tongue.gif It is, what makes you think any different?

johnnyr
Jun 4th, 03, 05:18 PM
Not only is it a Camaro Site. It is the best Camaro site on the web. graemlins/beers.gif

BillsCamino
Jun 4th, 03, 06:47 PM
I thought this was a Camaro site...... tongue.gif Your point is... :confused:

chicane67
Jun 4th, 03, 07:38 PM
Nothing really. ;) Just odd to see a couple of Bu owners (although Bill does own an F-body) on a Camaro site poking each other in the ribs about who knows best.

Pretty damn funny if you ask me, but I know you didnt. Then again, I dont need permission to make fun of anyone.

As I said before..... " tongue.gif " .....whats your point? graemlins/clonk.gif

johnnyr
Jun 5th, 03, 01:32 AM
I recieved a reply last night from Linda they are still in business, The traction bars I need are in stock.

Slowazzbu
Jun 5th, 03, 05:09 AM
Nothing really. Just odd to see a couple of Bu owners (although Bill does own an F-body) on a Camaro site poking each other in the ribs about who knows best.

Pretty damn funny if you ask me, but I know you didnt. Then again, I dont need permission to make fun of anyone.For your information, the first car I ever owned was a '67 Camaro that I purchased at the age of 13. I did a frame off job on that car doing all the work myself except for the quarter panel replacement. As I got older and entered college, the car sat on the back burner and eventually got parted out and I lost all of my financial investment.

I assure you that my knowlege of 1st generation F-bodies ranks up there with any of the members here graemlins/waving.gif .

chicane67
Jun 5th, 03, 08:21 AM
Which is good.....right up there with a fair amount of them.

Because if you read [between the lines]......I'm joking......

Allrightythen........... graemlins/waving.gif

Lynda
Jun 7th, 03, 10:07 PM
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Slowazzbu:
WRONG ANSWER!!! I posted on this same subject on the T/C board, but it looks like I need to do so as well here.Todd, Don't believe everything you read. :rolleyes:
I got this same story, first hand, from TWO different SSM authorized dealers on TWO different occasions (one in FL, one here in GA) that happen to be listed on the SSM website...
The old man has died and the two surviving siblings are involved in a legal battle with regard to estate assets including certain patents.
I'm just passing on what I was told...don't shoot the messenger.
Try calling one of the dealers linked on the website. Look's like SSM's complete network of authorized merchandise dealers has collapased. graemlins/sad.gif

http://southsidemachine.com/ </font>[/QUOTE]HEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
POST THE TRUTH PLEASE
I AM THE OWNER OF SSM
I HEARD ABOUT YOU POST....OMG WHY??????????? LORD HAVE MERCY ON YOU.. MY DAD IS NOT!!! DEAD!!!!!!!!! GOD... THANKS YOU A/h

Lynda
Jun 7th, 03, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by johnnyr:
I recieved a reply last night from Linda they are still in business, The traction bars I need are in stock. THANKS!!! HOPEFULLY EVERONE HERE KNOWS THAT WWW.SOUTHSIDEMACHINE.COM) (http://WWW.SOUTHSIDEMACHINE.COM)) IS STILLHEREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cavemanmoron
Jun 8th, 03, 02:43 AM
Originally posted by Lynda:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by johnnyr:
I recieved a reply last night from Linda they are still in business, The traction bars I need are in stock. THANKS!!! HOPEFULLY EVERONE HERE KNOWS THAT WWW.SOUTHSIDEMACHINE.COM (http://WWW.SOUTHSIDEMACHINE.COM) IS STILL HEREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! </font>[/QUOTE]i think i fixed the link for you,it has a ")"
after .com that needs to be removed for the link to work,.
Lee graemlins/beers.gif http://www.southsidemachine.com

BillsCamino
Jun 8th, 03, 03:39 AM
Originally posted by Lynda:
HEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
POST THE TRUTH PLEASE
I AM THE OWNER OF SSM
I HEARD ABOUT YOU POST....OMG WHY??????????? LORD HAVE MERCY ON YOU.. MY DAD IS NOT!!! DEAD!!!!!!!!! GOD... THANKS YOU A/h Lynda,
I'm glad to hear that your father is well! :cool:
Your problem is not with me...it's with your so called regional distributors! I'm just repeating what I was told on the phone at TWO different occasions by YOUR AUTHORIZED DISTRIBUTORS when I tried to place an order. :mad:
I was a potential customer...no reason to believe what I was told was not the "truth".
Sorry but it looks like your problem is with your distribution network...not me. :eek:
Like I posted previously, don't shoot the messenger...
GOD... THANKS YOU A/h And there's no reason to cuss me! :mad:

Lynda
Jun 8th, 03, 05:41 AM
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Lynda:
HEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
POST THE TRUTH PLEASE
I AM THE OWNER OF SSM
I HEARD ABOUT YOU POST....OMG WHY??????????? LORD HAVE MERCY ON YOU.. MY DAD IS NOT!!! DEAD!!!!!!!!! GOD... THANKS YOU A/h Lynda,
I'm glad to hear that your father is well! :cool:
Your problem is not with me...it's with your so called regional distributors! I'm just repeating what I was told on the phone at TWO different occasions by YOUR AUTHORIZED DISTRIBUTORS when I tried to place an order. :mad:
I was a potential customer...no reason to believe what I was told was not the "truth".
Sorry but it looks like your problem is with your distribution network...not me. :eek:
Like I posted previously, don't shoot the messenger...
GOD... THANKS YOU A/h And there's no reason to cuss me! :mad: </font>[/QUOTE]Hello, I am sorry if I upset you in my last post, but when I received your post, I was very upset to think that anyone would spread a nasty rumor like that about my Father, that is so wrong of anyone to say or assume. I do believe that you as well would not like a Rumor like about your own father right?
I can be an emotional person sometimes and that just hit me the wrong way, hopefully you understand why, nothing personl against you, I was just stating the facts ( TRUTH )..
I would greatly appreciate it if you would privately email me and let me know which 2 dealers you are speaking of, I would like to personally call them myself and straighten this out with them, maybe that would help out everyone.
Thanks in advance!
Lynda- SSM
6514 N. Honeytown Road
Smithville, Ohio 44677
330-669-3556
SSMCOINC@AOL.COM or SSMAUTOLIFTBARSL@AOL.COM
or you can fax any info, questions or concerns to: 330-435-4630 ;) graemlins/thumbsup.gif

67_camaro
Jun 8th, 03, 07:35 AM
Linda - If you folks are doing business then why can I not call you? I get full answering machines, enter your code greetings from your machine and I sent several Emails none of which have been replied to. The folks here are not spreading rumors, when every single sign points to you being out of business and THREE yes 3 venders will no longer sell your product because they can't get a hold of you and can't get products to sell, what conclusions would you come up with?

Can you explain the reason for this and give everyone warm fuzzies as to why this has been happening? I think you owe us that much since WE are the people who buy/try to buy your product.

Lee

Lynda
Jun 9th, 03, 03:41 PM
Lee [/QB][/QUOTE]

First of all, I do not ever assume the worst about anyone or any Company nor spread untruths about anything I do not have first hand hard facts on to back myself up with.
I do know of 1 dealer, that is not recieving any shipments from us because of issues with payments being late, and 1 dealer that I do keep in contact with regularly that does have our product line on hold only, because they are aware of the fact that we have recently relocated the Manufacturing to a different building and would have to take a slight delay getting readjusted and setting machinery etc back up, and they were kind enough to understand this, and will be adding the product line back to their line shortly.
Also, no we have not gone out of business, nor sold out, and of all things my father is not dead.
Simply putting it, my father Louis H. Gilbert decided it was time for him to retire and relax, therefore, me and my Brother decided to take over Manufacturer the Lift Bars, and we did have to take some time off to go through all the paperwork etc.. that is involved in starting a Company, and we also relocated the business as i stated above, which, yes did make for some delays in shipping products, but we have not ever really stopped shipping, just that it was in smaller quanties at that time, which some of my dealers took as we were closing up or that we discontinued some products, which is not true, and i have contacted them about this. We are still making the complete line of SSM products.
Some Companies did get wind that my father was retiring, and made him several offers to buy him out, but his answer to them all was NO, which did make for some hard feelings , but it was never in his mind to sell out, that is why me and my brother have been working with our father all our lifes, to be able learn and take over for the future generation, and that is what we are doing.
As to the answering machine always being full, well that is because we get a high volume of calls daily, some ordering, tech Q's, and recently so many wanting to know if we are in business, emails as well, which i am trying to get caught up on asap,and have recently hired help with getting all customers answered therefore if you sent me an email that did not get responded to, I am sorry, but I also know that some email addresses get returned to me? Not sure why, maybe they were typed in wrong.
Resend me your email? I will personally make sure that it gets answered, I have been working day and night on this subject, so far I have had a great response from my customers, and that is appreciated greatly.
Hopefully this helps? If you have more questions or comments, feel free to contact me.

No hard feelings here, I do understand your questioning and Thank you for asking me first hand about what is going on at South Side.

Sincerely,
Lynda Gilbert
SSM Auto Lift Bars, LLC
fax# 330-435-4630
Email to: ssmautoliftbarsl@ao.com