327 and Vortec Heads [Archive] - Team Camaro Tech

: 327 and Vortec Heads

RickB1B
Dec 10th, 99, 04:19 PM
I have a stock 67 camaro with stock 327 in it. I would like to up the power to a good all around street driving car. I am considering puting in some new GM vortec heads. Is there any gotchas with doing this or is it a straight bolt in. Thanks in advance Rick

MarkM
Dec 10th, 99, 04:32 PM
Vortec heads look great, I've seen two magazines put these heads on a 350 and got around 370 hp. They are cheap too, complete scoggin dickey sells them for $400. You will have to buy an intake manafold dedicated for this style heads. good choice.

1st & 2nd GENGuy
Dec 10th, 99, 05:03 PM
Jim Pace GM Parts Warehouse has an ad in the January 2000 Car Craft advertising vortecs for $418 and a drilled version (86 and prior manifolds) for $478. www.paceparts.com or 1-800-748-3791.

Good luck!

1st & 2nd GENGuy
Dec 10th, 99, 05:04 PM
Jim Pace GM Parts Warehouse has an ad in the January 2000 Car Craft advertising vortecs for $418 and a drilled version (86 and prior manifolds) for $478. www.paceparts.com or 1-800-748-3791.

Good luck!

PS while you repalce the heads consider a cam also.

gregmontgomery
Dec 22nd, 99, 04:56 PM
if your going to replace the heads replace the cam also take advantage of the potential of the heads.

josh_sallee
Dec 23rd, 99, 07:52 PM
i think you have to use the self-aligning rocker arms with those heads. but i have also heard some impresive things about those vortec heads.

josh

DOUG G
Dec 24th, 99, 09:59 AM
Josh is correct about the special rockers,and yes for an extra exspence you get them drilled for old style intakes.

------------------

[This message has been edited by DOUG G (edited 12-24-1999).]

Vitriol
Dec 26th, 99, 03:49 AM
If you can afford it though, I'd go with the Vortec-style intake (Performer or RPM etc.) since they are port-matched to take full advantage of the heads, moreso than the older intakes.

Doug Garland
Dec 26th, 99, 12:54 PM
I saw a price breakdown on the Vortec heads on the Team Chevelle page, and after getting the heads, G.M. intake, rocker arms, valve covers, and all the things to put them on with,you could have over $800 in them.Not as good a bargain as they seem, but they do flow well from all the charts I have seen. Just thought you should know.Click below:
www.chevelles.com/forum/Forum1/HTML/001933.html (http://www.chevelles.com/forum/Forum1/HTML/001933.html)

[This message has been edited by Doug Garland (edited 12-26-1999).]

Vitriol
Dec 29th, 99, 05:24 AM
Not as good a bargain as they seem? Let's not be misleading here. If someone is doing a *complete* rebuild, replacing all those parts in the process, it is a great bargain. However, if someone wants to just upgrade their heads, it is probably not the way to go.

sixtsevnssrs
Dec 29th, 99, 06:47 AM
I am not to familiar with the vortec heads but if I were going to spend that kind of money I would definatly look into the Edelbrock aluminum heads or something like the trick-flows twisted wedge, some really good heads. I have a set of the Edelbrock Performer RPM's and would not trade them for anything.
you have not mentioned which heads that you have. Just stock. If they are the camel hump heads you allready have an excellent set of heads. cast numbers ending in 461 or 462 I believe are the ones to look for. I think the 461's are more desireable being the 2.02/1.60 valves instead of the 1.94/1.50 valves. With some machine work these heads with there 64cc chambers are real power makers. Machine work needed would be port and polish, triple angle valve job, screw in studs, z28 style springs and some good rockers, dont forget the hardened valve seats, some good valves. But by the time you get all this you could of had something like the aftermarket aluminums, which give you a weight savings as well, with the machine work already completed.
Either way you will add some extra ponys to your Camaro. Performance costs, bottom line. What you want to do is the question.
Just my couple of cents worth.

------------------
Tim
67 ss/rs, MODIFIED
http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/speedway/6792
IM - sixtsevnss

Vitriol
Dec 29th, 99, 08:38 AM
I see your point Tim, but it's really no comparison for someone who wants to upgrade/rebuild everything.
Vortec heads, gasket, rockers, intake, valve covers, carb, water pump, etc etc for $1000 OR
one pair of (bare?) Edelbrock aluminum heads $1000
Possibly an entire engine rebuild or just the heads, take your pick.

MarkM
Dec 29th, 99, 11:51 AM
Edelbrock perfromer rpm heads are sold complete, and are under 1k.

sixtsevnssrs
Dec 30th, 99, 05:41 AM
V, I do like the rides that can blast from 0-60 in 5 seconds and if you can do that with a stock look then thats awsome.
Mark, Edelblrock makes so many different packages for their aluminum cylinder heads it would make your head spin.
BB or SB, angled plugs or straight, bare or complete, 64cc or 70cc chambers, regular performer or RPM performer, or torker or whatever, new style heads for 86 and up, corvette style, 23 degree heads for the SB2 block, and thats just Chevrolet. They have there hands in just about everything right now. Hell I think they have an aluminum cylinder head for my 5 hp briggs & stratton on my lawnmower. Well maybe not. But you are all right, and some great advice has been shared, but the decision on what to do is up to Rick.
If it were me I would put a blower on it with some big meats and just have fun. http://www.camaros.net/forum/wink.gif

------------------
Tim
67 ss/rs, MODIFIED
http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/speedway/6792
IM - sixtsevnss

Crash
Dec 30th, 99, 12:58 PM
I too am in the middle of this problem.I presemtly have 305 heads on my 350.Now do I go with a recondition set of double humps($700 cdn) or get a set used but not done yet($200) or I can get a set of 462 castings for $100 and work them over for another $400 or get a set of vortecs for $600 but need another intake. The possibilities seem endless. I've seen in recent articles how the Vortecs flow but does anyone have an idea how a set of 462 with 3-angle,ported and other good stuff added to them might flow?

zzre
Dec 31st, 99, 02:26 PM
David Vizard did a comparsion test between a Double Hump 186 casting, World Products torquer, and a Sportsman head in an issue of Drag Racing Monthly. The Vortex 906 casting was mentioned, but not compared to the others, but David rated the Vortex as being a better head than the Double Hump. Significance: If David Vizard says it is a better head, then it is a better head. Technology has come along ways in thirty years. As far as street motors are concerned I honestly believe the cost/performance ratio of these heads is difficult to beat. I have a set of 461X heads on my 327. I have several, well quite alot, of porting and homemade flow bench testing done on these heads, and close to a $1000.00 invested in them and I already had the heads. Not worth it! The combustion chamber design is far superior on the Vortex along with port induced swirl.

Racing
Jan 2nd, 00, 02:39 AM
As far as double humpers go then..
461:s are the early fuelie heads.
What differs them from the rest,is that the placement of the plug is LOWER in the CC.
Not a good thing if you run domed pistons.
If you insist on doubles,iŽd say that 292:s are the way to go as far as performance is concerned.
Vortechs then.
The make the best STREET head out there for the moment IMO.
Mark that i ephasize STREET.
If you plan on revving past 6 grand,they downright SUCK compared to the other heads,as Dart aso.

------------------
DVC-98.Racing
470 cubes of fogger injected thunder in a 71 z.
racing@mbox303.swipnet.se (http://racing@mbox303.swipnet.se)

JimM
Jan 4th, 00, 06:33 AM
The Edelbrock heads are priced competitively with the vortecs when you look at the whole picture, after all, your old rockers, valve covers and intake manifold fit. For street use, either would be a better choice than reworked old heads. The difference is the cumbustion chamber. I've got a set of performers (70cc) on a 355 in a truck, and you can't make these heads ping, not ever! I can advance the ignition until it will barely crank over, and no ping ever, even on 87 octane!

gregmontgomery
Jan 4th, 00, 04:10 PM
if your going to buy heads take a look at gms.new fast burn heads.

eggie
May 29th, 00, 04:53 PM
i dont know about edelbrock heads but i can tell you thatt the vortec heads are worth the money i have a set on my camaro and i use the car for street strip reasons and i bolted a set on my car and droped a 1/2 sec in 1/4 mile time over 462 double hump heads that had 202 valves and mild port work so if you ask me buy the vortec heads and a friend of mine still cant keep up with me after he spent all his money the edelbrock rpm package

BAD97Z28CONV
May 30th, 00, 09:37 AM
Well how many miles do u have on the bottom end. if the mileage is up there it may not be a good idea to put some fresh heads on it, may blow ur rings......

ozzman
May 30th, 00, 05:24 PM
I had a set of 461's on a rebuilt 327. there hard to find but I would go with them myself.

jack76
Oct 1st, 00, 01:41 AM
if your going to replace your 305 heads Iwould get the trick flow 23 degree heads
thats what I replaced my 305 heads with and it was like day and night and they are only 850.00 complete.

Speedy
Oct 15th, 00, 06:31 AM
I have a set of 462 camel humps. I ported and
polished them and had 2.02/1.60 valves put in them. I port matched them and the intake manifold too. The guy at my local machine shop said I did a good job on them. Is this combo better than a set of Vortecs? Could a set of ported and polished Vortecs out perform my heads? I just the 462's bolted up and running and then I read about the Chevy Vortecs. I guess that's how it goes.

Lonnie67
Oct 15th, 00, 12:34 PM
Something else to consider when buying heads. How much cam can the springs handle. Stainless steel valves. Screw in studs vs press in. Do they include studs and guide plates. Thickness of the deck and manifold surface. Type of guides and seals. Long term stuff.

------------------
67 Camaro 410sb 11.63 @117.6
67 Camaro 388 ET-???
website (http://www.geocities.com/lonnie67_1966)

tom3
Oct 15th, 00, 04:28 PM
Boy, this post has been around for a while.

69 CAMARO MAN
Dec 16th, 01, 07:36 PM
VORTEC HEADS PLACE FORTH IN A MID FLOW TEST. AT 0.300-INCH VALVE LIFT. THE BEST WAY TO TEST FOR STREET PERFORMANCE. THEY PLACE HIGHER THEN AFR 195,EDELBROCK RPM,WORLD SPORTSMAN 2-200 AND LOTS OF OTHER HP AFTER MARKET HEADS. ITS ALL IN CHEVY HIGH PERFORMANCE MAGAZINE-DECEMBER 2001 ISSUE. THE VORTEC HEADS ALSO HAVE A BETTER COMBUSTION CAMBER DESIGN, THAT LOWER THE CHANCE FOR DETONATION (PING). WAY DO YOU THINK EDELBROCK COPY THE DESIGN ON THERE E-TEC HEADS

My68Project
Dec 17th, 01, 07:10 PM
I understand the need for a different intake with the Vortec heads, but what about the exhaust manifold on a first generation?
Has anyone tried using the stock Exhaust manifold and A/C bracket with a set of Vortec heads on a 1st gen. 327?