are stock z28 pistons worth anything? [Archive] - Team Camaro Tech

: are stock z28 pistons worth anything?

victimizati0n
Dec 1st, 08, 07:45 PM
i was just thinking, maybe they might be worth some cash to someone who wants to build an engine with original parts

they are the stock 11:1 comp 69' z28 pistons made by TRW

any dollar value? it would be nice to sell them and maybe get some different pistons.. maybe :confused:

mean buzzen half dozen
Dec 1st, 08, 08:46 PM
Are they forged?

MBHD

victimizati0n
Dec 1st, 08, 09:17 PM
forged aluminum

TJS69
Dec 1st, 08, 10:10 PM
Someone here on the board was just looking for some of those.

You are talking NOS never used. Right ?

victimizati0n
Dec 2nd, 08, 04:36 AM
Someone here on the board was just looking for some of those.

You are talking NOS never used. Right ?

no, they are used

cpisane
Dec 2nd, 08, 08:29 AM
I got almost $150 on ebay over a year ago for used factory set of standard not so nice 302 pistons.I didnt think they were worth anything really. They were.

victimizati0n
Dec 2nd, 08, 11:50 AM
I got almost $150 on ebay over a year ago for used factory set of standard not so nice 302 pistons.I didnt think they were worth anything really. They were.

thanks.. for that price i would just keep them.. they are part number TRW 3927172

NHBandit
Dec 3rd, 08, 03:54 AM
thanks.. for that price i would just keep them.. they are part number TRW 3927172 Please don't take offense but what makes you think USED ones should be worth any more than $150 ? I assume they are standard bore which makes them a little harder to sell since the chances of anyone having a std. DZ block that has a perfect bore these days is a little slim. They would actually be worth a bit more if they were .030 over. A couple years ago I put a set on Ebay myself that was 7 mint used std pistons, 1 new replacement that matched the others, and a slightly used Z/28 cam & lifters and the whole lot sold for around $200. The hardest thing to find for anyone building a 69 302 other than the correct DZ block is a good crankshaft. Pistons can still be had new for a reasonable price.

victimizati0n
Dec 3rd, 08, 06:15 AM
Please don't take offense but what makes you think USED ones should be worth any more than $150 ? I assume they are standard bore which makes them a little harder to sell since the chances of anyone having a std. DZ block that has a perfect bore these days is a little slim. They would actually be worth a bit more if they were .030 over. A couple years ago I put a set on Ebay myself that was 7 mint used std pistons, 1 new replacement that matched the others, and a slightly used Z/28 cam & lifters and the whole lot sold for around $200. The hardest thing to find for anyone building a 69 302 other than the correct DZ block is a good crankshaft. Pistons can still be had new for a reasonable price.

because i see a lot of people on this forum, and i see a lot of people building cars that want original stuff

i see replacement z28 pistons that arent even forged aluminum sell in restoration magazines for $500 and usually original stuff is worth more to build something that is completely correct instead of remade stuff

1969 RS/SS DROPTOP
Dec 3rd, 08, 06:59 AM
because i see a lot of people on this forum, and i see a lot of people building cars that want original stuff

i see replacement z28 pistons that arent even forged aluminum sell in restoration magazines for $500 and usually original stuff is worth more to build something that is completely correct instead of remade stuff

I do not know anyone that considers TRW pistons as "original" for a 302, Around here TRW pistons can be bought today cheap.

victimizati0n
Dec 3rd, 08, 07:38 AM
I do not know anyone that considers TRW pistons as "original" for a 302, Around here TRW pistons can be bought today cheap.

these pistons came out of a DZ302, how can they not be considered an original piston?

69Z28-RS
Dec 3rd, 08, 11:08 AM
TRW made them for Chevrolet in 1969... I've got a set from my car too, when I had to bore it 0.030, I kept the original ones.. they are in good shape, waiting for me to find a use... I 'almost' put them in a bored out 283 a few years ago (it was a '59 block), but it only needed to be bored to 0.080... *G* maybe next time I'll go the 1/8".. :)

Before anyone says 'no way'... 301's built from 283s bored 0.125 were the hot thing on the street/track back in the '60's.. way before Chevy thought of the Z28/302.. you just need a 283 with thick walls, and the '59's were usually the best for that...

victimizati0n
Dec 3rd, 08, 11:50 AM
TRW made them for Chevrolet in 1969... I've got a set from my car too, when I had to bore it 0.030, I kept the original ones.. they are in good shape, waiting for me to find a use... I 'almost' put them in a bored out 283 a few years ago (it was a '59 block), but it only needed to be bored to 0.080... *G* maybe next time I'll go the 1/8".. :)

Before anyone says 'no way'... 301's built from 283s bored 0.125 were the hot thing on the street/track back in the '60's.. way before Chevy thought of the Z28/302.. you just need a 283 with thick walls, and the '59's were usually the best for that...

i thought the 301 engine was a 327 with a 283 crank in them, they are now called 302's because of chevy, but back then they called them 301

BPOS
Dec 3rd, 08, 12:09 PM
i thought the 301 engine was a 327 with a 283 crank in them, they are now called 302's because of chevy, but back then they called them 301

Before the 327 was available they bored the 283 to 4.00 (+.125)

victimizati0n
Dec 3rd, 08, 12:34 PM
Before the 327 was available they bored the 283 to 4.00 (+.125)

thats quite amazing, although im under the impression that the 283 and the 327, etc are the same exact block, just with a smaller bore?

69Z28-RS
Dec 3rd, 08, 02:15 PM
I think the outer dimensions are the same, but the water jackets must be different, as not *all* 283's could be successfully bored 1/8".... without getting too close to the water jackets and causing overheating. People were doing this BEFORE 1962 when the 327 came out....

NHBandit
Dec 3rd, 08, 06:50 PM
Used to be fairly common to do that and the bore & stroke on a homebuilt 301 and a factory built 302 are exactly the same, just different CID designation. I suspect if you do the bore & stroke math it comes out to somewhere between the 2. I remember having an old 283 bored .125 over back in the day and being charged double by the machine shop for the bore job. If my fuzzy memory is correct the old rule of thumb was to pop out the freezeplugs and see if a standard size pencil would fit between the cylinder walls. If it fit the cylinders were too thin to bore it that much. The other drawback with using a 283 block was that once you wore out the 4" bore you were done because there wasn't enough meat left in the cylinders to go anymore oversize. Using a small journal 327 block to start with was a way better solution. Going the other way and putting a 327 crank in a 283 block gets you a 307..