My camel hump heads [Archive] - Team Camaro Tech

: My camel hump heads

bluchevygrl69
Apr 27th, 09, 03:49 PM
Hi all,
I have a 1978 Z28 camaro that I am in the middle of restoring.. This car is sweet. I have the build sheet found it behind the rear seat.. It is in great condition too. I bought a 350 race engine with camel hump 202?? heads.. the heads don't have holes for the air and power steering pullies.. I just know all of you know about this ,but was a huge suprise to me and now I need the coolest,cheapest,fast fix as I want to keep these heads!!!!:thumbsup:

Gambitt
Apr 27th, 09, 04:14 PM
The cheapest fix would probably be to buy a new set of heads...I have been through a similar situation and that is eventually what I ended up doing. New vortec heads are cheap and powerful.

Apr 27th, 09, 04:36 PM
Not going to be easy.
Like Gambitt said, the cheapest and easiest way is late model heads.

Otherwise You will have to search for a combination of brackets and pulleys for a short water pump. And even then, some of those brackets mounted to the stock intake manifold and the stock exhaust manifolds.

jr68
Apr 27th, 09, 04:57 PM
drill and tap the heads so you can attach the brackets.

Melrose RS
Apr 27th, 09, 05:30 PM
I had a machine shop drill accessory holes before. It was no big deal to them.

scblucam
Apr 27th, 09, 05:33 PM
Since the heads are not machined flat you will need to shim the brackets after drilling

Vintage 68
Apr 27th, 09, 05:48 PM
I had a machine shop drill accessory holes before. It was no big deal to them.

It becomes a 'big' deal the minute you hit the water jacket though ;)
The heads are also not thick enough to sustain the bolt threads over the long run, the factory castings were reinforced in this area to allow the heads to carry the fasteners and loads.

There are several small serpentine belt systems that only use the water pump and lower water pump / block holes.
One of these set-ups would allow you to retain the heads.
Here is one example - http://www.dunebuggy.com/shop/index.mp?szAction=viewItem&iItemID=1735&szReturnTo=FEATURED

You can also use the March #22020 system and the optional #20122 rear mount bracket for the alternator for use with heads without bolt holes.
The system will run @$500~600 depending on where you get it.

So obviously, the good advice given above - about just changing to a good set of later heads - would run about the same $$$ by the time you're done...

Hope this helps:

Badbird
Apr 27th, 09, 05:55 PM
Sorry, but these humper heads cannot be drilled for accessories:noway:, way too risky to even attempt!.....I'm afraid you'll need a new set of aftermarket cylinder heads!:yes:

bluchevygrl69
Apr 27th, 09, 06:13 PM
so tell me about these vortech heads???

Badbird
Apr 27th, 09, 06:20 PM

You must remember, this type of cylinder head will require a different intake manifold and valve covers, maybe more....:yes:

speedfreek
Apr 27th, 09, 06:23 PM
drill and tap the heads so you can attach the brackets.
This is what I did with mine.

victimizati0n
Apr 27th, 09, 06:26 PM

meh, i wouldnt get them, you can get a much better set out there

Gambitt
Apr 27th, 09, 06:41 PM
True, there are other alternatives. Any good modern set of cast iron or aluminum heads would be great. I did forget that I had to buy an intake and new valve covers. Probably buying a new set of traditional heads you can use your existing parts with would be the best option. Summit racing and Jegs both carry these heads. Expect to spend $500 and up on a new set of heads, but that is still better than having an old set reworked.

TJS69
Apr 27th, 09, 06:54 PM
I am not sure what the '78 Camaro needs for accessory holes, but my '69, only needed one bolt hole drilled and tapped for the alternator. This was done in '99 and is still holding. I doubt water is anywhere near this one hole.

Melrose RS
Apr 27th, 09, 07:03 PM
I am not sure what the '78 Camaro needs for accessory holes, but my '69, only needed one bolt hole drilled and tapped for the alternator. This was done in '99 and is still holding. I doubt water is anywhere near this one hole.

You jogged my memory. Same case as mine. :yes:

speedfreek
Apr 27th, 09, 07:06 PM
You jogged my memory. Same case as mine. :yes:
x3 Mine too.

Camaros-n-Chevelles
Apr 27th, 09, 07:18 PM
Why not purchase a short water pump and set of 62-68 Brackets and Pulleys?

jr68
Apr 27th, 09, 07:47 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but if you hit water from drilling into a jacket can't you just use the same sealer on the threads you use when a head bolt runs into a water jacket.

mbrekke
Apr 28th, 09, 06:20 AM
She said she also has air and power steering. Way more of a problem than one hole to drill...

Cheapest, easiest thing is different heads. Check the classifieds on this site and Team Chevelle. Someone may have a set of decent used heads they will sell you for half the price of new.

Mark

TJS69
Apr 28th, 09, 07:14 AM
My '69 HAS power steering and Air conditioning. Drill the One hole and use '69 brackets if necessary ! I am not a fan of Camel back heads (the intake port is too small), but if you have them... it can be done.

Gambitt
Apr 28th, 09, 08:49 AM
Reworking everything (pulleys, belts, brackets) sounds easy in theory, but in actuality it is a huge pain. I went through this with my old Chevy pickup...a new set of heads was the easiest option.

TJS69
Apr 28th, 09, 09:43 AM
The biggest problem in the World today, it is easiest to just throw money at the problem and hope it will all go away. You are looking at an $800 - $1000 for a decent set of heads. (vor tecs included by the time you buy an intake and valve covers) Sure, you can buy a set of Boat anchors (heads with bolt holes that are cheap) and you will want to upgrade anyway.

mbrekke
Apr 28th, 09, 11:58 AM
Reworking everything (pulleys, belts, brackets) sounds easy in theory, but in actuality it is a huge pain. I went through this with my old Chevy pickup...a new set of heads was the easiest option.

That was kind of my point since she'll have to remove the intake and at least one head no matter what, and then deal with all the brackets and pulleys on top of it.

The biggest problem in the World today, it is easiest to just throw money at the problem and hope it will all go away. You are looking at an $800 - $1000 for a decent set of heads. (vor tecs included by the time you buy an intake and valve covers) Sure, you can buy a set of Boat anchors (heads with bolt holes that are cheap) and you will want to upgrade anyway.

I'd be willing to bet she can find a decent set of usable 'as is' heads in the $300-500 range that will be equal to, or better, performance wise than the old double humps. Then she can sell the humps to some local circle track guy for $150-200 and only be out a couple hundred bucks.

Deanne, put an ad in the wanted section here and Team Chevelle and I bet you get several offers. Anyone reading this have a set of usable or rebuilt heads with accessory holes they want to get rid of cheap? ;)

Mark

Z15CAM
Apr 28th, 09, 12:11 PM
I do NOT know why members are saying that you can NOT drill and tap a 68 head to run a 69/70 pulley system because I've done it for years and by hand. You do have to use a thick cylinder stub or NUT on both sides of the casting and flush the surface but it's no big deal. The Tap is well above the water jackets and there is enough material such that it will not crack the casting; the alternative is to run the 68 pulley system.

Believe it or not but there is a GM Bracket that mounts to the Exhaust Studs which positions a nut in front of the Cylinder Head to accept the long Alternator bolt and bracket. This Bracket is RARE and hard to find. It works best using Ram Horn exhaust but can be adapted with Headers if you stud the exhaust bolt and space it. Try GM parts or look for a 69 GM 350 Model for this bracket.

mbrekke
Apr 28th, 09, 12:31 PM
I do NOT know why members are saying that you can NOT drill and tap a 68 head to run a 69/70 pulley system because I've done it for years and by hand. You do have to use a thick cylinder stub to flush the surface but it's no big deal. The Tap is well above the water jackets and there is enough material such that it will not crack the casting; the alternative is to run the 68 pulley system.

We're not saying it CAN'T be done, just that it would probably be in her best interest to get different heads since she will need to remove the double humps anyway, and then have to find all the brackets and pulleys she needs for the alternator, power steering and air-co to make them work. Assuming she currently has the brackets and pulleys that came off the car... She'll probably want different heads in a year anyway. ;)

How much will all the pulley systems cost along with drilling the heads? See my previous post about how much a head upgrade should cost her after selling off the humps. Here's an example of what $500 can get you.

http://www.camaros.net/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=34256&cat=all

And then subtract what you sell the old heads for and you've got a rebuilt, updated pair of heads with accessory holes for a few hundred bucks that will accept all the 70's brackets that came off the car.

If it were just a matter of drilling one hole for the alternator it wouldn't be a big deal. I ran a set of 462's with the long water pump and 70's pulleys without even drilling the hole. Just ran a bolt through the bracket with a nut on ther other side to keep the alt. from vibrating. Worked fine for many years. I didn't have power steering and air-co though.

Mark

69SS 350 5 Speed
May 1st, 09, 05:27 AM
I'm going to throw in my 2 cents. I agree the that the easiset thing to do is replace the haeds with a set that have the accessory holes drilled. Then follow it up by checking the casting date of the heads and advertise them on a Corvette web site. There is always someone looking for camel hump heads for their 327's to complete a fuelie conversion. In all likelyhood you could come out on top.

z28rod
May 1st, 09, 05:48 AM
These look like a great deal and I know guys that run them in there bracket cars untouched right out of the box !!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SBC-CHEVY-350-383-406-210CC-ALUMINUM-HEADS-64CC_W0QQitemZ250410948558QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotor s_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item25041094855 8&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=72%3A1171%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A130 9

This is for one pair of fully assembled aluminum heads, to be used with hydraulic flat tappet cams up to .550 lift.