Best Oil Pan Gasket [Archive] - Team Camaro Tech

: Best Oil Pan Gasket

KMG69
Apr 28th, 09, 09:53 AM
I have an oil leak that is comming from the rear of the oil pan, appears to be the gasket. It has a one piece gasket from Fel-Pro. It's a fresh rebuilt
SBC 350 with a Moroso oil pan. The engine was broken in on the dyno, and it did leak in the same place as now. The builder said he put a new gasket, started it up again and it didn't leak. Now the engine is in the car, with only a couple of miles on it, with this leak. I can say that I have no other leaks anywhere else. I'm thinking of doing the gasket change with the engine in the car by lifting it for clearance. Not happy at all at the moment! But I have to get it done. I don't want to go with the same gasket if it's going to leak again. Any suggestions on gaskets would be appreciated. It's a '69 block with a stock front timing cover. Oil pan is also studded, which may pose some problems getting the oil pan out. Thanks in advance, if I left anything out, please let me know and I will provide the needed info.

Ken

68bigblockSS
Apr 28th, 09, 10:21 AM
those one piece fel-pro gaskets usualy work pretty good. you do have to have the surfaces completly dry to get a good seal and dont use any silicone. you might just try a multi piece cork set .

KMG69
Apr 28th, 09, 10:31 AM
those one piece fel-pro gaskets usualy work pretty good. you do have to have the surfaces completly dry to get a good seal and dont use any silicone. you might just try a multi piece cork set .

Yeah, thats exactly what the builder told me, they were good gaskets.
You mention no silicone as well, when I get in there with a light I can see silicone between the gasket and the rear main cap. Seems like he did this to keep the gasket in position, while installing the pan. What might be a good adhesive to do this when I get in there to fix this?

Ken

Mike68RS
Apr 28th, 09, 01:53 PM

I have had a failed Fel Pro one piece oil pan gasket just like these guys.

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=270644&highlight=piece+oil

I just installed a Corteco one piece pan gasket.

Mike

CNC BLOCKS N/E
Apr 28th, 09, 02:39 PM
I have had a failed Fel Pro one piece oil pan gasket just like these guys.

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=270644&highlight=piece+oil

I just installed a Corteco one piece pan gasket.

Mike

I have never liked the Felpro one peice pan gasket and the Corteco 16635 is a much better gasket!!!!!!!!!

PRO 48 Fleetline
Apr 28th, 09, 02:59 PM
I used a milodon on my 406 its a one peice! works nice!

fatblock
Apr 28th, 09, 05:41 PM
Both felpro one piece oil pan gskts that i used failed with two different pans..albeit under the timing chain cover.Never again for me.Went back to a victor cork and rubber with rtv in the corners and dry as a bone.

cc82z-28
Apr 28th, 09, 05:54 PM
I too had bad luck with the Fel-Pro 1 pc gasket for my 350 and now my 400, leaks at the back and it wasn't the main. This time while I had to to do a rebuild of the 406, I put in a Victor Reinz 1 pc from CNC Motorsports.com and I have to say I really liked the way it made compared to the Fel-Pro and the material it is made of is Victo-Tech Rubber instead of the silicone type. I was able to put ultra black around the ends of the timing cover and the back end of the pan as well as the corners as suggested. Though I have not had the car running yet, I feel better about the way it went together and pretty confident that it won't leak. I'll know hopefully by the end of the this weekend.

ssdoug
Apr 28th, 09, 05:54 PM
WOW I thought it was just me with FEL-PRO one peice gaskets now I feel better.

67SS&99SS
Apr 28th, 09, 05:58 PM
I've had bad luck with them too with my car. I've done what your talking about doing 3 times, and it sucks. I finally had to pull the motor to get it right. I put it back on the dyno to ensure that it wasn't leaking before I put it back in the car the last time.

speedfreek
Apr 28th, 09, 07:18 PM
Dang. I was gonna say to use the Fel-pro one piece and that I've had good luck with them until I read how many of you have had problems with them. I always used a little silicone in the corners and they sealed fine.

Steiner
Apr 28th, 09, 10:28 PM
I put a one-piece FelPro in mine and it didn't leak for the thirty minute run. The thing to be sure of at the rear is that the little recesses are completely clean and free of any old RTV and degreased. Nothing sticks to old RTV, not even new RTV. The gasket has two little tabs that go up into those recesses and there along with the front corners at the timing cover should be the only place RTV is needed on the one-piece.

I did mine with the motor in the car and actually had to jack the pan up onto the motor to get the bolts in. The two ends of the gasket had to kinda stretch around the round parts on the front and rear. That coupled with the thickness of the gasket made for a big headache trying to get the bolts in while holding the pan up by hand.

KMG69
Apr 29th, 09, 09:02 AM
Thanks to everyone for the information and feedback! Looks like I won't be going with the Fel-Pro one piece again. Where can I get the Corteco gaskets from? I haven't done a search for them yet. I can already imagine my frustrations under the car taking care of this problem. You guys think I should pull the engine? Grrrrrrr!

:beers:

Ken

ace's68
Apr 29th, 09, 09:14 AM
They make 2 different one piece gaskets for the sbc's, depending on which year model.
I'm beginning to wonder if some of you recieved the wrong ones.
Mine works fine, your supposed to apply a small ammount of silicone on the corners by the timing cover and rear main.

satz28
Apr 29th, 09, 10:01 AM
I've had no problems with Fel-Pros 1 pc gaskets. I have one on the oil pan and both vlave cover. I'm also using the blue Fel-Pro t'stat gasket.

No problems at all.

KMG69
Apr 29th, 09, 10:16 AM
I've had no problems with Fel-Pros 1 pc gaskets. I have one on the oil pan and both vlave cover. I'm also using the blue Fel-Pro t'stat gasket.

No problems at all.

Glad to hear some of you have had good experiences with the Fel-Pros!:thumbsup:

victor3ranger
Apr 29th, 09, 10:57 AM
Where do you get the Corteco gasket?? Someone have a part number or a source??

ssdoug
Apr 29th, 09, 03:41 PM
They make 2 different one piece gaskets for the sbc's, depending on which year model.
I'm beginning to wonder if some of you recieved the wrong ones.
Mine works fine, your supposed to apply a small ammount of silicone on the corners by the timing cover and rear main.
The one i had leak was the thick front that i had to use for a jesel belt drive .This was on my own motor two times :(

KMG69
Apr 29th, 09, 03:48 PM
I too had bad luck with the Fel-Pro 1 pc gasket for my 350 and now my 400, leaks at the back and it wasn't the main. This time while I had to to do a rebuild of the 406, I put in a Victor Reinz 1 pc from CNC Motorsports.com and I have to say I really liked the way it made compared to the Fel-Pro and the material it is made of is Victo-Tech Rubber instead of the silicone type. I was able to put ultra black around the ends of the timing cover and the back end of the pan as well as the corners as suggested. Though I have not had the car running yet, I feel better about the way it went together and pretty confident that it won't leak. I'll know hopefully by the end of the this weekend.

Let us know how it goes!
Ken

cc82z-28
Apr 29th, 09, 05:23 PM
Let us know how it goes!
Ken
I will for sure, I am getting close to having this buttoned up. :hurray:

KMG69
Jun 19th, 09, 01:35 PM
I used a milodon on my 406 its a one peice! works nice!

My block is 350 '69 thin seal, I just received a Milodon one pc gasket today, part # 41000 from Summit. Any one else using this gasket?
According to Moroso, Fel-pro one pc are far superior, and thats all the recommend. So now I fell like I just bought something that will not solve my oil leak. Torque specs: Milodon~ 15-25 ft lbs.
Moroso ~ 20-25 ft lbs.
What do you guys recommend?

Thanks,
Ken

71maligreen
Jun 19th, 09, 02:56 PM
Dang. I was gonna say to use the Fel-pro one piece and that I've had good luck with them until I read how many of you have had problems with them. I always used a little silicone in the corners and they sealed fine.

i did the same thing just a tad of silicone in the corners and no issues here with an aluminum pan!!

i know some 69 350`s have a different size rear main seal area this may be some issues with the others? this was pointed out to me by a local engine builder.

Wooderson
Jun 19th, 09, 02:56 PM
I have no experience with Fel Pro one piece gaskets, but have read numerous threads on different websites that all say the Fel Pro one piece is complete garbage. They also say the Mr Gasket one piece gaskets are a good one, which is somewhat surprising.

71maligreen
Jun 19th, 09, 02:58 PM
also i just snug the bolts up while silicone is wet then about 10-12 hrs later torque them down!!

KMG69
Jun 19th, 09, 05:00 PM
i did the same thing just a tad of silicone in the corners and no issues here with an aluminum pan!!

i know some 69 350`s have a different size rear main seal area this may be some issues with the others? this was pointed out to me by a local engine builder.

Never heard of them being different in the rear oil pan gasket area, that's where the leak is happening, not the rear main seal. Anything you have as far as them maybe being different on the '69 blocks would be helpful.

Thanks,
Ken

KMG69
Jun 19th, 09, 05:06 PM
I have no experience with Fel Pro one piece gaskets, but have read numerous threads on different websites that all say the Fel Pro one piece is complete garbage. They also say the Mr Gasket one piece gaskets are a good one, which is somewhat surprising.

I searched high and low for one pc Mr Gasket for an early block. Apparenetly they dont make them. I found a 4 pc Ultra Seal Kit for the later block, and that was about it. Correct me if there is one out there!
Mr Gasket Ultra Seal Part # BK7355722 from NAPA.

Thanks,
Ken

KMG69
Jun 19th, 09, 05:11 PM
also i just snug the bolts up while silicone is wet then about 10-12 hrs later torque them down!!

I was thinking the same thing, and also waiting to let the RTV set up before firing it up.
Ken

BigBlock1969RS
Jun 19th, 09, 07:49 PM
Fel-pro one piece here. Did use very small dab of silicone in the corners thou, no problems so far.

Steiner
Jun 19th, 09, 08:20 PM
I just finished getting mine back running again. I had to do a header paint bake on process....10 minutes on, 20 off, 20 minutes on, 20 off, 30 minutes on, leave to cool down.

There wasn't a drop of oil to be found anywhere around the Fel-Pro one piece I installed with a dab of RTV in the corners at the rear main and the corners at the front by the timing cover. However, the new cast timing cover is leaking out of the damper seal.:mad:

camsdad
Jun 19th, 09, 10:02 PM
Fel-pro one piece here. Did use very small dab of silicone in the corners thou, no problems so far.

Same here on my SB 383cid.
I did put a dab in the critical areas of the Edelbrock 2 piece timing cover.
No leaks so far.
That's why I went this route.

KMG69
Jun 20th, 09, 10:31 AM
Thanks everyone for all the input! Going to the shop in a bit to pull the engine. Doesn't look like fun doing it while the engine is elevated.

Ken
:beers:

JohnZ
Jun 20th, 09, 06:01 PM
The 350 BLOCK doesn't matter - the rear pan gasket seal area is the same on all of them; what matters is the PAN front seal area. All PRODUCTION small-block pans through 1974 used the "thin" (0.29") front seal, and all 1975-86 production pans used the "thick" (0.41") front seal. All SERVICE pans manufactured after 1975, regardless of their intended application, also used the "thick" front seal, and they came with one in the box.

If you have an unidentified or aftermarket pan, you need to measure it to determine which front seal it takes. Flip it upside-down on a flat surface with no gasket on it (or put a straightedge across it) and measure from there to the 12 o'clock position on the pan seal surface. If it measures 2-1/4", it takes the "thin" front seal; if it measures 2-3/8", it takes the "thick" front seal. :thumbsup:

vince-829
Jun 20th, 09, 07:03 PM
I went with the one piece blue fel pro gasket for my 88 pan. I did not use any silicon or anything and three months later it is still dry.