What is Cowl Induction? [Archive] - Team Camaro Tech

: What is Cowl Induction?

Alfonso Perez
Aug 1st, 01, 08:06 AM
I was reading that I can add HP by adding Cowl Induction to my car. But how does Cowl Induction work, and what do I need to do?

pdq67
Aug 1st, 01, 02:57 PM
Cowl induction is when the back of the hood next to the windshield is open so that the engine can get access to the cool high pressure air that builds up there while driving.

Stock cowl induction hoods were options on first gen cars. They are the ones w/ the "low wide" hood scoop facing rearward down the middle of them. Real ones had matching air breathers that fit up tight under them to take advantage of the cool air. And, yes your car will make slightly more power w/ the cooler air the engine can suck in using a cowl hood thats open. Hope this helps. pdq67

Cam35068
Aug 2nd, 01, 08:47 PM
A cheaper option would be to fabricate a cold air induction sytem. There was an article in Super Chevy magazine a while ago about this. Get an old air cleaner base and lid, two aluminum gutter downspouts, some flexible ducting, some thin sheet metal, and some rivets. Attach the two downspouts to the inside edge of the front of the air cleaner base with the rivets and then wrap the sheet metal around the remaining area of the cleaner base and attach with rivets. When you put the cleaner lid on, the edges of the sheet metal and downspouts should be inside the lid. Then run the flexible ducting down from the downspouts to your front bumper area where there are holes allowing fresh air in. This should force the air cleaner to take in only fresh, cold air from the outside.

Garrett M.
68 Camaro

mo67cam
Aug 3rd, 01, 06:44 AM
Another type

" http://www.camaro-untoldsecrets.com/images/gif/crossr4.gif "

------------------
Sean James
67 camaro convertible
69 Firebird - ls1 t-56 behind pontiac 350 motor
12 bolt 4:10

CarlC
Aug 3rd, 01, 12:39 PM
There's a homemade version on my website.

------------------
The Red Beast http://www.geocities.com/casanoc

Andrew69
Nov 24th, 10, 05:44 PM
Wow! This was resurrected from 9+ years ago.

1969ProStreetCamaro
Nov 24th, 10, 05:51 PM
Hopefully Alfonso has seen the replies in the 9+ years since the last replies!!!

David F.
www.firstgens.com (http://www.firstgens.com)

Andrew69
Nov 24th, 10, 05:55 PM
Alfonso's last post was August 1, 2001. Maybe he will pop up again.

Jeremiah
Nov 24th, 10, 07:07 PM
If your looking for more HP there are countless ways to get more power for your money.

To add cowl induction to a first gen correctly your going to spend $600 or more and maybe pick up a whopping 2Hp.

novaderrik
Nov 25th, 10, 05:03 AM
If your looking for more HP there are countless ways to get more power for your money.

To add cowl induction to a first gen correctly your going to spend $600 or more and maybe pick up a whopping 2Hp.

yeah, but $600 saved up in the 9 years since this thread was started comes down to $66.66 a year, or $5.55 a month, which certainly seems doable...

77thor
Nov 25th, 10, 06:34 AM
Lol

TJS69
Nov 25th, 10, 07:03 AM
I think it's the "cool" factor that is raised about 100 shp, (smiles per Horsepower) because those hoods look so darn cool !

Jeremiah
Nov 25th, 10, 08:28 AM
They do look great.

I thought of adding it to my SS but everyone has the ZL2 hood and I like to be different.

CPT Chevy
Nov 27th, 10, 06:49 AM
How about a cowl hood AND...... The amazing Tornado!!! Or you could just use the tornado and no one will know your packing that 2 extra HP. Ultimate sleeper! Seriously, the cowl hoods look so cool, do you really need an excuse? I think we'd run them if they stole 5 hp.

.gearhead.
Nov 27th, 10, 11:05 AM
I'll sell you this cold air kit cheap. It is a USM Inductions kit and it was the bees knees back in the day. The photo is from 4-5 years ago. It's still in good condition. Paid $350 new. It's yours for $75 plus shipping.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m319/jimzu1/Parts/RamAir1-1.jpg

john68
Nov 27th, 10, 01:16 PM
Nice but I would rather have the old 442 system.

BlackoutSteve
Nov 27th, 10, 02:40 PM
A cowl induction takes advantage of a high pressure area caused by the change in wind direction caused by the windshield.

The tiny amount any additional pressure has next to zero effect on power..

Cowl induction is purely about the induction of cold air, and the cowl's slightly higher than ambient air pressure is simply the best place to induct it. :)

Open your kick panels vents.. That's how much pressure there is at the cowl. Hardly enough to consider it as "boost".

Fred Ficarra
Nov 28th, 10, 11:47 AM
The tiny amount any additional pressure has next to zero effect on power..

Cowl induction is purely about the induction of cold air, and the cowl's slightly higher than ambient air pressure is simply the best place to induct it. :)

Open your kick panels vents.. That's how much pressure there is at the cowl. Hardly enough to consider it as "boost".
OK Steve, guess they don't have an info source like Hotrod Magazine down in Australia.:noway:
Over 35 years ago they tested a real factory setup and said "It's worth 45HP". (drag racing)
Many years later they said 'The cowl induction 69 Camaro hood is the best looking ever made'.

Go to a drag strip. What do you see? Cowl induction copies on what seems like half the race cars.

Open a performance magazine. About half the cars have a CI hood. Perfect design.

Nine year old thread?? Do we need new threads to smile?:)

http://epitomesrebuild.com/images/247.JPG

Jeremiah
Nov 28th, 10, 12:29 PM
45Hp.. l:)

Most of those cars at the race track have cowl hoods simply for cosmetic reasons with few being functional. When the hood is left open at the rear the hood acts as an extractor that can also have its own benifits at higher speeds.

So the cowl hood can serve two entirely different purposes depending on how its set up. I would say also depending on the earodynamics and rake of the windshield "make/model" its not always the best source to tap into for an intake but its always a good source to use to extract.

camaroman7d
Nov 28th, 10, 12:44 PM
Very few if any are "functional" at the track. When I say functional I am refering to how the factory designed it. That doesn't mean that that's the only purpose,these days most cowl type hoods are used for extra clearance and looks.

Steptoe
Nov 28th, 10, 12:53 PM
OK Steve, guess they don't have an info source like Hotrod Magazine down in Australia.
We do in NZ, but the colonies like Aussie, maybe not lol

Well even the slightest pressure, even if only measured in HG water...(not mercury) over comes any need for the carb to 'drag' air in, AND over come pressure drop (HG water column) thru the air filter....
THEN add the diffrence between cold air and engine bay air thats cooled the radiator...

On there own each makes a difference....combined a significant diference.... enough difference for more modern car manufactors spend huge money on R&D, and impliment very similar systems in a market that is very competive.

Fred Ficarra
Nov 28th, 10, 01:04 PM
We do in NZ, but the colonies like Aussie, maybe not lol

Well even the slightest pressure, even if only measured in HG water...(not mercury) over comes any need for the carb to 'drag' air in, AND over come pressure drop (HG water column) thru the air filter....
THEN add the diffrence between cold air and engine bay air thats cooled the radiator...

On there own each makes a difference....combined a significant diference.... enough difference for more modern car manufactors spend huge money on R&D, and impliment very similar systems in a market that is very competive.
:thumbsup:
Have you ever seen a late model performance car without engine air directed to it from outside the engine bay? That's why turbo's are inter-cooled. Well, that and overcoming compression heat.

67RS/SS406
Nov 28th, 10, 02:01 PM
OK Steve, guess they don't have an info source like Hotrod Magazine down in Australia.:noway:
Over 35 years ago they tested a real factory setup and said "It's worth 45HP". (drag racing)
Many years later they said 'The cowl induction 69 Camaro hood is the best looking ever made'.

Go to a drag strip. What do you see? Cowl induction copies on what seems like half the race cars.

Open a performance magazine. About half the cars have a CI hood. Perfect design.

http://epitomesrebuild.com/images/247.JPG
Fred, I never get tired of looking at your car, it's absolutely beautiful:yes:

Fred Ficarra
Nov 28th, 10, 02:12 PM
Thank you Aaron!!! You're very kind.

Love that shot, but,,,,,,,,,, ya know, another one is kinda moving close to the top.;)

BlackoutSteve
Nov 28th, 10, 03:26 PM

Agreeing or disagreeing with me Fred?
I'm not talking about how good looking the design is, who chooses to use it, or disagreeing/ignoring with the advantages of cold air..

Also, I don't need or read local car mags along with my 15+ year HotRod subscription and as an ex-moderator of their forum. :)
Don't you remember me from there those years ago? I remember you.

SY1
Nov 28th, 10, 04:06 PM
Donahue thought enough of it to make the 69 Blue Maxi Camaro hood full time operational and claims they saw small hp gains from doing this. Not sure what they did to make it full time functional, but I assume they removed the door from inside the rear of the ducted hood. That's the way 99% of them are run today because as already pointed out most guys run them simply for cosmetic or hood clearance purposes and aren't into correctness. Actually of those 99% most of them don't have the cowl air cleaner sealed to the hood and if they do it probably still has an opening into the engine compartment, so they probably see no difference using this hood.

I don't think it has anything to do with increased pressure. I think it has everything to do with reduced ambient air temperatures ducted directly into the carb and not allowing any underhood higher temps to affect the air temperature. If that's the case the plenum air cleaner did a much better job of this as it has no snout on it to allow any underhood air into the carb.

I am a fan of the ZL2 hood, but I think the functional Chevelle cowl induction hood is nicer with the vacuum actuated outer door and the electric actuated inner door. I always loved watching the outer door open when you got into the pedal.

BlackoutSteve
Nov 28th, 10, 04:13 PM
I am a fan of the ZL2 hood, but I think the functional Chevelle cowl induction hood is nicer with the vacuum actuated outer door and the electric actuated inner door. I always loved watching the outer door open when you got into the pedal.

Huge fan too, and also thought it would be nicer with a vac opening mechanism..
Perhaps with the late arrival of RPO ZL2 in Dec68-Jan69, the vacuum actuated door may have been too complex for it's rushed(?) development or required modification of existing components already being fitted to these cars.
The components made to operate and retrofit a ZL2 are very simple. A different accelerator arm with a switch, firewall mounted relay, a hole & grommet for the loom, and simply plug it in to the fusebox.

Fred Ficarra
Nov 28th, 10, 05:05 PM
Agreeing or disagreeing with me Fred?
I'm not talking about how good looking the design is, who chooses to use it, or disagreeing/ignoring with the advantages of cold air..

Also, I don't need or read local car mags along with my 15+ year HotRod subscription and as an ex-moderator of their forum. :)
Don't you remember me from there those years ago? I remember you.
Easy Steve. I hang on your every word.:yes: Sometimes I get on a roll and forget what the subject was of a post.
Hey! Wanna see who's been reading Hotrod longer?:D

Fred Ficarra
Nov 28th, 10, 05:11 PM
Air pressure; At highway speed, open your Astro vents and note the air volume and force. While drag racing keep them closed. The wall of air against the windshield will thank you for it.
As for that snorkel, there are ways to help it.:yes:
http://epitomesrebuild.com/images/138.1.JPG

Steptoe
Nov 28th, 10, 09:58 PM
Fred, I never get tired of looking at your car, it's absolutely beautiful
I have to agree...sort of....back side engine bay yep
BUT I have never liked the hidaway head light grill. lol

Im sure it was an old US hot rod mag from the 70s I have here (have boxes and boxes of them) there was an articule about using a box full of ice to cool air...and sort of recollect comments about the extra weight over the benefts...can rem which way that went.

Have you ever seen a late model performance car without engine air directed to it from outside the engine bay? That's why turbo's are inter-cooled. Well, that and overcoming compression heat
performance? hell they damn near all, including little shopping baskets do it now.

BlackoutSteve
Nov 28th, 10, 11:40 PM
Easy Steve. I hang on your every word.:yes: Sometimes I get on a roll and forget what the subject was of a post.
Hey! Wanna see who's been reading Hotrod longer?:D
All good Fred..:) I just thought you were against what I had said but couldn't see where..
Actually, I'm kinda happy that my HRM subscription is less than yours.. It must mean that I'm younger! :p :D
Good to see Epitome is on the water too. Smooth sailing.:thumbsup:

Fred Ficarra
Nov 29th, 10, 09:50 AM
All good Fred..:) I just thought you were against what I had said but couldn't see where..
Actually, I'm kinda happy that my HRM subscription is less than yours.. It must mean that I'm younger! :p :D
Good to see Epitome is on the water too. Smooth sailing.:thumbsup:
Thanks Steve, and good to hear from you!:)
In the Hotrod reading contest, when I was a kid in high school, we would walk down to the grocery store to read the magazines without buying them. It was the mid '60's. Because several of us were in auto shop at the time and we loved cars, the newsstand was our Internet.:o My favorite pastime was opening the mag to the back and reading "Pit stop". It was fun to read the question and try to answer correctly. I got really good at it, often acing the whole column. Hmmm, to this day, that's how I read it. :confused: I remember buying a pocket book there that had all of the new 69 Camaro options along with their dealer cost. :yes: The Stratoback bucket seats were a 120.00 option. Huh? They're standard stuff! Sure wish they'd hurry up and invent the internet.;) I'm rambling. Gotta drink coffee and take out the last of the carpet for the new roll bar.:p
Isn't retirement suppose to be easy?