454 Build [Archive] - Team Camaro Tech

: 454 Build

tonyvol
Nov 1st, 09, 04:56 PM
Hey everyone, I've been a member of this site for several years now and with that being said I've gain alot of knowledge from the Team Camaro members. I'm in the beginning stages of a 454 build and would like to get some direction on the build.

I have a 454 2 bolt that has all the machine work done. It is bored 30 over. I'm putting this in a 67 camaro with an SS hood. As a result I'm limited to the intake I can use. I would like to use :

Tremec 5 spreed TKO 600 with a 12 bolt rear with 373 gears.
163 GM Aluminum Intake or Edelbrock Performer(not RPM)
Edelbrock 110cc Performer RPM 454-0 heads,
Comp cam, but not sure which one. Maybe XR-288-HR.
10:1 CR ?
Hypertech Dome pistons,
headers,
Quick Fuel carb.
Rotating Assembly ?

Am I heading in the right direction?

Thanks,
Tony

tonyvol
Nov 5th, 09, 07:46 PM
is there anyone out there that has built a 454 for a 67-69 camaro with a SS hood? What combinations are you running? Like CR., dome pistons, intake, etc.

Thanks,
Tony

sinc93
Nov 6th, 09, 06:41 AM
I have a raised hood so can't help you there. Since you haven't bought a rotating assembly yet, why don't you research a 496 stroker kit? Seems to be pretty popular with a 454 block. Then you'd probably get matching components in the kit and you might even save some money. Regarding carbs, I really like my QuickFuel Q-850 so that's a good choice. Good luck.

sinc93
Nov 6th, 09, 07:33 AM
Here's a link that shows a 496 build that they say barely costs more than a 454.

http://www.superchevy.com/technical/engines_drivetrain/completebuilds_testing/sucp_0901_496_chevy_big_block_build/index.html

fiveforty
Nov 6th, 09, 07:37 AM
Right now I have a performer on there with a 750 Holley and after market drop base air cleaner. Over the years I have used the older Edelbrock canted Torkers or TM1s with a holley double pumper, 1/2" nitrous plate and a factory GM open element Z28 drop base air cleaner. Goodluck.

tonyvol
Nov 7th, 09, 11:18 AM
Which heads would you use for my 454 build? Edelbrock Performer RPM 454-O 110cc or the new RPM XTREME 114cc.

Thanks,
Tony

Fred Ficarra
Nov 7th, 09, 01:15 PM
Getting back to rotating assemblies. My son and I just built a 496. Understand that the 454 uses a 427 block. His was a two bolt. He bought a 4 bolt conversion and had it machined. The end-mains are still two bolt. With the really long stroker crank he learned that he could use stock length 427 rods for better performance and longevity. (Don't ask me for the details) Anyway, readily available pistons with very high pin bosses do the trick. And you ought to hear this thing run! Hey, have fun.

ace's68
Nov 7th, 09, 04:59 PM
Which heads would you use for my 454 build? Edelbrock Performer RPM 454-O 110cc or the new RPM XTREME 114cc.

Thanks,
Tony
BRODIX.
Edelbrock makes good quality heads, but are not ideal for big gains, I still think their designs are a bit old school.