Need pics of 1968 Z28 Stripes [Archive] - Team Camaro Tech

: Need pics of 1968 Z28 Stripes

1968RallySport
Dec 5th, 09, 12:45 PM
I'm looking for pictures of the rear stripes on a 1968 Z28 with a vinyl top. I have the stripe stencil kit & it's contradicting. A copy of the rear stripe location out of the assembly maunal shows it's supposed to be positioned 5/8" down from the vinyl top trim. The locating notches on the stencil kit position the stencil almost 1" down from the trim. Which is correct?

Jay68Z28
Dec 5th, 09, 07:23 PM
I'm looking for pictures of the rear stripes on a 1968 Z28 with a vinyl top. I have the stripe stencil kit & it's contradicting. A copy of the rear stripe location out of the assembly maunal shows it's supposed to be positioned 5/8" down from the vinyl top trim. The locating notches on the stencil kit position the stencil almost 1" down from the trim. Which is correct?
Take a look at the Definitive Camaro book 1967/1968 Camaro Z/28's by Jerry Macneish. There is a section on striping, with and without the vinyl top. Good Luck!

1968RallySport
Dec 6th, 09, 11:16 AM
Take a look at the Definitive Camaro book 1967/1968 Camaro Z/28's by Jerry Macneish. There is a section on striping, with and without the vinyl top. Good Luck!

Thanks. I have that book and I don't find anything about the stripe location with a vinyl top................:confused:

Sauron67MM
Dec 6th, 09, 01:07 PM
Did you search over CRG? There are pics there but I cannot remember if it addressed a 68 or 69 w/ v. top stripe layout.

Garfields Maro
Dec 7th, 09, 01:18 AM
Maybe the molding isn't in the right position ?:o....it's only "almost" 3/8" discrepancy. Hopefully someone will have a close up pic of an original, although I'd bet there was slight differences even from the factory.

Seems I've heard of misprints in the AIM before, so you're wise in asking but if I had to choose between a repro stencil or the AIM...... .62

jmho

Sauron67MM
Dec 7th, 09, 03:17 AM
"The forward edge of the stripes would end 5/8" from the vinyl top molding; without a vinyl top, the stripes end 5/8" from the back window lower molding."

CRG

1968RallySport
Dec 7th, 09, 05:24 PM
"The forward edge of the stripes would end 5/8" from the vinyl top molding; without a vinyl top, the stripes end 5/8" from the back window lower molding."

CRG

Thanks Scott and everybody else for the comments. I believe I'll go with the 5/8" from the molding and not with the "locating notches" that the stencils came with. :yes: