68 Positive Battery Cable Route [Archive] - Team Camaro Tech

: 68 Positive Battery Cable Route

Lane 68
Dec 26th, 09, 12:58 PM
There are two positive battery cable clips holding the cable to the cross members.

My question is, the 2nd clip on the lower cross member, does it go on the left or right side of the access hole in the cross member? (The access hole I speak of is about 2" in diameter. There is one on the passenger side and one on the drivers side.)

I have a small hole on the left AND right side of this 2" hole. I BELIEVE it goes on the RIGHT side of this hole BUT I have a picture of a 69' that shows this clip on the LEFT of the 2" hole. I have a 68' 350.
The AIM guide does not spell this out.

Thanks,
Lane

BlackoutSteve
Dec 26th, 09, 02:17 PM
Are you looking at UPC12-A4?

Do you no longer have the hole/s for the clip/s drilled into the subframe? They are drilled into all subframes regardless of application. ie: 6 or 8 cyl, so I would assume that someone has filled them in if they are no longer there. Maybe get a screwdriver and press it against the frame incase it's just body filler blocking them up.

This is a pic of a 1968 subframe from a V8 Camaro that I was doing a repair on. It features the correct 1968 bump stops to confirm it's year. (However, it doesn't matter because all 67-69s have the cable clips in the same location.)

You can still see the factory clip on the front side of the main crossmember, and the hole for the other clip on the top side of the front/smaller crossmember.
The clip you are referring to is almost exactly vertically inline with the upper engine frame mount bolt holes. In other words, to answer your question, the clip is on the vehicle's right side of the control arm access hole. The left would drop the cable way too far under the pan rail.
Pretty sure the hole diameters are 1/4".
http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/8370/jasonssubframe001.jpg

Lane 68
Dec 26th, 09, 07:09 PM
Steve,
THANKS for your information. Looking at your pic, the cross member access hole has the same two 1/4" holes on each side of it that I refer to, on the passenger side, one on each side of the hole. I was not sure WHICH 1/4" hole to place the clip. I will use the hole on the "vehicles" right side of the access hole. A picture tells a thousand words!!
THANKS A LOT for your help, the AIM is a poor example.
Lane

BlackoutSteve
Dec 26th, 09, 08:22 PM
You're right.. I forgot about the other hole.. Has it been tapped for a 5/16unc? Can't remember.. The clip holes are not tapped.

Here's a better shot of a dead subframe that I used as a donor to repair others. It shows all three holes clearly. It's the top one of the two on the main crossmember that you're interested in. ;)
http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/3250/subframemrcam013.jpg

Lane 68
Dec 27th, 09, 06:20 PM
Steve,
Thanks again for your help and pics. I appreciate your effort.
If you have any more engine bay pics showing a stock 350 w/ AC send them.... IF you have time.
I have a 68 RS/SS 350, A/C,PS,PB,AM radio,Houndstooth interior, Black vinyl top,tripoli turquoise paint. In restoration mode.
Thanks again
Lane

rogerh
Dec 27th, 09, 06:49 PM
I don't know if the 67s are like the 68s but this is a picture of my clip.

Roger
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z177/roger62305/PositizeCableClips.jpg

BlackoutSteve
Dec 27th, 09, 07:43 PM
I don't know if the 67s are like the 68s but this is a picture of my clip.

Roger

Yes, the 1st 3 years are all the same and I dare say Firebirds, Novas, Omegas, Venturas, and Apollos that shared these subframes are too.:thumbsup:

Lane 68
Dec 29th, 09, 09:23 PM
Roger,
Thank You for your great picture. I appreciate your help.
I am in the garage this weekend !!

Lane

69Rook
Jun 28th, 10, 06:18 PM
Old post but need info on putting new clips on.......

How do I get new clips on ..there must be a trick...any help??

rogerh
Jun 28th, 10, 08:32 PM
Old post but need info on putting new clips on.......

How do I get new clips on ..there must be a trick...any help??

Check out this thread.

Roger

http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=171646&highlight=cable+clips

69Rook
Jun 29th, 10, 01:45 AM
Thanks roger..not sure if i completely understand but i will go with the rivet gun ..trial and error..too bad these clips are about 14 bucks each

BlackoutSteve
Jul 1st, 10, 02:36 AM
I used a dynabolt to flare mine. Worked a treat.

69Rook
Jul 2nd, 10, 09:43 AM
Steve,forgive my ignorance but what is a dynabolt?

BlackoutSteve
Jul 2nd, 10, 01:48 PM
A concrete anchor bolt.. :thumbsup:

Take the sleeve off and use a spacer or perhaps over-sized nuts to shim the distance between the clip and nut. The flare on the Dynabolt's shank will expand the clip's rivet into the subframe.
I think I used a M4 or maybe M6 sized Dynabolt

http://mobbs.open24x7.biz/catalog/images/prodimg/img506.jpg

69Rook
Jul 5th, 10, 10:01 PM
got it, i'll give it a try and let ya know how it goes. thanks

rb69
Jul 11th, 10, 07:50 PM
does any body know what the length of the positive cable should be for a 69 w/ a 350??
The cable I am replacing is 46", but didn't use the 2 clips in it's routing.