Does anybody still make the General Kinetics grind cams? [Archive] - Team Camaro Tech

: Does anybody still make the General Kinetics grind cams?

OK69
Jan 25th, 10, 10:15 PM
The 288 SBC hydraulic specifically. I would like to try that one again.

67 Plum
Jan 27th, 10, 09:26 AM
From what I read on the Net Lunati bought them out.Try contacting Lunati tech dept.

PowerWindows
Jan 27th, 10, 10:07 AM
Wow! General Kinetics. Haven't heard that name brand in quite awhile. I had one of their cams in a 427 Rat motor I had (in yet another 67 Camaro) back in the 80's. It made enough grunt to scare one of my friends when I took them for a ride and laid down the hammer.

Good luck! Post up what you find out as I'm curious too. I hope you find what you're looking for.

Toby Keen
Jan 27th, 10, 10:31 AM
The owner of General Kinetics now works for Roush Racing in Livonia, MI. I was once the National Sales Manager for GK and as I recall, although it was a loooong time ago, the 288 hydraulic was what we refered to at the time as a Redline Cam, meaning it was bought from Wolverine Cams and resold as a GK cam. I'm pretty sure they still make the cam and sell it to others who call it everything fom Street Cams to Blue Racers and so on.
As for General Kinetics, they have been out of business for quite some time. Harold of Untradyne Cams fame also worked at GK.

Steptoe
Jan 27th, 10, 12:29 PM
Wow! General Kinetics. Haven't heard that name brand in quite awhile.

Same here and Im in NZ...also had one of their cams in the mid 80s...one of thew 1st cams I experimented with on LPG...waste of time and wore a couple lobes off
For some reason I thought it was ground by a company in Christchurh NZ ????

The 288 SBC hydraulic specifically. I would like to try that one again.
If you still have spec sheets or the old cam you could get it copied by a local custom cam grinder company.

RichSchmidt
Jan 27th, 10, 03:11 PM
I was about to say that the GK 288 became the Wolverine cam.We had one in a 406 that came in one of the cars my friend ran.It an well.We use to run almost all Isky stuff but that cam ran at least as well.Right now I have a Crane 332 bigblock flat tappet cam from the mid 70's that I was thinking of stabbing in my 427.It is supposed to be the same as the GK332 am that Grumpy used in his 68 and 70 Camaro pro stockers.I am having the heads angle milled over this winter to get the compression up over 13:1 and really want to hear that cam run.I now have an old GM #282 cam in there which was another cam that was sometimes run in early pro stockers.Real long off the seat duation wih these grinds,but they actually work.

Toby Keen
Jan 28th, 10, 01:00 PM
Yep, GK made a 332 for both the big block and the small block. They were originally designed for the modified production crowd but the small block cam was way weak on the exhaust side and ran poorly in my C/MP 331 motor. The later 323A cam for small bock prostocks was a world beater, however.

92Camaro
Jan 29th, 10, 09:22 AM
The owner of General Kinetics now works for Roush Racing in Livonia, MI. I was once the National Sales Manager for GK and as I recall, although it was a loooong time ago, the 288 hydraulic was what we refered to at the time as a Redline Cam, meaning it was bought from Wolverine Cams and resold as a GK cam. I'm pretty sure they still make the cam and sell it to others who call it everything fom Street Cams to Blue Racers and so on.
As for General Kinetics, they have been out of business for quite some time. Harold of Untradyne Cams fame also worked at GK.

Toby,

What is the original GK cams owners name ?????? Who did the SB Chevy solid lifter cams for GK ?? I would like to get my hands on a Red Line Z 295/305 cam. :thumbsup:

Ron 92Camaro :beers:

sbcBill
Jan 29th, 10, 05:48 PM
I do not mean to steal the thread, but does anyone recall the old Crane Fireball series cam from the early to late 1970's. One of my friends ran this cam in a totally stock 327/300 horse engine, with simply a cam change the car turned into an animal. Does anyone know the specs as well. Many of the old cam designs still work extremely well today, look at the #151 GM cam as an example.
Bill