Summit/Brodix Head Opinions [Archive] - Team Camaro Tech

: Summit/Brodix Head Opinions

69GMCor70CHEVY
Feb 8th, 10, 01:13 PM
Anybody have any comments on these heads? They are supposedly rebranding Brodix Heads:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-162108/

I am in the same situation as Brewcity whereas I am looking to liven up my existing 327/210hp. Not looking for anything crazy and I feel these may be a great start to my engine's transformation.

This car will never see the strip.

Comments or opinions?

Eric68
Feb 8th, 10, 02:00 PM
I think the Summit heads used to be made by Trick Flow, but looks like Brodix. There are a few posts saying they are identical to the Brodix IK series heads.

67 Plum
Feb 8th, 10, 02:05 PM
Those sound like a copy of the L98 Corvette heads.Center bolt valve covers 87 up intake bolt angles.

69GMCor70CHEVY
Feb 8th, 10, 02:24 PM
Whoops wrong number but right head. What about these heads in general?

PRO 48 Fleetline
Feb 8th, 10, 04:30 PM
Decent head if id buy them id get them bare the reason there so cheap is the parts summit puts in them!

DT
Feb 8th, 10, 05:28 PM
I wouldn't worry about the parts Summit puts in them. They stand behind their product 100%. Summit has an excellent reputation. Buy the way, that head is excellent.

69GMCor70CHEVY
Feb 8th, 10, 07:18 PM
This is the correct head:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-162109/

DT, I don't doubt that at all but I doubt I could tell much within the 90 day warranty. Especially when you factor in 30 days from the time I buy it until it is on the road.

PRO 48 Fleetline
Feb 8th, 10, 09:43 PM
This a good head not an awesome head and as for summit standing having a great reputation they do. so do other business that are actually in the head business and i wouldnt trust some of them let alone summits parts there not in the head making business there in the retail business.
For the money without a doubt id buy witch i am profilers heads installed with springs of your choice for 900.00 check um out.

trmnatr
Feb 8th, 10, 09:59 PM
I wouldn't worry about the parts Summit puts in them. They stand behind their product 100%. Summit has an excellent reputation. Buy the way, that head is excellent.

If a valve breaks and damages the pistons and cracks the blocks, Im sure they will stand behind it and replace the valves

Not the block and pistons and all !!!

Spames
Feb 9th, 10, 04:36 AM
For $1000, I think I'd just get the Brodix IK180's for an extra $60

DT
Feb 9th, 10, 04:41 PM
If a valve breaks and damages the pistons and cracks the blocks, Im sure they will stand behind it and replace the valves

Not the block and pistons and all !!!

Ridiculous statement. Name ANY head company that would cover the block in that situation? Manley makes the valves for Summit by the way.

PRO 48 Fleetline
Feb 9th, 10, 06:27 PM
Dont ask for opions if you dont want a few!
Just saying that for a few bucks more you can get a real quailty head and the heads should make up one third of the expense of your engine price.
Happy head hunting!

Steiner
Feb 9th, 10, 06:41 PM
For $1000, I think I'd just get the Brodix IK180's for an extra $60

X2. Plus the base IK180's are set up for 0.525" max lift whereas the Summits are 0.480" max so your cam choice may have some impact.

I'd be concerned about this though:
"Because these parts are designed for race use only, no warranties of any nature (expressed, implied, or fitness of usage) are given on these products. Brodix undertakes no responsibility for any product sold; due to the intended usage of these products, they are sold "as-is.""

I looked at the IK200's but finally went with AFR-195's, and they have a lifetime warranty. Can't imagine needing it on a street car though but like Tommy Boy said I figure I can put it under my pillow and the guarantee fairy will come visit me.