Wiring up a 1 wire alternator to a 69 camaro [Archive] - Team Camaro Tech

: Wiring up a 1 wire alternator to a 69 camaro

camaro434
Feb 9th, 10, 01:56 PM
I broke the old alternator in my '69 camaro, so I want to upgrade to a new 1 wire altanator. How do you rewire a internal regulator alternator from the one I have, which is a external regulator (4 wires) & an alternator with 3 wires (blue, green & red). If someone could provide a wiring diagram that would be a great help.

Vegas69
Feb 9th, 10, 02:07 PM
It's just a 8-10 gauge wire from your starter or battery post with a fusible link or circuit breaker.

click
Feb 9th, 10, 02:34 PM
visit www.madelectrical.com they have charts showing all the info. on 1wire vs 3wire.

camaro434
Feb 9th, 10, 05:46 PM
visit www.madelectrical.com they have charts showing all the info. on 1wire vs 3wire.

OK I'm not sure what I am doing. The alternator I currently have is 3 wire with an external voltage regulator. The new alternator I am installing is a 3 wire with the voltage regulator built in the alternator. How do I wire this? Also the 4 wires that went to the external voltage regulator, what do I do with those?

SOA-Nova
Feb 9th, 10, 06:18 PM
While I do not know what color wire goes where, when I installed an upgraded alternator for a customer, the kit came with a jumper plug for the 4 wire connector off of the old voltage regulator. After unplugging the factory connector off of the external regulator, this plug went onto this end to send the correct signals to the plug on the original alternator. Since the factory external alternator 2 wire plug does not fit the internally regulated new alternator, this company also had a plug in adaptor for this end also. Since the new alternator on this install was a higher amperage than stock (and what the factory wire could handle) the old output wire from the old alternator was abandoned and a new 4 gauge wire was run from the new alternator output post to the positive battery post.
I would think there are some online instructions and a person could get the proper male terminals and a new internally regulated alternator plug to make their own jumpers and adaptors so no existing wires get cut.

Sorry I couldn't be more help but maybe this little bit of input can.

If you are not sure, I would take it to a business that does vehicle electrical work and repair.

Jim

camaro434
Feb 9th, 10, 06:29 PM
My other post is what I am trying to do, this one is not.
http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=173839

67 455 Bird ragtop
Feb 9th, 10, 06:33 PM
I broke the old alternator in my '69 camaro, so I want to upgrade to a new 1 wire alternator. How do you rewire a internal regulator alternator from the one I have, which is a external regulator (4 wires) & an alternator with 3 wires (blue, green & red). If someone could provide a wiring diagram that would be a great help.

Go here and order their alternator conversion kit. They have one for an SI type alternator and one for a CS type. Just order the right one. Simple fix.

http://www.wiringharness.com/

HwyStarJoe
Feb 10th, 10, 04:47 AM
Some of the after market suppliers such as Ricks offer a small, inexpensive harness for quickly modifying the existing wiring harness for internal regulated systems. They're a few bucks... plug & play. I don't know if anyone has used one or how convenient they are, but I have one that I haven't installed yet.
Check it out.

MileHigh69
Feb 10th, 10, 05:20 AM
Call Mark at Mad Electrical. He has the best kit. I did the same conversion and went to a 3 wire alt. You will remove the external regulator, jumper wires at the regulator terminal. Connect the blue wire to the brown wire with red strip, connect the S wire to a remote sense. However he has a kit that gives all the wires and directions. I just bought his full power kit and will be installing it. Makes for nice bright lights, great ignition and is safe to drive.