Winters high rise manifold in my 396/350? [Archive] - Team Camaro Tech

: Winters high rise manifold in my 396/350?

okiemark
May 28th, 10, 08:24 AM
i have a '69 S.S. with 396/350 h.p. I believe it to be matching numbers with low miles (53,200). I've been considering adding a stock, correct Winters high rise manifold. Any thoughts on this? the main thing I want is for the stock look. Isn't the high rise manifold what seperated the 350 h.p. from the 375 h.p. on the 396 b.b.? About what cost would I be looking at?

NOTE: the carb on this car is currently giving me fits. the secondary carbs are not opening up when I punch on it. I think there is a link not hooked up properly (from the gas pedal). So, that would have to be addressed.

bcm66
May 28th, 10, 08:37 AM
There is a lot more of a difference between the 396/375 hp and the 396/350 hp engines. Differences include, carb, intake, heads, cam, pistons, and in some cases the crankshaft is different too.

The rectangle port aluminum intake will work on the oval port heads used for the 325 hp and 350 hp engines. I think you have to use the rectangle port intake gasket, but that is just from memory.

As for the secondaries on the carb not opening up, that might be due to a problem with vacuum.

okiemark
May 28th, 10, 08:44 AM
There is a lot more of a difference between the 396/375 hp and the 396/350 hp engines. Differences include, carb, intake, heads, cam, pistons, and in some cases the crankshaft is different too.

The rectangle port aluminum intake will work on the oval port heads used for the 325 hp and 350 hp engines. I think you have to use the rectangle port intake gasket, but that is just from memory.

As for the secondaries on the carb not opening up, that might be due to a problem with vacuum.

that's right, I forgot the 375 hp used a Holly (not double pump..) right? would I still be getting a nice bang for my buck, seeing how I'm not gonna be changing anything else on the motor like heads, cams..?

Fred Ficarra
May 28th, 10, 11:07 AM
that's right, I forgot the 375 hp used a Holly (not double pump..) right? would I still be getting a nice bang for my buck, seeing how I'm not gonna be changing anything else on the motor like heads, cams..?
Yeah Mark there were a few differences. I'll try to recall some;
375hp(L78) &350hp.
11.5:1 CR to 10.25:1
Rectangular ports to oval
Aluminum high rise to iron (right about that Mark)
Steel crank and rods, forged pistons, to: not sure
Solid cam to hydraulic
Dual valve springs with dampeners
2.19 in. 1.88 ex. valves to (a little smaller)
Holley to Quadrajet
Chrome engine trim to painted parts;)
High torque starter to grocery-getter
Seven blade aluminum clutch fan to something less
Interlocking motor mounts to the ones that caused the recall
Four core radiator to a smaller one
Oh wait. The radiator isn't part of the engine stuff. Sorry. It's like the massive transmissions and rear end needed to hold all the extra grunt. And the exclusion of creature comforts like Air Conditioning. After all, it's a man's engine.:D
And give me a minute, there's more.
Oh yeah, that damn high-nickel block.:cool:
Ou Ou! Four bolt mains.
thinking,,,,,,

okiemark
May 30th, 10, 08:21 AM
Fred, isn't the 396/350 also 4 bolt main? my question is, would I still be getting a good bang for the buck if I put on the Winters manifold with appropiate Holly Carb; without all the other stuff that seperates the 375 hp from the 350?
QUESTION 2: Actually, this should be question number 1... will a Winters alum. manifold fit on 396/350? I'm guessing it would.

Fred Ficarra
May 30th, 10, 09:50 AM
If you install the good stuff on the top, I'll bet you won't even feel the difference without a matching cam change. But who cares? Your engine will look a hell of a lot better!
Question #2. I'm sure it will.
And as far a main bearing caps, I'm going by 40 year old memories, and we all know how that works.

bcm66
Jun 5th, 10, 08:35 AM
The 325 hp and 350 hp versions of the 396 almost always had 2 bolt main caps. The 4 bolt 396 blocks were generally only for the 375 hp (L78) engines.

The aluminum intake will work. I think you need to use the rectangle port intake gasket (the one that matches the intake, not the heads).