Pushrods [Archive] - Team Camaro Tech

: Pushrods

1981Zapper
Aug 28th, 10, 04:24 PM
I'm looking for a set of pushrods for my 327, Ive been told i can't use my stock pushrods because Im going to be using Edelbrock Aluminum Performer RPM head and in order to use the stock stamped steel rockers I will need +.100" longer than stock , but I can't any on the summit site

BillK
Aug 28th, 10, 05:10 PM
Zap,
Dont know where you are located, but your machine shop should be able to get you a set in a day and be competitive with Summit. +100 pushrods are pretty standard fare and I am surprised that Summit does not have them. More likely you just aren't looking properly.

Smallbloc
Aug 28th, 10, 06:17 PM
Check competition products, more flavors than baskin robbins

Hogdaddy
Aug 28th, 10, 09:03 PM
You may have a problem with stock rocker arms with those heads might wanna double check that they will clear the valvesprings.

Bad67355
Aug 29th, 10, 05:35 AM
I would double check with a pushrod length checker to make sure thats what you need before you order anything,just because your switching cylinder heads does not neccesarily mean you need that length pushrod,i changed heads about a year to dart aluminum heads and i was able to use the stock length.

BlackoutSteve
Aug 29th, 10, 08:03 AM
I would double check with a pushrod length checker to make sure thats what you need before you order anything,just because your switching cylinder heads does not neccesarily mean you need that length pushrod,i changed heads about a year to dart aluminum heads and i was able to use the stock length.

Definitely. Never assume the length you need.

I bought "Trend" brand pushrods. One piece, 0.080" wall CroMo, 210 balls at the rocker arm end & 180 at the lifter end, great quality..

Nashville Beth
Aug 29th, 10, 08:23 AM
210 balls at the rocker arm end & 180 at the lifter end, great quality..

Steve, what does 210 and 180 degree balls on the pushrods mean ? Just curious, I learn something every day on this forum ! :beers:
(I can already hear the "balls" jokes coming)

BlackoutSteve
Aug 29th, 10, 04:56 PM
No ball jokes here! :D
One end of the push rod has a 180 ball-end like most pushrods have on each end.
The Trend pushrods have a 210 ball machined at the rocker end, so for use with a high lift cam, there is plenty of "clearance radius" for the rocker arm to move on and much less chance of the rocker's ball socket (more jokes :p) to hit a non-radiused part of the push rod.

http://www.trendperform.com/standard.html

Everett#2390
Aug 29th, 10, 06:01 PM
http://info.rockauto.com/SealedPower/RP3212R.html

In the picture, 'B' is a ball end, 'C' is a 180 or full radius end.

1981Zapper
Aug 29th, 10, 08:16 PM
It says right on the Edelbrock website when your looking at the Performer RPM Small-Block Chevy heads

"To use stock stamped steel rockers on small-block Chevy heads, +.100" longer than stock are required"

Hogdaddy
Aug 29th, 10, 08:50 PM
It says right on the Edelbrock website when your looking at the Performer RPM Small-Block Chevy heads

"To use stock stamped steel rockers on small-block Chevy heads, +.100" longer than stock are required"

It says in my Eddy RPM's instruction sheet that "long slot stamped or roller rocker arms will be required if your camshaft has more than .480" lift" also.

The cam I am using is over .500" lift and I went with roller rockers although there are many aftermarket long-slot stock type rockers available too that would work in this case.

1981Zapper
Aug 29th, 10, 09:29 PM
It says in my Eddy RPM's instruction sheet that "long slot stamped or roller rocker arms will be required if your camshaft has more than .480" lift" also.

The cam I am using is over .500" lift and I went with roller rockers although there are many aftermarket long-slot stock type rockers available too that would work in this case.

Will i be ok if i use my Stock stamped steel rockers with a .447 Lift L79 Cam? and +.100" longer than stock pushrods?

Hogdaddy
Aug 30th, 10, 08:33 AM
Will i be ok if i use my Stock stamped steel rockers with a .447 Lift L79 Cam? and +.100" longer than stock pushrods?

Sounds like you would be ok on rockers but never hurts to double check for interference anyways,

Imho I would use a pushrod checker or at very least order just one +.100 longer pushrod to check pattern.

IRON MAN
Aug 30th, 10, 06:09 PM
I'm looking for a set of pushrods for my 327, Ive been told i can't use my stock pushrods because Im going to be using Edelbrock Aluminum Performer RPM head and in order to use the stock stamped steel rockers I will need +.100" longer than stock , but I can't any on the summit site
Summit Racings lists the push rod as Edl-9629 sbc (7.900") for RPM heads. $44.88. Today, I spoke with a Edelbrock tech rep asking questions about the "Top End Kit" Edel-2098 that supports 410 hp/ 408 ft lbs tq. He said the push rod #9629 has a ball end for more clearance and you can use stock steel stamped rockers with them. He said you should be able to slide a paper clip between the rocker and push rod when the lifter is at max lift. Summit Racing had listed the EDL-60899 RPM head in the "Top End Kit" as having "rectangular" exhaust ports. I felt this was a typo and got verification from the Edelbrock rep the head indeed has a "D" exhaust port which should be compatible with most of todays headers. But you should call the manufacturer of the headers to confirm. Hope this helps.