Engine Quest heads- any good? [Archive] - Team Camaro Tech

: Engine Quest heads- any good?

Melrose RS
Oct 15th, 10, 10:48 AM
Looking for some 170cc/1.94/64cc heads for a street 327.
These appear to have vortec chambers and are ridiculously inexpensive (bare). I have the screw in studs, guideplates, good springs and valves already so I'd swap them over.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170546363032&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Anybody using these?

TJS69
Oct 15th, 10, 11:48 AM
Those are at a good price. Maybe you get what you pay for ? I compared flow numbers and even the double hump heads had about the same numbers. The vortec heads really outflow the double humps ! The RHS outflow the vortec's. I haven't checked the Dart s/s yet.

Melrose RS
Oct 15th, 10, 11:57 AM
Yeah, as you know I am looking at these and the RHS. Do you know the numbers for each at say .400" and .500"?

Notalent
Oct 15th, 10, 12:11 PM
They are pretty nice heads for the $. They make all the IMCA heads as well. Much better than I can say for some other brands out there.

ace's68
Oct 15th, 10, 01:13 PM
They look good, but so does any other good, clean bare head.
A part of me says no, just because of the "Vortex" in the Ad, either they don't know much about heads, or they got their secretary to do the ad....
Either way, you can't find a set of used bare double humps for $150 unless they are free.
I'd say get em, if they are horribly wrong like Patriots heads (vlaves in the wrong place) send them back, if not, use the money you save to get them worked, or go with a roller cam.

TJS69
Oct 15th, 10, 02:58 PM
http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii152/tjs69_photos/Heads/Flow1.jpg

Melrose RS
Oct 15th, 10, 03:20 PM
Yikes, those RHS heads STOMP the others across the board!!

Nashville Beth
Oct 15th, 10, 05:54 PM
http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii152/tjs69_photos/Heads/Flow1.jpg

Those figures are a little hard to believe.

The RHS head outflows a small port vortec by over 10%. Somehow I doubt this is an apples-to-apples comparison.
It took Chevrolet 40 years to get to the vortec design- the best gen 1 port ever.
I'll stick with the vortec port on any mild to medium hot smallblock. And the best deal going in an aluminum head ($900):
http://www.jegs.com/p/Edelbrock/Edelbrock-SB-Chevy-Performer-RPM-E-TEC-Aluminum-Cylinder-Heads/750168/10002/-1

TJS69
Oct 15th, 10, 09:26 PM
Yes, those numbers may or may not be that accurate. They are the numbers that the manufactures have listed.

As far as Chevrolet Vortecs, they were primarily designed to be used in 350 V-8 pick-ups at low RPM's. Why wouldn't the aftermarket easily outflow them ?

Melrose RS
Oct 15th, 10, 09:38 PM
Here's an excellent site for head flow info
http://www.purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/techinfo/heads1.html#180%20Eliminators

67 Plum
Oct 16th, 10, 11:35 AM
What I find interesting is that the 882s that everyone says are junk flow as good as the 462 hump heads.

brownnote
Oct 16th, 10, 01:42 PM
What I find interesting is that the 882s that everyone says are junk flow as good as the 462 hump heads.

right, but the thing is that on a stock motor, the 76cc 882's are dogs, and apparently are crack prone. That is not to say that people with the right combo aren't making power on them... plus they are almost free. Def. not for me and my stock 327... my lightly ported 186's work great compared to them, but the compression change is quite a bit of it I think.

All things considered, if I could get a set of heads complete like the profilers etc for 1000 bucks or so I wouldn't hesitate.... but, even if they aren't that cheap, the increase of a couple hundred to get the afrs (1500) or equivalent would have been money well spent in my opinion. They are just such a better head for the money, and easily justified in my opinion. Hell, my 186's cost me 150, already had ss valves in them, but cost me 500 for machining, new springs, new seals etc, a couple valves were burned, and I needed new pushrods for about 100 more... add it up, and that is kind of expensive for some old heads. I really like the increase from the 882's, but if I knew it was going to be that expensive I would have held out for at least some way better iron heads, but probably would have saved a little longer for the aluminum afr's, brodix or w/e.

From those flow #'s I would stay away from the eq heads. From time to time you can get a set of camel humps freshly machined around here for 400 bucks.... that is the cheapest way I would go, otherwise I think I would keep saving!

Nashville Beth
Oct 16th, 10, 03:27 PM
Yes, those numbers may or may not be that accurate. They are the numbers that the manufactures have listed.

As far as Chevrolet Vortecs, they were primarily designed to be used in 350 V-8 pick-ups at low RPM's. Why wouldn't the aftermarket easily outflow them ?

The vortec port was a direct copy of the 95 LT1 port (I think that's right).
It flowed so well that it was put on the gen 1 engine.
It's quite a bit taller, hence the matching intake is required.
That's why it outflows the older type port.
The LS ports are very tall and narrow. Seems that tall is good (I'm over 6')
:beers:

novaderrik
Oct 16th, 10, 10:01 PM
The vortec port was a direct copy of the 95 LT1 port (I think that's right).
It flowed so well that it was put on the gen 1 engine.
It's quite a bit taller, hence the matching intake is required.
That's why it outflows the older type port.
The LS ports are very tall and narrow. Seems that tall is good (I'm over 6')
:beers:

i used to think that the vortec port was a copy of the iron LT1 head. but last summer when i had the intake off the Caprice LT1 i've got on an engine stand in the garage i laid an old used stock vortec intake gasket on it. . i remember that the vortec ports lined up perfectly with the top and bottoms of the gasket, but the LT1 ports are about 1/4" shorter- the same height as a standard small block port. i'd like to get an LT4 intake gasket and see how that matches up with the vortec gasket..
i can say that the iron LT1 chamber looks almost identical to the vortec head, tho.
if i was a betting man, i'd say that the vortec ports are more like the LT4 ports than they are like the iron LT1 ports.. which brings up the question of which came first within GM Powertrain- the aluminum LT4 heads used on 96 Vettes and a few 97 Camaros or the iron vortec heads used on 96-99 trucks.. ..

barryfrise
Oct 20th, 10, 09:15 AM
These appear to have vortec chambers and are ridiculously inexpensive (bare). I have the screw in studs, guideplates, good springs and valves already so I'd swap them over.

http://rover.ebay.com/ar/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?mpt=502292518&adtype=1&size=1x1&type=3&campid=5336121784&toolid=10001 http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170546363032&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT (http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=3&campid=5336121784&toolid=10001&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.com%2Febaymotors%2Fws%2 FeBayISAPI.dll%3FViewItem%26item%3D170546363032%26 ssPageName%3DSTRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT)

Anybody using these?

I just noticed eBay auction 170554850847 this morning and jumped on it. I bought a pair, and with shipping it was $255. These are Vortec-style heads that allow you to keep your Gen 1 intake manifold (you have to go with center-bolt valve covers tho). To keep my costs down further I'm planning on using the valve train out of my current Chevy casting 3973487 heads in these EngineQuest heads. I found another post that indicated that that was possible, but I'd be interested in any confirmation or comments from anybody, thanks!

Melrose RS
Oct 20th, 10, 10:32 AM
Barry, what are you running now? I'll be interested to know how these new ones work out for you.

barryfrise
Oct 20th, 10, 11:17 AM
Barry, what are you running now? I'll be interested to know how these new ones work out for you.

I have a 350 (355?) that I bought from RHS back in 1986 that they called the High Energy 268. It runs fine on 87 octane so I don't think the CR is above 9:1. It has a Comp Cams HE268 cam, CC lifters and springs, and I went with their 1.52 roller-tip rocker option. They claimed to have done a bit of porting work on the "High Energy" heads too, but they're basically stock 76cc chambers I think. I have an Edelbrock Performer intake, Edelbrock 1406 600cfm carb, Summit coated headers, Magnaflow 2.5" x-pipe dual exhaust, TKO-500 and 3.42 rear. Pretty mild. In all these years I think I have about 6000 miles on it, and most of those were back in the 80's when it was my daily driver. In the last two years I've gone through a complete restoration so I'm starting to drive it more. The engine is about the only thing I haven't touched, so time to change that. Was debating weight saving aluminum with either Edlebrock E-Street or taking a chance on eBay ProComp, or waiting on the right Vortec deal. Done deal now.

Melrose RS
Oct 20th, 10, 12:46 PM
Your compression will be up with these new heads then, right? Your old ones are 76 cc and the new are what, 67cc?

barryfrise
Oct 20th, 10, 02:44 PM
Your compression will be up with these new heads then, right? Your old ones are 76 cc and the new are what, 67cc?

Yes, it'll go up, but not to something too crazy I hope. I don't think I'm above 9:1 today, and after the swap it may go up 1 point? I think it's a 64cc chamber. http://www.rogersperformance.com/EQ.htm . The CH350C head is like a standard Vortec, the CC170BA changes the intake bolt pattern to the earlier style, and the CC170BA2 changes the intake *and* valve cover bolt patterns. This seems to be similar to what RHS offers with its Pro Torker options.

Nashville Beth
Oct 20th, 10, 06:06 PM
I just noticed eBay auction 170554850847 this morning and jumped on it. I bought a pair, and with shipping it was $255. These are Vortec-style heads that allow you to keep your Gen 1 intake manifold (you have to go with center-bolt valve covers tho). To keep my costs down further I'm planning on using the valve train out of my current Chevy casting 3973487 heads in these EngineQuest heads. I found another post that indicated that that was possible, but I'd be interested in any confirmation or comments from anybody, thanks!

The vortecs are great heads because of the intake port and it's matching intake manifold.
The combustion chamber is good, but that's not what seperates these heads from all the rest.
If you don't have to buy a matching intake, you just bought a plain vanilla chevy head that will make about 25 hp less.

brownnote
Oct 20th, 10, 06:35 PM
Am I missing something here?

Everything I have looked at with respect to flow has the vortecs outflowing the eq heads all across the map?

barryfrise
Oct 20th, 10, 09:04 PM
At $100 a head maybe it is too good to be true. It's a reputable seller so I don't expect a problem returning them if I have to, but I'm going to make some calls and talk to a few folks first. Stan Weiss' page posts some EQ CH350C numbers more in line with factory Vortec's (194 @.300, 224 @ .400), but EQ's own catalog doesn't have numbers that good (194 @ .400, it kinda looks like the catalog has a misprint, and I can only hope that's true after buying the things). RHS used a 4.2 inch bore to get their numbers, whereas everyone else uses a 4.030, which I've read could explain their superior numbers. http://www.racingheadservice.com/Information/Technical/FlowCharts_New.asp#PT . As far as the intake port goes, I don't doubt there's a difference, and RHS offers the same kind of thing with their Pro Torker Vortec's, so if they agree there's a 25hp difference then I'll be doing everything I can to return these.

brownnote
Oct 20th, 10, 10:07 PM
hm, didn't notice the 4.2" bore thing. I wonder how much of a difference that makes? Kind of sneeky if it does make a difference.

hrdbllr
Oct 22nd, 10, 05:59 AM
Their 180 performance heads have decent adv flow #s. Ive got their 200cc heads on my 406 and have no complaints. The guy that built my engine had never heard of eq and he had nothing but great things to say about the heads when he set them up.

ToyzRMe
Oct 22nd, 10, 09:51 AM
I use the IMCA-legal EngineQuest CH350I heads for Southern SportMod dirt track engine builds. Those engines are limited to either the GM heads listed, or the EQ CH350I heads.

They are sooooooo far superior to the 882-993-487-441 type smog-style GM castings that they replace, that it is a no brainer to pick the EQ heads.

The EQ heads are VERY thick in the deck. They have a revised water jacket that pretty much eliminates the valve seat and chamber cracking that is common with the GM castings. In fact, the head is very noticeably heavier than any GM casting.

The ports are very nice as cast. Much, MUCH nicer than GM castings. No dingleberries, ledges, random lumps, etc. The rules do not allow porting, so I mill them to 61cc (about .085"), touch up the valve job, set up the guide clearances for the application, and let them roll.

I can't comment on the EQ Vortec replacement head because I haven't used any of those in race apps., but I really feel that the CH350I smogger-style head produces about 25 more REAL horsepower than my best legal set of prepared GM 441 or 487 heads. We're making around 380 or so actual horsepower with the legal 357" engine with a 12"@1200 vacuum rule, 175psi cranking compression rule, a hydraulic flat tappet cam, and a Q-Jet carb. Plus, no more cracking issues or blown head gaskets at all last season.:D

All in all, the EQ heads are a very nice quality iron head, especially for the price.

JMO!

Randy

barryfrise
Oct 22nd, 10, 04:50 PM
I spoke with Mike Rogers (http://www.rogersperformance.com/) and he was very helpful, although he couldn't answer my intake manifold question. He's had good luck with EQ heads and has flowed a set of CC170BA2's (same head as the CH350C and the CC170BA that I bought) on his own bench. These are the numbers he gave me:

.400 217
.450 230
.500 232
.550 236
.600 239
.650 242
.700 244

Pretty good I think. He does head work for racers so wanted to know the higher numbers. Mike also said that it's not really accurate to compare results from two different flow benches, which is why he only trusts his own numbers. He wants to flow a set of stock Vortec's but hasn't had a set in the shop long enough to get that done.

Nashville Beth
Oct 22nd, 10, 06:44 PM

These EQ heads will cost about $350 bare, but they might be a good deal for you since you have all the valvetrain parts to install.

But for someone starting from scratch, the edelbrock E-Tec 170's at $950 or the E-Tec 200's at $1200 are the bargain deal.

Geez, when am I going to get that commission check from edelbrock? :confused:

Vic are you listening ?? :D

Highway Star
Oct 23rd, 10, 12:11 AM
Read until you puke on vortecs....straight from the horse's mouth!!!

http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56505

PRO 48 Fleetline
Oct 23rd, 10, 06:07 PM
Average rule of thumb heads should cost 1/3 of your engine build price.
Not a place to skimp if your looking at a head that small check out brodix's IK series great heads and quality and you can get them bare aswell.

barryfrise
Nov 10th, 10, 12:41 PM
So I've decided to keep these heads and see what happens. I've posted some pics of them at http://www.picasaweb.com/barryfrise/eqheads for grins. Can someone tell me how tall the stock GM Vortec valve guide boss is? I have found only one article or post that mentions it being .760" and I'd like to confirm that. On my heads they are .688 tall, so I'm thinking with standard valve seals and retainers I should be good to almost .500" of lift if .420" is the max on a stock head. Is that math correct? The top of the guide is about .545" wide, and the base of the guide is .781", so both of those are smaller than a stock GM Vortec I believe. I've bought some "flex" Viton valve seals that should work, and I'm planning on using the existing springs I have as they match the cam. We'll have to see if they fit over the valve guide boss.

Chad Speier
Nov 10th, 10, 02:57 PM
Here is flow data for a 1.94/1.600 RHS 170cc Vortec

out of box and then my valve job

.100 67.9/72.9
.200 136.2/144.2
.300 195.5/206.0
.400 233.9/241.5
.500 241.8/249.5
.600 247.1/254.6
.700 247.6/257.6
.800 248.7/257.9

barryfrise
Nov 10th, 10, 03:35 PM
Wow, Chad, impressive, both before and after! Do you have stock GM Vortec numbers from that same bench you can post? Also I don't see the 1.94/1.6 valve combo listed on RHS's website, so did you punch the 1.5 exhaust out to handle a 1.6 valve?

Chad Speier
Nov 10th, 10, 03:51 PM
SORRY! They were a 1.50 exhaust. Part number 12407.

I honestly dont have much stock flow data.

This place might: http://users.erols.com/srweiss/tablehdc.htm

barryfrise
Nov 10th, 10, 04:04 PM
Gotcha. I was thinking that was something you did to improve the exhaust flow. I've also had a look at Stan's web pages before, and actually posted numbers from it earlier in this thread that he has on the EQ heads I bought. Someone told me that it's best to compare numbers off of the same bench so that's why I asked.

Chad Speier
Nov 10th, 10, 04:09 PM
Gotcha. I was thinking that was something you did to improve the exhaust flow. I've also had a look at Stan's web pages before, and actually posted numbers from it earlier in this thread that he has on the EQ heads I bought. Someone told me that it's best to compare numbers off of the same bench so that's why I asked.

Dam good advise!

Busted Knuckles
Nov 11th, 10, 04:59 AM
Hate to tell you this, but your old intake ports won't line up very good with these Vortec heads. Any advantage you got with the Vortec port design is down the tubes with the intake mismatch you'll have. Sell your old intake and pick up a true Vortec piece, you'll be power ahead.

barryfrise
Nov 11th, 10, 09:00 AM
Hate to tell you this, but your old intake ports won't line up very good with these Vortec heads. Any advantage you got with the Vortec port design is down the tubes with the intake mismatch you'll have. Sell your old intake and pick up a true Vortec piece, you'll be power ahead.

I'll assume this was directed at me, and I'm going to conform. Ironically I'm going to have to have my new EQ Vortec heads drilled to accept a Vortec intake manifold! I just paid $90 shipped for a Weiand 8121 on ebay so I thought that was a good deal. Eventually my RHS High Energy 487 heads and Edelbrock Performer will be for sale.

Busted Knuckles
Nov 12th, 10, 05:50 AM
Please post back, maybe these heads have had 'em moved around a bit. Back when Vortecs first started showing up used, a lot of folks tried the re-drill and found that the Vortec's runners are raised a bit and it caused a port mismatch. That's one of the reasons for their better flow and power.

barryfrise
Nov 12th, 10, 09:16 AM
This is what is still confusing me. If the ports are not matched all that well then why do vendors actually offer heads with early bolt patterns? Is it simple supply and demand; give the customer what they want and don't ask questions? A sucker born every minute? Vendors certainly don't put warning messages in their marketing info or catalogs. Racers or skilled hobbyists can make it work using grinders, welders, etc., but my skills stop after simple bolt-ons, and the lack of info on this has been frustrating. EQ told me, "it won't match up perfect, but you won't be able to tell the performance difference." Dude! Really? Got any dyno data on that? Everybody else with an opinion (no real data that I've seen tho) says that you leave 25 horsepower on the table. My other theory is that racers with older "raised port" intakes can use the hybrid Vortecs and not have to drill, but I don't know. I'll continue to post on my adventure, and pictures will go in http://www.picasaweb.com/barryfrise/eqheads. I put a few in there of my new manifold and the valves I'm going to use. Springs, retainers, rocker studs, guide plates and valve seals are on the way. I'll use my existing rocker arms and try to sell my old heads and intake later.

Can anyone tell me the height of a stock GM Vortec valve guide boss? I'd like to compare that to the .688" height on my EQ heads.

Ricks73
Jan 25th, 11, 10:48 PM
Barry,
I too succumbed to the lure of cheap internet cylinder heads. However I think that I'm just going to port match everything as much as possible and let it fly with a standard Performer RPM Air Gap Manifold. There seems to be enough material on the manifold to get close and still leave enough of a ledge to seal. The fel-pro 1255 intake gaskets have both bolt patterns on them and lends itself to some back and forth measuring. I'm going to raise the port a little on the intake and widen the port a little on the heads and bolt it all together.
Here's the gasket on the Air Gap manifold before port match, the intake is upside down so the top of the port is at the bottom of the picture
http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2190/834537/20504037/394820018.jpg
And after the first cut
http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2190/834537/20504037/394820022.jpg

In addition the center wall between the two ports is narrowed.
Here's what the intake looks like roughed out, plenty of meat left to seal. (Intake is right side up in this picture)
http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2190/834537/20504037/394820456.jpg
I'm also doing some minor porting to the heads, pushrod pinch and valve guides mostly. The valve pockets seem perfectly sized as is. I am very impressed with these heads, especially at such a low price. I think they are going to blow away the camel humps I have on the 400 now. I'll keep you posted.
Rick

Busted Knuckles
Jan 26th, 11, 04:41 AM
Don't count on your ports lining up with the intake if you use the old style intake - the ports are raised in Vortec heads. Use the Vortec style intake.

RSSSfanatic
Jan 26th, 11, 09:14 AM

I would be willing to bet that someone makes an adapter to allow you to run old style VC's on a center-bolt head.

eBay ad says no warranty - no return on these. I hope everything lines up where it's supposed to be. Let us know how they turn out.

Ricks73
Jan 26th, 11, 08:28 PM
Don't count on your ports lining up with the intake if you use the old style intake - the ports are raised in Vortec heads. Use the Vortec style intake.

The bottom of the ports seem to be in the same position, the top of the ports are a few 10ths of an inch taller, also the ports are narrower and the center divider is narrower. I believe all of this can be made to work with some careful port matching of both the intake and heads. I have a regular RPM manifold and a vortec manifold, I have both different types of gaskets, I have measured it all out and I think I can acheive 97% of what I would get with a Vortec manifold utilizing the old style manifold and port matching it.
The magic in the vortec style heads is in the short turn radius, and the combustion chamber. The air at the port face is coming in from two different angles on a dual plane manifold. One port matches very easily to the vortec head and the other requires porting deeper into the manifold to get a good shot at it. I realize this is a bit of a compromise but I'm a "do it yourself" kind of guy and to me it's easier to make the manifold fit than trying to spot face, drill and tap the heads. (Did I also mention I was cheap)

Rick

The Brilliant Idiot
Jan 29th, 11, 08:13 PM
I've done all the research that I can and I truly believe the best head out there as far as h.p. to $ is the GM Bow Tie Vortec head. I will be going with the 180 cc models. Everything else out there is a cheap copy or way more money.

Yes, there are adaptors to run regular valve covers on center bolt heads. Nice thing about the Bow Tie Vortecs? They are drilled for either style.

If you get Vortec style heads you are being foolish if you don't get a Vortec style intake. Plain and simple.

barryfrise
Feb 2nd, 12, 10:28 AM
I'm bringing this thread back to life as I've finally started to tear apart the top end of my engine in preparation for my EQ Vortec head swap. I assembled the heads many months ago but the car's been running so well that I've just been enjoying it as is. The mild winter we've been having here in the DC area has extended the cruising season somewhat, but now I'm committed.

To review I bought a pair of bare EQ CC170BA (aka CH350E) heads off ebay, and filled them with stainless valves, "Z28" springs, guide plates, rocker studs and valve seals all purchased from ebay too. I think I have about $450 total in them. I didn't use a machine shop to check tolerances, clearances, etc., I just assembled everything right out of the box using my Harbor Freight calipers to take some measurements. These heads have more valve lift clearance than GM Vortecs, so I'm not so worried about that. This lax assembly obviously goes against all the recommendations from many experienced people on this forum, but I'm doing it anyway. Enjoy the show!

In 2008 I had my car dyno-tuned to get the carb dialed in, and it made 229@4400 hp and 300@3300 tq on a Superflow dyno; it's not a monster engine and the shop owner said those numbers basically equaled what they were seeing on 2005-2008 Mustang GT's. This was with really crusty old headers, a 2 inch dual exhaust with no crossover pipe, the original engine fan with rigid blades and no fan clutch, an M20 4-speed and 8.2" 3.08 rearend. When (if) I get the car running again I want to take it back to the same shop and see what the new numbers are, but there have been some other changes too. I'll replace the Edelbrock Performer with a Weiand 8121 intake, there's new Summit coated headers and Magnaflow 2.5" duals with x-over, an electric cooling fan, TKO-500 and 8.5" 3.42 rearend. I don't think the trans and rearend will make much of a difference but since I'm measuring at the rear wheels it is some of the variables that have changed. I do think the exhaust and fan may have an effect though. The point is that there are a number of changes besides the heads that will contribute to the results.

Davem
Feb 3rd, 12, 10:06 AM
Barry, just to let you know, Engine Masters Magazine (Winter 09) built a 350 with the EQ CH350C 1.94 intake heads and really liked the results. They used a mild Comp Cam 224@.050, 108LSA and made 447HP - 445TQ. Wow...Davem

barryfrise
Feb 4th, 12, 07:32 AM
Barry, just to let you know, Engine Masters Magazine (Winter 09) built a 350 with the EQ CH350C 1.94 intake heads and really liked the results. They used a mild Comp Cam 224@.050, 108LSA and made 447HP - 445TQ. Wow...Davem

Yes, I've seen that article - http://www.popularhotrodding.com/enginemasters/articles/chevrolet/smallblock/0611em_vortec_small_block/viewall.html . The only diff between that head and my head (CH350E) is the intake bolt holes. The intake ports are standard raised Vortec but the intake bolt holes for a Vortec intake manifold are not there. I bought a Vortec intake manifold and have drilled some holes through it so I can mount it to these heads, although initially I didn't want to go to that expense. Although the material is there in the heads for standard Vortec mounting holes the two machine shops I talked to about drilling the heads said they couldn't do it. EQ now has a better hybrid Vortec option with the CH350H. This head is supposed to have the intake *ports* located in the lower pre-Vortec location yet retain the Vortec combustion chamber, so you could use your original intake manifold and not worry about port match issues. This is "better" from a parts matching perspective, but some will claim a big part of the Vortec performance win comes from the higher intake port design. I haven't seen any data to prove one thing or another, but it's an interesting option I think -$190 bare on ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VORTEC-HYBRID-MARINE-CYLINDER-HEAD-HEAT-RISER-/140454187104?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item20b3b8d060#ht_2040wt_883

barryfrise
Mar 16th, 12, 03:12 PM
Ok, I finally got my car back together and running a couple of weeks ago, and two days ago took it to the dyno man to see the results. I gained 33 HP, so that's in the ballpark for what Vortec's should bring, but other things have left me confused. My previous heads were Chevy 487 heads with some mild porting and 76cc chambers. The EQ Vortecs have 64cc chambers. Plugging in a bunch of numbers into one of the compression ratio calculators I think I'm now around 10:1 static and 8.3:1 dynamic. On the dyno the HP and torque curves look basically the same, and the extra 33HP is all made after 4500 rpm, which is where the previous heads ran out of steam. The really strange thing is that to get this performance out of the new heads we had to push the overall timing to 44 degrees, which is way more than typical, right? At 36 and 40 it was under the old setup all the way through the rpm range. I expected gains all through the rpm range, not just up top, and torque basically stays the same. Any thoughts on what if anything may be wrong? It doesn't seem to knock and I've got 91 octane in it right now. Is the Comp Cams HE268 a bad match for Vortecs and my compression ratio?