Bumper brackets and front alignment question [Archive] - Team Camaro Tech

: Bumper brackets and front alignment question

ND-67
Apr 21st, 11, 10:14 AM
I have a '67 that has all of the front sheet metal on and aligned. My engine and transmission are not in the car yet. All of my gaps look really good and I don't want to mess that up.

That being said; I went to install my front bumper brackets to the sub frame I noticed the driver side is up against my lower valence and the passenger side is not. I got to looking and also noticed the front wheels are located differently relative to the fenders.

So after reading on here I took some diagonal measurements and there is a 1/2" difference from one to the other.

I'm not sure what to do next. Since my sheet metal is on and lined up (I didn't line it all up my body guy did) I don't really want to mess it up. But I also don't want my bumper bracket up against my lower valence. Can I adjust the subframe without messing up the gaps in my sheet metal?

67Rally
Apr 21st, 11, 10:37 AM
I have a '67 that has all of the front sheet metal on and aligned. My engine and transmission are not in the car yet. All of my gaps look really good and I don't want to mess that up.

That being said; I went to install my front bumper brackets to the sub frame I noticed the driver side is up against my lower valence and the passenger side is not. I got to looking and also noticed the front wheels are located differently relative to the fenders.

So after reading on here I took some diagonal measurements and there is a 1/2" difference from one to the other.

I'm not sure what to do next. Since my sheet metal is on and lined up (I didn't line it all up my body guy did) I don't really want to mess it up. But I also don't want my bumper bracket up against my lower valence. Can I adjust the subframe without messing up the gaps in my sheet metal?

Yes, that shouldn't have anything to do with it. Did you check to see where the alignment holes in the middle subframe mounts are realative to the aligment holes in the floor?

Hopefully one of the experts will chime in here to give you a step by step, or you could do a search, because I have seen the process of aligning the body to the subframe listed somewhere here.

One of my bumper brackets was hitting my lower valance, and when I replaced the front bumper with a new one, I was able to loosen all the bumper brackets and realign everything so the two brackets that attach to the subframe sat even in the openings. However, it sounds like you will need to do that in addition to loosening all your subframe mounts, realigning the subframe and making sure it's square.

ND-67
Apr 21st, 11, 10:44 AM
The holes do not line up perfect. In reading other posts it sounds as if the diagonal measurements are more important than the holes lining up though... from my understanding they are a starting point?

My diagonal measurements are 1/2" off from each other.

IRON MAN
Apr 21st, 11, 10:48 AM
Something or things are not correct. Have you bolted on the bumper to see how it lines up? From what you said,the frt bumpert might end up airborne on the driver's side. Describe how the front wheels are located differently in fender openings. I have a '68 Camaro (not RS). The wheels are both exactly 2-1/4" from the lower fender extension seam where it bolts to the front fender. Running 225 x 60/ 15 new BFG T/A tires. All sheetmetal have equal gaps and are well situated. Brackets are perfectly located. I don't have a mental image of how your wheels are 1/2" off diagnonally from each other. Can you post some pix? '67 & '68 Camaro non-RS share the same valance, bumper, inner brackets. Are your brackets new? Alignment guys may chime in on readjusting your subframe and possible re-alignment of front end. When bolting on body parts I usually install the doors first so they line up and open and close properly. Then, install the rest of the front sheetmetal loosely, adjust, and line up gaps from there.