67 RS/SS headlight wiring [Archive] - Team Camaro Tech

: 67 RS/SS headlight wiring

hipirn
May 28th, 11, 08:04 PM
I have a 67 RS/SS convertible that has been apart for over 25 years, it has the original wiring harness's that have been cleaned and re-taped and are in pretty good condition. The issue is all tags and markings are un readable as far as reinstallation. all the harness's had been removed from the car for extensive body reworking. I have most of the wiring back where it belongs and am currently working on the front wiring, the hide away headlights, park lights horns etc. I have all the GM manuals and wiring diagrams as well as some aftermarket diagrams, but have found none that are very helpful for the RS hideaways!
It seems to me that I don't have enough wires to hook up the headlight motors and all the limit switches.
I have tried to find "living" examples but there are none in my area. I don't know where to turn for help. Parts suppliers can only offer there worthless pamphlets regarding the RS wiring issue! I'm stumped! hipirn

blue89bird
May 28th, 11, 08:25 PM
http://www.gvtc.com/~rlaa/

hipirn
May 29th, 11, 06:29 AM
Jason thanks for the reply. The depicted diagrams on that site are ones taken from various GM manuals and are marginally helpful but not very informative to a novice (with some experience) that is looking at a handful of wires that are not the same color as those depicted therein! Un-fortunatley only owners of 67 RS's will face this issue and thats not a very big audience... hipirn

mike shields
May 29th, 11, 07:28 AM
Most venders sell the 67R/S wiring book it is laid out nice, sounds like you might need new harness, their are alot of different items that you need.Correct harnes is going to make job straight foward. If I could do it ,most can cause I am no means an Electrical expert. When harness is laid out and run correctly ,all conection points and plugs pretty much matched up. Wires are color code, green ,green/black & brown etc., also resistor wire that goes to light switch. ,relays and limit switchs .Realy the book will help!! Also do a surch on the subjct tones of info. I did mine almost seven years ago , and once got it all adjusted ,it has been troule free. Hope yours does the same! Just take your time.

mike shields
May 29th, 11, 07:29 AM
Boy , my spelling is way off today

Melrose RS
May 29th, 11, 07:31 AM
First thing I would do ( and have done) is color the schematic and it will be much more clear to you. All the relays are the same, you just need to match the connections correctly, limit switches stop the motor running in each direction by breaking the ground. Good ground are essential and every switch relay or motor can be tested individually with a 12v, a test light or multimeter. There are lots of troubleshooting posts available if you search. Sorry icant be morehelp at the moment because I am writing this from an iPhone but get it wired best you can then tell us what it does or doesnt do.

hipirn
May 30th, 11, 06:35 AM
Thanks for the comebacks (my 67RS/SS convt. is a family heirloom also). Apparently there is a 67 RS wiring book that I don't have? Where can I get one? All the ones I've seen thus far have about a 1/4 page diagram for the 67 setup and does not show each connection. The rest of the information is about other information (not head lights) and other models though they do have some diagnostic information.
One thing I know for sure, the wiring harness is original and no one but me has worked with it. I've been working on cars 50+ years and it's hard to admit that I'm stymied with this but I suppose that's one of the penalties of the "golden years"!
Also where do you find this kind of wiring information? is it archived on this forum or elsewhere? Thanks again for your indulgence.... hipirn

mike shields
May 30th, 11, 07:01 AM
It is called 67-69 RS ,console gauge & Headlight wiring diagram manual. I think Ricks, Classic Indutries, NPD, etc have them. The book is from JimOsborn reproduction.inc. www. osborn-reprodution.com . It is16 pages full of instructions and diagrams, good detail, hope this helps

mike shields
May 30th, 11, 07:09 AM
The 67 asemby manual is also good to show you were things are mounterd and how the wireing harness is routed under the hood and in the dash also, it is a copy of what the plant workers used back in the day.

rogerh
May 30th, 11, 08:28 AM
There are just two wiring harnesses in the front of your car. If you have the two then your not missing anything. Is your harness stock or after-market? I have some pics of the limit switched and may be able take some others. Give me a idea where you are working.

Roger

69-Pace
May 30th, 11, 09:10 AM
The link in blue89bird's post is to a great resource of documents. The link listed for the 67-69 rs console gauge and headlight wiring is the manual mentioned "67-69 RS wiring manual" minus the front cover artwork. Its a zip file of a PDF scan so you can print it out and give it a good study. http://www.gvtc.com/~rlaa/Electrical/scan.zip

rogerh
May 30th, 11, 05:24 PM
Phil welcome to the site. I have a few of the front wiring, some before and some after restoration. Two pics are on there side so top is to the left.

Roger

mahunt
May 31st, 11, 07:27 AM
Getting a '67 RS Camaro's headlight doors working again can be tricky.

Retro-Electro has nice replacement motors (the best in my opinion) and a nice troubleshooting guide as well as some wiring information. Enjoy.

http://retro-electro.net/FAQ67.html

I think the trickiest parts are the diode and the highbeam switch grounds.

hipirn
May 31st, 11, 06:21 PM
Guys thanks for all the information. I have not been able to respond the past 24+ hours as my service provider (computer) had a catastrophic failure of some kind and I just got back on line. The pictures provided will be a big help. I all ready see one problem, the big red wire that goes to the right front does not have a terminal to hook too. The referenced site looks like it'll help too.
Apparently there are jumper wires that go between some of the limit switches that I don't have also. As soon as I get back to the car (trying to plant garden after the rain finally quit) I'll tune in as I'm sure to have other questions... Thanks again...... hipirn

blue89bird
Jun 13th, 11, 09:54 AM
Phil welcome to the site. I have a few of the front wiring, some before and some after restoration. Two pics are on there side so top is to the left.

Roger

Roger,

Thanks so much for those pictures...really helping me as well. Without trying to hijack this thread, anyway you can describe how your wiring harness lies that goes to the assorted limit switches.

Mine doesn't seem to have long enough wires to reach the limit switches inside the headlight capsules, and I'm thinking I just don't have the harness ran properly.

Thanks so much!

-Jason

rogerh
Jun 13th, 11, 06:43 PM
Roger,

Thanks so much for those pictures...really helping me as well. Without trying to hijack this thread, anyway you can describe how your wiring harness lies that goes to the assorted limit switches.

Mine doesn't seem to have long enough wires to reach the limit switches inside the headlight capsules, and I'm thinking I just don't have the harness ran properly.

Thanks so much!

-Jason

Jason I don't know if a 68 and 67 would be the same.
On the 67 the harness starts at the firewall and before it runs on top of the left inner wheel well there should be a blue and tan wire. Then the gen wiring should come out of the harness from under the fender, then the connectors for the relay board. Next the regulator and horn relay wiring just before the harness goes around the left end of the core support. Now the harness runs up under the core support flange along the front between the support and the grill. The limit switch wiring drops out of the harness just on top of the switches. The horn wire should drop out in the center of the support. The harness is held to the support by clips that are wrapped in to the harness and are pushed through holes in the core support.
Hope this helps.

Roger

Roger

blue89bird
Jun 14th, 11, 04:07 AM
Thanks so much - thats my problem. My harness is on tge engine side of the support.

cpodeep
Jun 14th, 11, 08:05 AM
Not to hijack the thread, but I have a quick question while we are discussing the 67 RS headlight wiring harness. I have noticed that in all the catalogs.....they list two different harnesses...one for gauges and one for non gauges. I wonder where the difference is and why? Alternator?

Anyone have any thoughts on this? I have the STD RS non-gauge harness (given to me), but the car has gauges. Trying to figure out what I need to do to make this work? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :beers:

Thanks

blue89bird
Jun 14th, 11, 10:41 AM
Don't know but I'm interested in knowing the answer as well.

mahunt
Jun 14th, 11, 11:25 AM
1967 RS, gauge vs non-gauge harnesses probably has to do with the ammeter wires as the other gauge wires are sourced through the "engine harness" (there are two major harnesses that originate at the firewall in the engine compartment) and not the "lights harness".

flyingskibiker
Jun 14th, 11, 08:43 PM
The temp sender connector is usually different, too.

cpodeep
Jun 15th, 11, 07:01 AM
I think...the temp sender comes off of the engine harness????

Geezer
Jun 15th, 11, 10:33 AM
The gauge harness also has the tachometer wiring. Some of the connector pins have different things connected to them depending if it has gauges or not. There are some diagrams I have that I used to convert a non gauge harness to gauges but It's beem many many years ago, I don't remember all the changes. http://www.gvtc.com/~rlaa/

flyingskibiker
Jun 15th, 11, 05:22 PM
'68 temp sender is on the light harness. I figured they were the same... There I go, assuming again... '67 AIM shows it on the engine harness. '68 & 69 AIMs show it on light harness. Oh well...

cpodeep
Jun 16th, 11, 03:26 AM
Ron,
Thanks for the info! I think with that I can figure it out. Looks like the difference is in the Ammeter wiring. :beers: :beers:

69-Pace
Jun 16th, 11, 06:54 AM
the RS with console gauge harness has all the support for the gauges as well as the RS stuff and having a RS harness without gauges is not a major issue.

AAW sells a gauge conversion harness that "converts" and or adds the missing looms for the gauges. They also have a conversion to change out a factory amp gauge to a volts meter. See http://Factoryfit.com for details

hipirn
Jun 16th, 11, 07:49 PM
To all responders 67 RS headlight wiring. I finally got the wiring run on mine as per original though I haven't juiced it up yet as I am trying to get all the wiring hooked up before hooking the battery. I'm sure that will be interesting!!
Thanks to all for your help!
I'll be posting on other threads for other issues I see coming up... hipirn

mahunt
Jun 17th, 11, 12:51 PM
69-Pace,

Does AAW also sell a '67 style voltmeter to go along with the voltmeter conversion? That would be interesting.

69-Pace
Jun 17th, 11, 07:20 PM
69-Pace,

Does AAW also sell a '67 style voltmeter to go along with the voltmeter conversion? That would be interesting.

No the catalog only have 68-69 saw-tooth center gauge style replacements, but I wonder if you could use the guts and attach a new face. I have never seen a 67 console or gauge set but I understand the faces and housing is round?

57chevrolet
Jan 26th, 14, 11:52 AM
Hey guys,
Sounds like you are a bunch of GREAT guys your comments and pictures were a complete success in finding out what to do hooking up my headlight relays. Can wait to get to the shop and start working.