Replace Timing Belt on Honda Accord V6 [Archive] - Team Camaro Tech

: Replace Timing Belt on Honda Accord V6

Andrew69
Oct 6th, 11, 05:21 PM
Is there anyone out there that has experiece in replacing the timing belt on a '99 Honda Accord V6 car? I can get a belt kit from Honda for $184 delivered and it is supposed to include everything needed but the tools.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/98-99-02-HONDA-GENUINE-ACCORD-TIMING-BELT-KIT-V6-OEM-/220804773842?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3368fd77d2

PARTS LIST
TIMING BELT (oem # 14400-P8A-A02)
WATER PUMP (oem #19200-P8A-A02)
ALT/A/C COMPRESSOR BELT (oem # 38920-P8C-A02)
P/S PUMP BELT (oem # 56992-P8A-A01)
CAMSHAFT OIL SEAL x2 (oem # 91213-R70-A02)
CRANK OIL SEAL (oem # 91212-P8A-A01)
ALL PARTS ARE GENUINE OEM HONDA PARTS

Or I can drive 1 hour each direction, sit and wait on the work to be completed, and pay Honda about $700.

Or I can pay a local repair shop to do the work, again for probably about $700.

What degree of difficult am I facing to save about $500?

1968RallySport
Oct 6th, 11, 05:47 PM
I found this......

http://www.thetfp.com/threads/2003-2007-honda-accord-j30-v6-timing-belt-replacement-diy-procedure.1152/#axzz1a3IyoXaY

quickboat
Oct 6th, 11, 06:13 PM
Sorry WE have timing CHAINS!

JAYARTER
Oct 6th, 11, 07:57 PM
They take about 4/5 hours, always replace waterpump. What comes in the kit? j

Calpantera
Oct 7th, 11, 01:41 PM
Non-Camaro tech? Never seen this section before. Seems decent enough :)

I found this......

http://www.thetfp.com/threads/2003-2007-honda-accord-j30-v6-timing-belt-replacement-diy-procedure.1152/#axzz1a3IyoXaY

Looks like a good write up, not sure about the usual subject matter of those forums if you noticed :)

I would also pick up a Chiltons or some other repair manual.

Umm, some of us have gears..

Vintage 68
Oct 7th, 11, 02:18 PM

... Umm, some of us have gears..

Uhmmmm - some of us do have belts ;)

While I've never done a 99 Accord, I've done quite a few other timing belts on domestic and foreign vehicles.
The write-up linked is a pretty good outline of the common work/steps needed for most.
Some of the newer are very sensitive to cam position sensor adjustment and signal - I've spend days getting a 2004 Jeep 4.7 V-8 right :sad:

Like said - take your time and ALWAYS replace the water pump and other spervice parts while you're in there! Or you'll be doing the same work over again with months :o

Andrew69
Oct 11th, 11, 03:22 PM
Okay, I am down to breaking loose the crank pulley bolt but that booger is holding tight. It humiliates my 1/2" impact wrench.

I rented the tool to hold the crank pulley still and with a 6ft pipe bent a pull handle and extensions about 30 degrees and nothing snapped, not even the tools. I applied some PB Blaster and applied some heat and beat it with a hammer too.

I am contacting my friends trying to borrow a 3/4" impact wrench and 19mm socket. Any ideas?

I will say that a T/C member that goes by 69Z28&SS396 graciously offered to come by and help but it didn't work out. I do appreciate his offer to help.

Everett#2390
Oct 11th, 11, 04:23 PM
Some Honda's I have done in the past, jam a 5/16 inch flat blade screwdriver against a flywheel tooth, if a manual, fourth gear and set the parking brake with an assistant on the brake pedal, and using a 1/2 inch drive six-point socket, bring out/extend the flex handle to the side of the car, prop the end of handle on a jack stand to keep the wrench parallel, visegrip over the flex handle end to prevent breaking the yoke, extend the handle, and with a straight shot to the crank bolt, I stand on the extension and jump onto it. The shock breaks it loose.

The bolt is only torqued to 180 ft/lbs. I think Honda hired the same gorilla from GM who installed the coolant pipe drain plugs in the blocks. Wonder when he'll retire.............

Andrew69
Oct 11th, 11, 04:42 PM
It's an auto tranny with no flywheel, but I'll try the jumping up and down thing anyway. I am about 175 lbs so I'll have to jump up and down pretty hard to make up for it. You'd think that gorilla would have retired by now. Hope I don't break a leg.......

I did find this information with several ways to destroy your car or hurt yourself or maybe even get the stupid nut off. http://www.v6performance.net/forums/6g-technical-discussion/60787-crankshaft-pulley-bolt-advice-sticky.html

Andrew69
Oct 11th, 11, 06:03 PM
I broke it loose! Jumping up and down on the pull handle didn't accomplish anything other than me jumping up and down. I resorted to a shadetree technique. The 19mm socket was held by a pull handle, it in turn rested on some wood stacked up under the front bumper area to keep it from turning. I then stepped inside the car and briefly bumped the starter. The bolt popped loose and I was able to remove the bolt with my fingers.
Tomorrow I will pick up where I left off.

Vintage 68
Oct 12th, 11, 09:50 AM
The bolt is only torqued to 180 ft/lbs. I think Honda hired the same gorilla from GM who installed the coolant pipe drain plugs in the blocks. Wonder when he'll retire.............

We always called that "Japanese Tight" :p

They don't pre-lube threads before torqueing in most cases - makes it almost impossible to get them off after a few years of exposure ... :sad:

Almost as bad as those old VW rear axle nuts :D

Andrew69
Oct 16th, 11, 05:35 PM
Well I have just about finished up the job. Still have to put new plugs in and put the covers back on then fire it up and see if it runs. I am pretty confident I have the timing set correctly so not too concerned about firing it up.
It really wasn't that bad of a job. The worst part was working in the close quarters between the engine and inner fender of the car. It took more than an hour to get the one bolt in that secures the dipstick in place. I finally ground a point on the screw so it would hit the hole more easily and then fastened it in place in the dipstick flange hole with a couple pieces of plastic cut from a drink bottle. Then it securely pointed in the correct direction without falling out and started the threads when I wiggled the ratchet and socket in there.
My hands are all skinned up. I learned a lot and I saved about $500. Thanks for your help everyone.

1968RallySport
Oct 16th, 11, 06:12 PM
Quote: "Looks like a good write up, not sure about the usual subject matter of those forums if you noticed"

LOL, yeah, I noticed it.

Calpantera
Oct 16th, 11, 08:34 PM
I broke it loose! Jumping up and down on the pull handle didn't accomplish anything other than me jumping up and down. I resorted to a shadetree technique. The 19mm socket was held by a pull handle, it in turn rested on some wood stacked up under the front bumper area to keep it from turning. I then stepped inside the car and briefly bumped the starter. The bolt popped loose and I was able to remove the bolt with my fingers.

Heh heh, well ya had a power crank bolt remover attached to the engine all along huh?
Now thats using your noggin :)

Everett#2390
Oct 17th, 11, 03:18 AM
Innovation is the key. Never is much room between the engine and frame member.
I hate skinned knuckles, but goes with the job.
Good job, Andrew.

spydercatt
Jun 1st, 13, 12:20 AM
Here is a detailed video with step-by-step instruction on the replacement of the timing belt on the Honda Acura V6 J Series engine, including the replacement of the pulleys, tensioner, as well as the water pump and special tools needed to complete the job.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weNxSGSst38

Melrose RS
Jun 1st, 13, 03:39 AM

Yup, i've used that method too! Suggested to me by an old master mechanic. Gotta say there is some fear when you hear that bolt crack until you look and see that it did in fact work!

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

gordr
Jun 1st, 13, 11:42 AM
On my 67 SS 396 I do everything. But, I did my wife's Nissan Micra's timing belt 14 years ago and, hey, I didn't torque down the camshaft sprocket's bolts properly and the sprocket came loose and broke off, I pulled head and replaced 3 valves. Lucky a parts yard was able to sell me a whole running car for $100 so got the cam and sprocket out of that one and stuck in wife's Micra. Got a ton of other parts from that junker car that consoled me somewhat.

Now wife's got a 2006 VW Golf TDI diesel...great car, but I ain't touching the timing belt area in that one. It'll cost $900 to have that done when the due time comes next year...but I'll be worry free!

Vintage 68
Jun 1st, 13, 03:59 PM
Here is a detailed video with step-by-step instruction on the replacement of the timing belt on the Honda Acura ...

Wow, and only two and a half years after he finished the job ... Super :thumbsup:

BMR Suspension
Dec 10th, 13, 01:34 PM
On my 67 SS 396 I do everything. But, I did my wife's Nissan Micra's timing belt 14 years ago and, hey, I didn't torque down the camshaft sprocket's bolts properly and the sprocket came loose and broke off, I pulled head and replaced 3 valves. Lucky a parts yard was able to sell me a whole running car for $100 so got the cam and sprocket out of that one and stuck in wife's Micra. Got a ton of other parts from that junker car that consoled me somewhat.

Now wife's got a 2006 VW Golf TDI diesel...great car, but I ain't touching the timing belt area in that one. It'll cost $900 to have that done when the due time comes next year...but I'll be worry free!

Honda & VW Dealers regularly send out $100 or 15% Coupons - it's the only way to go.

The last time I had a Civic (it went 350,000 Miles for me and I'm sure it's still going unless a Kid wrapped it around a Tree), I had the Belt Replaced by the Dealership, the NumbNuts put it on wrong & they bent Valves - I got a Head Job & Free Rental car for a week. I took a Trip with the Rental & brought it back with close to 3,000 Miles Driven! ;)

T.C.

BPOS
Dec 12th, 13, 07:43 AM
This thread is old enough that Andrew might be ready to do the job again, so a good refresher for him!

I got a Head Job & Free Rental car for a week.

Good deal no matter what!