"Lifetime Battery" not so according to Firestone [Archive] - Team Camaro Tech

: "Lifetime Battery" not so according to Firestone

inetquestion
Nov 11th, 11, 08:14 PM
If you are one of the few remaining individuals who bought a JCPenney unlimited lifetime battery, what you thought you had may no longer be the case. These warranties have been serviced by Firestone for at least the past 20 years due to purchasing all of JCPenny's auto service centers. This was purchased in 1970 by the current/original owner of a 1969 camaro.

Today a manager at Firestone informed me the free lifetime battery placement would no longer be free. When I asked how Firestone arrived at this decision, he said they couldn't keep giving batteries away forever. I find this perplexing considering that is the essence of lifetime.

I understand it has been 40+ years and by now its gone longer than what JCPenny & Firestone likely expected. On the other hand, dont sell something you cant support. The fact it was sold by JCPenney and Firestone bought them is irrelevant. Purchasing the rights as they did also included all the liabilities for servicing claims. In any case how many of these could possible exist today? I'm sure its not many considering how long it took the manager to find anyone who had ever seen one or knew how to process it. Given his difficulty in handling the situation, it makes me wonder whether this was his personal commentary or an edict from corporate.

Has anyone here had any issues with this before?

Brandan
Nov 11th, 11, 08:39 PM
I think that if you have a 40 year old battery and it just went out, regardless if you had the warranty, you got your monies worth........... :thumbsup:

I would think that they would at least honor the warranty, in fact a letter or phone call could be in order for you. If I were Firestone, to say that I had a customer that had a forty year battery, I could use that for a commercial....:D

Brandan-

ss27
Nov 11th, 11, 09:15 PM
Sometime around 35 40 yrs ago we sold Willard lifetime batteries.Willard was a sub division of Eastern standard brands, it,s now all Exide.Those batteries we sold in groves. Back then bateries were 12 /24/ or 36 month was the best.Everything was going fine for about 4 yrs, then they started coming back faster than we sold them 98 percent of them were NG. The warranties drove us crazy and almost put Willard out of bisiness. In any event they made good on all the claims and after about 18 months they got rid of the name willard and E S B no longer took care of the warranties. This is what happened up in my neck of the woods . i don,t know if they sold them nation wide or just in the north east. Alex

Vintage 68
Nov 11th, 11, 11:12 PM
I would ask them to show me the policy change IN WRITTING and 'if' ... they can produce a document ask for a copy.
Then take my original sales copy and file in my local Small Claims juristriction to get the expected value of the original warranty (based on the number or batteries expected for the remaing time I would own the vehicle) in my demand.

I bet the manager will balk at your request - and then as you stand there waiting ... just give you another battery to make you go away.
If not, or he won't/can't show the policy change in writting, ask him for the contact information for customer complaints at Firestone.
A warranty is a written performance document (and contract) between you and the original provider (Firestone DBA J.C.Penny Auto Center) - it can only be changed if you agree to the changes.
If they fail to perform you have legal right to proceed and recover your replacement battery value ...

I've got lots of 'Limited' lifetime warranty parts on cars - brakes, alternators, starters, water pumps and etc. - when they go bad I take them back :yes:
Do get 'the look' at times but usually they give me the parts with no questions after I hand them the paperwork.
Went through the "we don't do that anymore" a few years back with Bendix over a "Lifetime" friction material replacement warranty - same truck (owned since new in 1977), Bendix pads bought in 1984 - on it's 4th replacement set of front pads now, last three free :D
Took a minor amount of time and one letter to get the last set ...

I don't turn-over of some of the 'fleet' very often ;)
I fiqure they'll put a 'hit' out on me eventually - it would cost them less :p

rodek
Nov 12th, 11, 12:10 AM
Vintage 68 I like your style!

Same thing happened with my Abu Carcia Ambassadeur Fishing reel.
It was bought about 15 years a go with a lifetime warranty, newer used it much in the past 15 years, just occasionally whenever I got the chance to go fishing few times a year.

Well this summer the reel went bad and I contacted the manufacturer who forwarded me to this service company that today takes care of all services for them in Finland. Sent my reel to be serviced and well well guess what, got it back with a ~200$ service fee!

I went a bit mad since nobody said anything that a) it would cost me money to have it serviced, b) that the lifetime warranty was over...
Huge fight over the payment, eventually I never did pay but they expected me to understand that using the reel for 15 years was a lifetime.

Why would they sell the reel with a lifetime warranty if this was not the case? There is even a certificate in the original reel box from the royal majesty of sweden that Abu guarantees my reef for a lifetime :) The new reels they sell are only with 10 year warranty :)

This reel will be the last reel I will ever buy, it's got a lifetime warranty, although I might get into trouble trying to get it serviced ever again in the same place...

stroud6
Nov 12th, 11, 03:26 AM
I can not stress this enough but I hate firestone. I will never buy anything from them again. not only did they not honor there warranty but they tried to blame me for their bad tires. but enough about me. hope you are able to get them to replace your battery. mark

69-Pace
Nov 12th, 11, 04:09 AM
Check with your own States Chief Attorney General's office. But in most cases if its in writing they have to honor it unless they have filed for chapter 11 protection, or settled with the state to discontinue the "protection" at which point you would have had to been notified in writing of the discontinuance, and been offered compensation. In some states just posting a notice in the paper serves as the writing portion of the notice.

Doesn't hurt to also write a letter to the president of Firestone - and look at your local media for one of the "action teams" that love these type of stories. Like a small dog at the ankles they make Public Relations folks sweat at night.

DOUG G
Nov 12th, 11, 04:28 AM
Raybestos had a "forever brakes" warranty (as long as you owned the car)....Last time I went in they said it was the last set and they don't honor it anymore (Western Auto) :mad:
Well... neither did the truck :(

Hammer450R
Nov 12th, 11, 04:44 AM
I went to Firestone once because i had a blowout and needed a tire right then and there.
Service manager came out to me and said "we just checked your injectors and they are real dirty and he can do a $110 cleaning." At that point i said oh wow you really took an injector out of my work van? That would take forever let me see. And he started stuttering like skipping record and said if you don't want it done no problem. I said i want to see that you took out an injector on my van please! Then he started mumbling that he doesn't really know how the mechanic checks and walks out the door to the garage. Of course the waiting room is packed and watched the whole thing. And i never had a new tire put on a truck so fast in my life, he wanted me out of there so bad so he could rape the rest of the crowd.

DT
Nov 12th, 11, 09:05 AM
Wow, 40 years later and you really expect to get a replacement battery for free? Good luck. Do you have the original receipt???

BigBlock1969RS
Nov 12th, 11, 09:37 AM
Wow, 40 years later and you really expect to get a replacement battery for free? Good luck. Do you have the original receipt???

Why shouldn't he expect one if it was sold to him with a "lifetime replacement" warranty? Are you saying companies shouldn't have to uphold their contracts? Like was said before barring, a bankruptcy which would eliminate that liability it caries over when the company is sold...

DonA
Nov 12th, 11, 09:46 AM
Generally today a "lifetime warranty" just covers the useful life of the product and not a replacement. If it is no longer "serviceable" the useful life is over.
In my business a customer brought a product in that looked as if an elephant sat on it. In fact it was in about six pieces. According to the customer...no one ever used it...it just self destructed.

:DBut they could just shoot you and that would end the warranty:D

Z27LS3
Nov 12th, 11, 10:28 AM
I could barely get walmart to replace a almost brand new walmart battery that was leaking acid through the posts. first the kid at the counter told me "i cant just exchange it, it has to be tested", I replied "thats not needed as I am not questioning the charge, its leaking acid"
after 10 minutes of attempting to explain the not needing a recharge situation I asked for the "manager". a man my age came up. I restated my position and did'nt care about the policy or recharge to qualify replacement. I kept it simple and politely asked for my replacement battery, I got it. The 15 or 20 people behind me got a good class on how to get what you want at walmart. just keep asking for the manager, and in some cases I have gone thru 4 or 5 managers before I get whatever it happens to be.

DT
Nov 12th, 11, 10:39 AM
[QUOTE=DonA;1633848]Generally today a "lifetime warranty" just covers the useful life of the product and not a replacement. If it is no longer "serviceable" the useful life is over.
In my business a customer brought a product in that looked as if an elephant sat on it. In fact it was in about six pieces. According to the customer...no one ever used it...it just self destructed.

Useful life of the product and not a replacement

X2

DT
Nov 12th, 11, 10:42 AM
Why shouldn't he expect one if it was sold to him with a "lifetime replacement" warranty? Are you saying companies shouldn't have to uphold their contracts? Like was said before barring, a bankruptcy which would eliminate that liability it caries over when the company is sold...

We are talking about a 40 year old battery here!

DjD
Nov 12th, 11, 11:00 AM
We are talking about a 40 year old battery here!

No I think this is about someone buying a battery 40 yrs ago and having it replaced over and over as each replacement goes bad.

There are a lot of "for as long as the orig owner owns the vehicle" type warrantys out there and a lot of stories too. I remember one about an old gal with her old car who has kept it running using lifetime warrantys. I'll try to find it...

I would think the product manufacture and retailer would use something like this to their own benefit, great PR!

BigBlock1969RS
Nov 12th, 11, 11:01 AM
Generally today a "lifetime warranty" just covers the useful life of the product and not a replacement. If it is no longer "serviceable" the useful life is over.

Useful life of the product and not a replacement

The key word in your statement is *today*, this was 40 years ago... And that would depend on the wording on the original warranty. If it was defined as useful life of the product that is one thing. I be willing to bet it wasn't worded that way back then nor probably how it was marketed (usually for as long as you own it).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warranty#Lifetime_warranty
HP Networking products lifetime warranties for as long as you own the product.

So you see it really depends on how the manufacturer set it up.

DjD
Nov 12th, 11, 11:15 AM
check this out... (suggestion to the orig poster, contact a consumer watch news media person and go back with their film crew)

http://growingbolder.com/media/technology/vehicles/romancing-the-road-259598.html#content_tabs

dyno jonn
Nov 12th, 11, 11:58 AM
In 1959 Rambler gave a "lifetime" guarantee on their exhaust systems. They regretted that one.

Also, here's a 1975 ad from Midas all about their lifetime warranty.

Midas Commercial from 1975 - YouTube

As you can see, the old guy has his paperwork firmly in hand.....

inetquestion
Nov 12th, 11, 02:09 PM
Yes, I do have all of the original paperwork. I also have a stack of papers from where they have replaced them for free numerous times over the past 40 years.

Yes, I do expect an unlimited lifetime warranty to be honored until that car is a puddle of rust or I am dead.

In addition, I expect anyone else who paid for something to expect to get what they paid for as well.

I am perplexed why should anyone expect less?

DonA
Nov 12th, 11, 02:45 PM
The key word in your statement is *today*, this was 40 years ago... And that would depend on the wording on the original warranty. If it was defined as useful life of the product that is one thing. I be willing to bet it wasn't worded that way back then nor probably how it was marketed (usually for as long as you own it).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warranty#Lifetime_warranty

So you see it really depends on how the manufacturer set it up.

Don't get me wrong, I am with you on the lifetime replacement as it was originally purchased because you have the original documentation. I must commend you on that for sure. There seem to be lifetime warranties popping up all over the place, but they are really limited lifetime warranties. Consumers just hear lifetime and thats all.
Back in the day, no one could forsee the world we live in today or the world we will live in tomorrow.

Steiner
Nov 12th, 11, 03:38 PM
Google "jc penny lifetime battery". You'll find some people who said their warranty stated replacement or refund and they at least got the original purchase price back when they decided to drop the lifetime replacement.

A tank of gas costs now as much as a battery for my car so buying one every five years or so doesn't hurt so much relatively speaking.

perryking
Aug 17th, 12, 04:11 PM
17 August 2012

After all this talk !! Its all for NOT!! I Just called JCPenny Customer service 1-800 -322 -1189 number, and they called the manager of my nearest JCPenney store, who called me back and read the policy to me: "Go get your own battery and bring the paperwork to us and we will reimburse you up to $120.00."

I have a 1973 Porsche 914 , I bought the battery around 1979. This will be my 4th or so replacement battery. JCPenny just ended the arrangement with Firestone (who had bought all the JCPenney auto stores). But JCPenny is still honoring the warranty directly.

Procedure:

Contact store manager first to get the policy and alert them of your need for the replacement battery.

Paper work required: (Bing to store manager)

Copy of Original proof of purchase.

Copy of Car registration showing same owner and same car as was originaly installed in.

Vin Number.

Stickers off of old battery.

Reciept for cost of new battery.

They will reimbuse for your cost of new battery up to $120.00.

Above requriments are realy no different than you had to do when doing the replacementat a Firestone store.

nashcar
Aug 17th, 12, 05:50 PM
Not intending to hijack this thread but I had a similar situation with Rik's First Gen Camaro " low price guarantee" as stated on their front cover. This week I needed a seal kit they advertise for $119. The exact same thing from another vendor for $33. Riks' rep said " no way they can match that price, is there anything else I can do for you?" I laughed and said change your wording on the cover. I've spent quite a few dollars with them over the years but no more.

67sc
Aug 17th, 12, 07:35 PM
These promotions were made on the assumption that few (but some) would keep the cars. The intent at the time was forever (look it up).

Therefore, the promise must (or at least should) be honored.

If I make a promise to you today, is it less valid tomorrow because I decide not to honor it? How would the banking industry survive?

anthony hisle
Aug 17th, 12, 08:55 PM
i agree if its lifetime that's what i expect.if i remember right when you buy something with a lifetime warranty it costs a lot more but that's why i don't mind spending more is i want the lifetime warranty.if you don't do what you say i would consider it false advertisement.i went threw all this with a parts place.i bought cv axels & they replaced them 6 times,but on the 7 time they gave my money back.here's the kicker.when i first bought them they cost 300.00 with lifetime warranty.now they are 99.00 a side 198.00 for pair.they gave me my 300.00 back then these idiots sold me a pair for 198.00 with lifetime warranty.it just amazed me how stupid they are

injdinjn
Dec 14th, 12, 10:42 AM
I have a JCP lifetime replacement battery. They have replaced it numerous times.
The word I got from them yesterday is I have to accept a $120 buyout. No way. They made the offer and we have a contract. It's not my problem they made a bad deal. The original battery for this offer was VERY expensive.
And the paperwork has 2 options.
My next step is to ask for their agent of service contact info.

67sc
Dec 16th, 12, 01:35 AM
If there's a signed contract, then it would seem they have to abide by the terms.
Of course, the other side may need a lawyer that costs more than a battery to write a letter.
By being reasonable and walking up the chain of command, I'd guess a new battery would be the result...