427 BBC clutch pad choice [Archive] - Team Camaro Tech

: 427 BBC clutch pad choice

ENP
Dec 17th, 11, 05:30 AM
My 427 BBC is mild nothing radical. Should be around 425-450hp. My tranny is an M22 muncie. I went by the local transmission shop and they sold me a factory replacement clutch disc. On rare occasions I will do a burn out or two, so my driving habits won't be abusive. I went by the local speed shop and they insist I buy a high performance clutch disc (Centerforce, Ram, etc..) Should I stick with the factory replacement or do I need a performance disc. I paid approximately 35$ for the stock replacement. The high performance will cost a lot more. Any suggestions on what I should do.
I will be installing the motor and tranny in a couple weeks.

big gear head
Dec 17th, 11, 06:03 AM
I used a Centerforce DF in my Camaro with a 427 and a M20. I like it very much. The pedal pressure is low enough that my leg doesn't hurt and it has never slipped. It's also very smooth. I also have a Centerforce II in my S10 4X4 and it has worked great for over 100,000 miles, even towing my Camaro many times on a steel trailer. I've seen a lot of the stock replacement clutch discs that chattered a lot when taking off from a stop. The disc in my Mustang is one of them, and it will be replaced with a Centerforce or Spec sometime this winter. A good quality clutch disc will make you much happier.
http://thumb7.webshots.net/t/88/71/3/94/92/2927394920041712107OcsyOr_th.jpg (http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2927394920041712107OcsyOr)
My 427

stroud6
Dec 17th, 11, 06:04 AM
I have a 427 bbc good street motor. Is not a mild build. I have had excellent performance from a centerforce dual friction clutch and presure plate. Low pedal pressure and good clamping power. That said centerforce ram schafer ect ect all have good setups. You just need to figure out how much you want to spend. mark

stroud6
Dec 17th, 11, 06:04 AM
dang freddie we must of been typing at the same time. mark

DT
Dec 17th, 11, 08:07 AM
I used a ZOOM clutch and pressure plate. Very happy with it. Are you just replacing the clutch without the pressure plate????

Skeeter55
Dec 17th, 11, 09:23 AM
I just ordered a Mcleod twin disk kit... A little expensive hope its all good

Lonnie P
Dec 17th, 11, 01:13 PM
I would definitely go with an aftermarket clutch & pressure plate.

Here are a few items to consider.

The Centerforce works pretty well for moderate applications & most will be happy with it.
Under 500hp, you should be fine.

For high rpm, over 6500, you may want to stay away from a diaphragm clutch. Many do not want to shift well at high rpm. Not sure where you are shifting at.

I had a lot of problems with other clutches & stepped up to the Street Twin myself.
I had both a Hays & also a Centerforce & cooked both of them. I could feel them slip on the gear changes, but this was with approx 600hp.

The McLeod Street Twin is a serious clutch.
I went with the B&B/Long style pressure plate to help the high rpm shifting (I shift at 7200rpm), but pedal pressure is very high. I can say it will not slip, but it also grabs pretty agressively just pulling out normally, making you change your driving style. Probably not something you want to drive everyday in traffic.

big gear head
Dec 17th, 11, 02:18 PM
My CF works well at 7000 RPMs. I'm not over 500 HP.