Spark plugs [Archive] - Team Camaro Tech

: Spark plugs

mike shields
May 3rd, 13, 07:35 AM
Wanted to get a little better spark plug Boot clearance from my headers . So the parts store was shoked that I ran Autolite 3924 plugs and sold me Accel 576S Header Plugs. They are a little shorter but have HALF the threads. Seems that they will not go as deep into the heads, So can I use thease Accel plugs? or am I worried for nothing ??

mike shields
May 3rd, 13, 09:04 AM
Sorry about the spelling in my post , any way thanks in advance

67 RS Ragtop
May 3rd, 13, 09:31 AM
If the plugs don't protrude into the combustion area as intended, you don't get the proper flame pattern / complete burn. I would not use, unless they are recommended by the cyl head manufacturer (if you have aftermarket heads). I am sure others will chime in soon. Another concern would be the heat range of the new plug. JMO

mike shields
May 3rd, 13, 10:03 AM
I have Dart heads,plugs are straight,not angled. I told the parts this and my concerns with plugs,says they will work. I just want to be shure. I have some work to do before I am ready to start her up.

mike shields
May 3rd, 13, 06:24 PM
I guess I'll stay with the same plugs that I have been using. I will try and find the build sheet on my motor and Identify what Dart heads I have ,They look like Iron Eagle SS , but I don't remember, it was built in 2005. I was just trying to get better plugs,thanks mike

DOUG G
May 3rd, 13, 06:56 PM
I had same issue with the plug wires and headers....I went with AR series Autolites...shorty plugs ;)

What plugs were you running ?

mike shields
May 3rd, 13, 07:05 PM
Have been useing Autolite #3924 , parts store wants me to try Accel 576S ,but they look wrong to me, and I do not want damage anything.Thanks for the reply

Vintage 68
May 3rd, 13, 07:28 PM
Mike, the Autolite 24 (or 3924) series are 14mm gasketed seat with @.750" "Reach" (or the threaded into head part).
The shorties he sold you sound like the standard Chevy head Tapered seat units that are @.460" - he probably didn't get the whole aftermarket head thingy ;)
Are they tapered or gasketed seal?
It is important to get the correct reach - or you won't get the best combustion or you will get mechanical interference ... :eek:

Be aware Dart changed the spark plug type they used somewhere along the way, as I had a couple Iron heads bought at different times that had different plug holes (both 200 types) - had to find another to get the set to match ...

Google some of the plug manufactures sites and look through their spec.s page(s) for actual discription and measurements for different plug types.

SilverSS1969
May 3rd, 13, 07:35 PM
Depending on the auto store, I wouldnt trust what they tell you. Me and my buddy had a parts counter guy tell us we needed 2 front drive shafts for an 85 Chevy pickup. LoL.

DT
May 3rd, 13, 07:46 PM
You need to contact Dart or look them up on-line. I have Edelbrock Performer RPM heads and they recommend Champion RC12YC. If you look these plugs up youll find them in many lawn mowers, and small engines.

Dave H.
May 3rd, 13, 07:48 PM
Checkout the P526S Accell U-Groove "Shorty" Double Platinum Header Plugs. They are approximately 3/16" shorter. They are a tapered plug with .75" reach. So I've heard.

mike shields
May 3rd, 13, 08:00 PM
OK I found some paperwork on my engine. Dart Performance Pro One Aluminum Heads.64 cc with 200cc Intake runners . 2.02 Intake valves. Exhaust Valves 1.60 .Originaly had AC delco plugs. I will check out Dart on line.Thanks

Bangin' gears
May 3rd, 13, 08:01 PM
I have one plug that is tight on a 1 5/8" Dynatech header tube. I went through a few options searched the net endlessly and this is the best solution I've found:

14mm 3/4 reach, gasket plug same heat range I need:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ngk-4753

Snip the end off your plug wire and thread this cap on:
http://www.ngk.com/product.aspx?zpid=20169
Amazon shows a different pic but it's the right one:
NGK TRS1225 Resistor Spark Plug Cap : Amazon.com : Automotive

Viola about 3/4" of clearance now. The plug cap is a quality unit. It has a threaded "spire" to thread into the plug wire and is completely re-usable.

Check it out!

mike shields
May 3rd, 13, 08:04 PM
SilverSS1969 , I didn't trust the parts sailsman Thats why I came here

mike shields
May 3rd, 13, 08:50 PM
OK I checked out Dart on the web. I found on their speck pages , AUTOLITE AR133 is what they show, man they look like the ACCELL plugs that the want sell me.I am confused..info was found on the Iron Eagle specks

mike shields
May 3rd, 13, 09:52 PM
Bangin Gears , Dynateck headers is what started all this, Now I wonder if i ever ran the right plugs, Oh I do like the headers

Steiner
May 4th, 13, 05:38 AM
NGK BKR6E cross references with your Autolite plug and is a better plug than the Accel in my opinion, and they're about the same length as the shorties.

If you were running 3924's and your heads really called for an AR133 you probably would have busted all of them by now. Better to find out exactly what heads you have.

Bangin' gears
May 4th, 13, 07:58 PM
I ordered most of the plugs that were listed in this thread, (champion, NGK, Autolite, Accel) they are all about the same length to within 1/8" for the gasketed 3/4" reach 14mm variety. Not worth the hassle messing with searching for a shorty plug, none are really short enough. The Iridium stubby plug I listed above is incredibly short and is really the best option IMO. The bad news is you'll spend $80 for the plug and cap and then another $80 just to have spares :-). There are a couple heat ranges but I would be the one I listed would do the majority of N/A applications just fine. Been driving the car around and it's working great. In addition, I added a set of the Summit thermal boots to all the plug wires to increase lifetime. The Dynatech headers are great EXCEPT for plug #5 clearance, I like the headers. I've got the 1 5/8" stepped to 1 3/4", with the stubby plug you could run the 1 3/4 stepped to 1 7/8".

markw
May 4th, 13, 08:36 PM
OK I checked out Dart on the web. I found on their speck pages , AUTOLITE AR133 is what they show, man they look like the ACCELL plugs that the want sell me.I am confused..info was found on the Iron Eagle specks

OK I found some paperwork on my engine. Dart Performance Pro One Aluminum Heads.64 cc with 200cc Intake runners . 2.02 Intake valves. Exhaust Valves 1.60 .Originaly had AC delco plugs. I will check out Dart on line.Thanks

So make up your mind. Do you have Iron Eagles http://www.dartheads.com/products/aitdownloadablefiles/download/aitfile/aitfile_id/113/

or Pro 1's http://www.dartheads.com/products/aitdownloadablefiles/download/aitfile/aitfile_id/104/ ?
They don't take the same plug.

1pacman
May 4th, 13, 09:16 PM
Just contact dart tell them what heads you have they will tell you which plug to use. If you don't have proper reach into combustion can cause several issues.
I just went through that on set angle plug heads guy had been using shorty plugs whic was wrong but when tried putting proper plug in would not seat after some head scratching figured out the plugs where to short of reach caused carbon deposits in threads. Ran thread chaser through it problem solved an vehicle ran better too. Some of the parts house guys don't have a clue if the computer don't tell them what to do they are lost.
Example Local dealer ship didnt have what in stock what i needed so i just went to local chain parts house to pick up some hood supports for a 08 navigator as i paid an was getting ready to leave the parts guy told be to be sure an surface the fly wheel or it would void my warranty. I asked are you serious he said yea it says right here flipped the screen around an showed me. Heck all i could do was laugh an tell the guy ok I would be sure an do that.

mike shields
May 5th, 13, 02:39 AM
I do have PRO 1 heads, call for AR3933 ,Bet will have the same issue , clearance on one plug . The 3924 plugs have caused no problems , so they probably have the right reach. It all started when I changed my headers , with one plug on the drivers side. Thanks for the help, and sorry I did get confused in the heads..

mike shields
May 5th, 13, 03:09 AM
The AR3933 non-Resister , the 3924 resister, both have the same reach.....

mike shields
May 5th, 13, 03:14 AM
Bangin Gears Thanks , I need to learn so much heat range ,resister , non-resiter oh well ! That is what it takes Right!

mike shields
May 5th, 13, 06:09 PM
Well I went with the same plugs Autolite 3924, I have used them since 2005, I did reroute my plug wire and it did give me a little more clearance , hope enough. If it all goes well I might try what other folks say is a better plug.Thanks for the help TC

Bad67355
May 5th, 13, 06:41 PM
I have the same heads dart alum pro1 straight plugs the ar3933 is a really cold plug I also use the 3924 if this seems too hot for your application you can always try the 3926

mike shields
May 5th, 13, 07:02 PM
Ok , how do I know if it is too hot or cold?, motor has 420 hp , I do thank you for the suggestion.

mike shields
May 6th, 13, 02:32 AM
Well had some spare time, did some reserch on hot and cold plugs, interesting , thanks TC

Everett#2390
May 6th, 13, 04:53 AM
As suggested, get the spark plug with the same length of thread as before.

Bad67355
May 6th, 13, 09:03 AM
Ok , how do I know if it is too hot or cold?, motor has 420 hp , I do thank you for the suggestion.

I apoligize i'am not running the 3924 i use the 3926 which is a hotter plug than the 3924 autolite is higher the number hotter the plug.I was fouling plugs pretty bad when i first changed to the dart cylinder heads as stated i also started with the ar3933 that dart suggested which was way too cold,so i switched to regular plugs starting with the 3924 which was still a little on the cold side.I was always told to run the hottest plug you can run without running into detonation so thats what i do maybe some of the other guys can explain to you how to read the plugs which can be a hard thing too do if running pump gas :thumbsup:

mike shields
May 6th, 13, 10:57 AM
Thanks to all, I got it thanks !

Bangin' gears
May 6th, 13, 08:13 PM
Just as an fyi, I picked up another of the stubby plugs, next to it is an AR3910.

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i165/glukey1/20130506_183821_zpsc199affd.jpg (http://s72.photobucket.com/user/glukey1/media/20130506_183821_zpsc199affd.jpg.html)

mike shields
May 6th, 13, 08:29 PM
Great ! good info I am shure it can help many , it shure did help me Thanks, I started the camaro this evening. Open headers ! I love that sound!

mike shields
May 6th, 13, 08:31 PM
What stubby is that?

Bangin' gears
May 7th, 13, 07:59 AM
Links are below; You need the TRS 1225 Cap also but, it's nice in that it is robust and is re-usable if you need to change the plug wire.

14mm 3/4 reach, gasket plug same heat range I need:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ngk-4753

Snip the end off your plug wire and thread this cap on:
http://www.ngk.com/product.aspx?zpid=20169
Amazon shows a different pic but it's the right one:
NGK TRS1225 Resistor Spark Plug Cap : Amazon.com : Automotive
Viola about 3/4" of clearance now. The plug cap is a quality unit. It has a threaded "spire" to thread into the plug wire and is completely re-usable.