KK tripoli turquoise [Archive] - Team Camaro Tech

: KK tripoli turquoise

ctmadbob
Jun 3rd, 13, 05:11 PM
Does anyone have the correct PPG formula for this color in BC/CC paint? I think I can have a scan done of the orig paint but I am worried about how accurate that is going to be. I am getting close to paint on my 68 SS 350 and am worried I will get the color wrong. Just curious, is there a difference between 69' Azure turquoise and 68' Tripoli turquoise? They look very similar to me. :confused:

Thanks, Bob

tjgimp
Jun 5th, 13, 05:50 PM
I'm sorry, I can't help you. But I am curious because I think Tripoli turquoise is a great color. My car was originally that color before I bought it. (When I bought it, it was in white primer and STILL hasn't seen real paint!!!) Hopefully someone can help you out. Here are two great pictures of Tripoli turquoise or what I HOPE is Tripoli turquoise!

http://i921.photobucket.com/albums/ad52/tjgimp/post%20pics/camaro1968WA3761_zpscdf9e9f4.jpg

http://i921.photobucket.com/albums/ad52/tjgimp/post%20pics/turquoise_zpsb6616f9b.jpg

Good luck.

BobKovacs
Jun 6th, 13, 03:26 AM
If those pics are of a Tripoli Turquoise car, it's definitely a different color than Azure Turquoise. My daughter was set on having me paint her car Azure Turquoise, and we looked at tons of pics of cars in that color, and they definitely don't look like the car in the pics above.

fishface
Jun 6th, 13, 03:33 AM
If those pics are of a Tripoli Turquoise car, it's definitely a different color than Azure Turquoise. My daughter was set on having me paint her car Azure Turquoise, and we looked at tons of pics of cars in that color, and they definitely don't look like the car in the pics above.

I have never seen an Azure Turquoise car in person but isnt it real close to Lemans Blue with just a hint of green?

ZLP955
Jun 6th, 13, 03:56 AM
This PPG paint chart for 1968 Chevrolet models indicates 13517.
http://www.tcpglobal.com/autocolorlibrary/chips/1968-chevrolet-pg01.jpg
Looks like 69 Azure Turquoise is PPG 2078:
http://www.tcpglobal.com/autocolorlibrary/chips/1969-chevrolet-pg01.jpg
Note that BC/CC paint systems may appear somewhat different from the original lacquer paints, so probably a good idea to mix a small quantity in your chosen color and shoot some test areas....

BobKovacs
Jun 6th, 13, 04:44 AM
I have never seen an Azure Turquoise car in person but isnt it real close to Lemans Blue with just a hint of green?

I'd say it's quite a bit lighter than Lemans Blue- closer to the Glacier Blue with some green in it.

ctmadbob
Jun 6th, 13, 05:38 AM
Nice car Tim....That is exactly the color mine was originally (I think). I have the black stripe that goes down the door also. I am going to see if the computer at the paint store can come close to that color. Unfortuneately, I have only the paint under the door panel to go by. Previous Earl Shibe 70's paint wasn't even close to the original.

Bob

ZLP955
Jun 6th, 13, 07:54 PM
I have only the paint under the door panel to go by. Previous Earl Shibe 70's paint wasn't even close to the original.
Bob
The area under the door panel may not have had full coverage from the factory, so color-matching from that might throw the paint scanner off; you may be OK, but so many cars just have varying amounts of factory overspray on top of primer....

Sauron67MM
Jun 7th, 13, 04:26 AM
Nice car Tim....That is exactly the color mine was originally (I think). I have the black stripe that goes down the door also. I am going to see if the computer at the paint store can come close to that color. Unfortuneately, I have only the paint under the door panel to go by. Previous Earl Shibe 70's paint wasn't even close to the original.

Bob

A prophet will provide the wrong color if reading the primer showing through. If you want to verify color you need a good sample or find someone with a satisfactory match. Forget about photos or pictures on line, they can't be relied upon for accuracy.

tjgimp
Jun 7th, 13, 12:39 PM
Thanks Scott. The information you share about paint is much appreciated. I'm no where near paint, but I'm constantly looking for certain colors in real life. I want to see a seafrost green and a Tripoli turquoise in person. As I said, I HOPE that car was Tripoli turquoise because it looks great in that light on my computer! Other pics on line (not accurate) are not as nice. Paint is very much a mystery to me!:D Thanks again.

Sauron67MM
Jun 7th, 13, 01:31 PM
Buy a couple half pints and shoot test panels to see which code you prefer.

AutoRodTechnologies
Jun 12th, 13, 06:54 PM
I could check tomorrow if this color is available in pro-spray if you would like..
They are hit and miss on some of the older colors though.

ctmadbob
Jun 13th, 13, 05:07 AM
Well, I went down to the local PPG dealer and he had a formula for that color in I believe Shopline level paint. He mixed up a pint and I asm going to compare to see how close it is. I have my fingers crossed that it will be close!Bob

tjgimp
Jun 13th, 13, 06:12 PM
Please post some pics and let us know how it turns out.

Sauron67MM
Jun 13th, 13, 06:36 PM
You can call the PPG library and see if they have a formula on file in DBC. Jobbers are not always on top of their game. Or try BASF or Sikkens.