: Guldstrand Mod Help!!!
Mar 11th, 00, 01:43 PM
I'm putting the front suspension of my camaro back together this weekend.
I followed the posts I've read on Camaros.net, and used the template for the Guldstrand mod" from DavidPozzi's website (properly resized to 6.5" on centers).
The holes are drilled, the bolts go in, the a-arms go on the bolts, and when I try to lower the a-arms, they hit the tops of the brackets before they are anywhere close to the bumpstops.
It looks like in order to get the clearance, I'd have to cut the entire ears off the bracket, down to the original bolt hole, front and rear bolts. IS IT OK AND SAFE TO REMOVE THIS MUCH? WILL IT HOLD TOGETHER? I'm not road racing or anything, just want to make a solid street '68 ragtop that will perform as well as a new car.
If you get this this weekend, please repond to either firstname.lastname@example.org or Jim@c-doc.com.
[This message has been edited by JimM (edited 03-11-2000).]
Mar 11th, 00, 02:24 PM
Cut it off. You will have to cut a notch in the front and rear braces a little too.
I autocrossed the hell out of my 67 with 10 inch slicks on the front, No problem.
Mar 11th, 00, 02:57 PM
Thanks, David, will do Jim
Mar 12th, 00, 06:38 AM
SUCCESS!!! My bud and I were in the garage til 10 last night, and the drivers side is back together. New poly bushings, new ball joints and tie rods, KYB shocks, Addco 1 1/8 Bar, springs trimmed 1 turn, everything cleaned and painted, and the upper A-Arm mounts relocated according to the famed "Guldstrand Mod." It was real hard for me to drill those holes. My buddy talked me into actually doing it after I explained the camber curve situation. When the A-arms wouldn't move down, I about freaked. David, thank you for your immediate and confidence inspiring response!!!! As a 42 year old gearhead, getting back into this hobby after fifteen years of new cars and wrenches collecting dust, this group is far and away the BEST resource I have ever found for sharing our interest and knowledge of these fine cars!! THANKS TO ALL, Jim
Mar 12th, 00, 07:33 AM
Jim M and davidpozzi,
I am in the same place that Jim M was a couple of days ago. I have drilled the guldstrand holes, replaced the sway bar with a PST 1 1/8 unit, have cleaned, painted and assembled the A-arms with new ball joints, polygraphite bushings. I was working on it about 11 last night, realized that I would have to either grind on the a arms to make them fit over the ears, or cut the bracket ears off entirely. I really don't want to do any grinding on my a arms, so I was wondering how far down I should cut the ears. All the way flush with the bottom of the old holes, through the middle, where? Will I have to cut any off the back mounting hole? I am trying to get it on the ground today, so if anyone could respond I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.
Mar 12th, 00, 08:22 AM
I used a sawzall, and cut the front ear at a 45 deegree angle through the center of the original bolt hole.
The rear wasn't quite as bad, I went at a 30 deegree angle, from the highest point down and back, through the middle of the original hole.
In both cases, I had to do some additional trimming at the highest points (inboard from the holes)
I slipped the a-arm in several times, slid a piece of paper between the arm and the bracket, pushed to arm down and tried to pull the paper out. It took several trims to remove all interference.
Mar 12th, 00, 08:28 AM
The alternative to cutting the top of the mount is to cut the mount off and trim the bottom of the mount about 3/4", then re weld the mount back on.