upper control arm bushings [Archive] - Team Camaro Tech

: upper control arm bushings

Astro350SS
Jan 18th, 01, 04:20 PM
What is the easiest way to remove the old upper and lower control arm bushings on my 68 convertible? ALso what tips are there for installing new bushings(PST Poly bushings)? Thanks in advance.
Bill

*68 5spd Camaro convertible
*69 El Camino
*90 350 Astro conversion van

Astro350SS
Jan 18th, 01, 04:23 PM
Sorry forgot to mention- I already have the control arms off of the car.
Again thanks.
Bill

davidpozzi
Jan 18th, 01, 04:25 PM
A friend of mine removed his uppers by twisting them out with a big pipe wrench on the flange.
The lowers have to be pressed out and use a piece of angle iron to keep the ears of the lower A arm from squashing together.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page (http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/David_Pozzi/)
First Gen Suspension Page (http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/David_Pozzi/first_gen_suspension.htm)
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Can Am Vintage Racer

kevin walsh
Jan 18th, 01, 04:35 PM
An air hammer work great for removal of any pressed bushings from what I've found.

Astro350SS
Jan 18th, 01, 06:35 PM
Ok thanks for the info. I'll try tomarrow and let u know what happens.
Bill.

------------------

kdorsett
Jan 19th, 01, 04:15 AM
When reinstalling the new poly bushings, tap out the center and poly bushing. Lubricate the out bushing shell and it should tap in very easily. Be sure and support the control arm as not to bend it. Re-insert the bushing and center.

An air chisel works great for removing them too.

------------------
68 Camaro SS - In Resto

my69gofast
Jan 19th, 01, 09:34 AM
I agree about using an air chisel... seemed to be the only way I could get them out. The lower ones were kind of tough though...had to start them out by using the chisel on the middle of the bushing shell between the ears of the a-arm. Once they start coming out then you can use it on the lip of the bushing shell to finish.
I installed the lower ones using a long bolt, big washers, and a nut as a homemade pressing tool. I used a socket between the ears to keep them from deforming. I tapped the upper ones in with a hammer using a piece of angle iron for support between the ears of the upper control arm.

pipeman
Jan 19th, 01, 10:59 AM
Just a tip, put your new bushings in the freezer for a couple hrs before installation, it will make the a tad smaller which makes them go in somewhat better.

------------------
69 rallye green X77 Z/28,1967 SS 396 Conv. 1974 c-10 454 swb

Pedro'74
Jan 19th, 01, 11:44 AM
I used a hole saw to remove the strut rod bushings. It was a 2-minute job. I believe the same approach would work with the control arm bushings...

-Pedro

------------------
'74 Corvette Coupe L-48 Automatic (http://home.earthlink.net/~pplt/corvette)

[This message has been edited by Pedro'74 (edited 01-19-2001).]

pdq67
Jan 19th, 01, 02:22 PM
Hey, Pedro'74,

That hole saw idea doesn't sound half bad. Will file it away between my ears if I don't forget which one I stuff it in.

I used a trusty cheap air chisel that worked fine but am always looking for different ways ta do things. Thx. pdq67

my69gofast
Jan 19th, 01, 02:49 PM
I can't really picture how the holesaw idea works. Is it used to remove the soft bushing material, leaving the original metal shells in the control arms? Or is it somehow used to get the whole bushing (including the metal shell) out?

Pedro'74
Jan 19th, 01, 03:12 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by my69gofast:
I can't really picture how the holesaw idea works. Is it used to remove the soft bushing material, leaving the original metal shells in the control arms? Or is it somehow used to get the whole bushing (including the metal shell) out? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The idea would be to use a hole saw of appropriate size to remove the rubber; then replace the rubber, the inner sleeve, and reuse the old metal shell.

-Pedro

------------------
'74 Corvette Coupe L-48 Automatic (http://home.earthlink.net/~pplt/corvette)

my69gofast
Jan 19th, 01, 09:31 PM
I see........thanks Pedro.