How do I install my cam button? [Archive] - Team Camaro Tech

: How do I install my cam button?

1968camaro123
Aug 8th, 02, 09:30 AM
Guys,
I just bought a used pete jackson loud gear drive...It came with all of the gears, bolts, bolt locking plate and a cam button.
How do I put the cam button on? I know where it's suppposed to go but how do I make it stay up there when I put the timing cover on? It came with a little sleeve that I'm pretty sure slides into the hole where the cam button goes?
Also, it came with a "shim?" it's about the size of the diameter of the teeth on the crank sprocket...where does that go?
And last, which side of the idler gear faces out? One side says NOISE in black on it?
Thanks alot,
Donnie

HOTROD69CAMARO
Aug 8th, 02, 10:19 AM
I can only speak of my installation using Comp Cams button with a chain. The button goes in the gear from the back side. So it cant fall out. You put the shims between the button and gear to attain a cam end play of .004 to .010. Gently moveng the cam forward and aft through a lifter hole with a screwdriver to check end plat with a dial indicator.

------------------
Black 69 camaro

1968camaro123
Aug 8th, 02, 10:53 AM
HOTROD- Sorry about my ignorance but I don't see how the button can go behind the cam sprocket...if I put the button behind it, the bolts wouldn't be long enough to hold the sprocket on?
Thanks,
Donnie

HOTROD69CAMARO
Aug 8th, 02, 11:03 AM
Donnie,your instalation must be quite a bit different than a chain. Does Pete Jackson have a tech service line? I know I talked with Comp about my setup a few times.

------------------
Black 69 camaro

1968camaro123
Aug 8th, 02, 11:06 AM
HOTROD-
I'll try and find a number for Pete Jackson...Do you have any idea where that "shim" that I talked about might go?
Thanks alot,
Donnie

stingr69
Aug 8th, 02, 01:23 PM
Shim (copper?)- Maybe behind the cam gear against the block? It has been many years since I installed my PJ gear drive and I don't remember much about the installation. Do you have the flat bolt locking plate for the capscrews? That might be the way the button bearing is retained. The idler assy had a raised, pointed area on the axle that rests on the front block surface to locate the idler in line with the other 2 gears. The flat side of the idler assy faced out. I wish I could be more help but short of pulling my pan and front cover, this is all I can do.

-Mark.

1968camaro123
Aug 9th, 02, 08:52 AM
Guys,
Thanks a million! We got it all put back togther, put in and started it last night! It sounds awesome!
Thanks again,
Donnie

HOTROD69CAMARO
Aug 9th, 02, 09:17 AM
So give us the scoop. What is the correct installation?

------------------
Black 69 camaro

1968camaro123
Aug 9th, 02, 03:20 PM
It was exactly how you guys said...I'm just a retard! The shim ended up going behind the cam sprocket and the idler gear goes with the smooth side out...
Thanks a million guys,
Donnie