T10 shifter problems [Archive] - Team Camaro Tech

: T10 shifter problems

bilydean
Aug 3rd, 01, 07:52 AM
I have a T10 in my 69 that leaks abit of oil. I plan on taking it out and resealing it, but I have another problem that I want to take a look at while it is out. The transmission will shift into reverse, 3rd and 4th easily, but is always difficult to get into 1st and 2nd. What sort of things should I be looking for that could cause this problem. It never pops out of gear. Any suggestions??

Dean

Everett#2390
Aug 3rd, 01, 10:12 AM
Compare the synchro teeth of 1&2 to 3&4 teeth. Probably will fine 1&2 alittle ragged.

Not much you can do, 1. If at a stand still, clutch disengaged, shift to 4th to stop rotation of cluster shaft, then try 1st, 2. Replace trans oil with Redline MTL fluid, 3. Remove trans, replace synchro rings, bearings, gaskets, shim it for proper clearances, re-install transmission.

Muncies and T-10 were well known to leak oil.

Everett

oger
Aug 3rd, 01, 10:22 AM
Change the bushings in the shifter and make sure the adjustments are perfect. Normally your problems are shifter related 3rd 4th gets a much more serious pounding than 1st 2nd especially the 1st gear syncro it really has no reason to go bad.

bilydean
Aug 3rd, 01, 12:21 PM
Thanks guys. I will take a look at the shifter adjustment this weekend.

Dean

big gear head
Aug 3rd, 01, 01:16 PM
I just fixed a super T-10 that was doing the very same thing. The syncro hub was worn and the teeth on second gear were in bad shape. I had already replaced the slider and blocker rings, but it didn't help. I replaced the complete syncro assymbly and second gear and it is fixed now.

------------------
'69 RS/SS396 pro street
427/4spd/9"
Byars Performance
High Performance Drive Train Parts And Service
www.lubedealer.com/biggearhead (http://www.lubedealer.com/biggearhead)

oger
Aug 3rd, 01, 01:51 PM
big gear head what did the rest of the trans look like? Someone must have been doing some serious 1st and 2nd gear thrashing.

bilydean
Aug 3rd, 01, 02:10 PM
Big gear head, what does a repair like that run?

Dean

novaderrik
Aug 3rd, 01, 11:33 PM
i have a similar problem with my aluminumT-10(not a super). it upshifts great, but to get it to easily downshift into 2nd, i need to put it into 1st, then pull it to 2nd. if i play with the throttle and downshift without using the clutch, it goes smooth as silk.I find that to be the fun way to drive-not using the clutch. if done right, is it necessarily bad?right now, i only use the clutch for starting off and going into reverse..

------------------
1971 Nova(looks like 69 camaro from underneath!)
355sb, vortec heads, HOT cam,T-10 tranny, 3.70 gears 16" IROC wheels

big gear head
Aug 4th, 01, 06:14 AM
The transmission had been in a drag car for many years and someone had been changing parts in it to try and get it shifting quicker. They had put Muncie sliders in it and messed up some other things. The 1ts-2nd syncro hub was worn, but otherwise it was in good shape. The first time I had it apart I just put in new bearings, blocker rings and sliders. It still didn't shift into second very good, but the owner wanted to drive it that way for a while. By the time I got it out again he had completely ruined the syncro teeth on second gear, so I had to replace it along with the syncro assymbly. This T-10 was one of the early Super T-10s with a 24 tooth second gear. They were later replaced with a 25 tooth gear. I had a hard time finding a 24 tooth gear and it cost more too. The gear was about $175 and the syncro assymbly was about $120. The 25 tooth gear is about $25 cheaper. novaderrik,
I think shifting without the clutch causes the blocker rings to have to work harder than they should. I'd say if you replaced the blocker rings in your transmission it would down shift fine. I had the same problem with a T-5 and the new blocker rings fixed it.

------------------
'69 RS/SS396 pro street
427/4spd/9"
Byars Performance
High Performance Drive Train Parts And Service
www.lubedealer.com/biggearhead (http://www.lubedealer.com/biggearhead)