I installed an Overdrive - TH 200-4R in my 68 [Archive] - Team Camaro Tech

: I installed an Overdrive - TH 200-4R in my 68

68.camaro
Jul 18th, 01, 05:17 AM
I know this is mostly for questions, but I thought I would tell you about a recent change I did. I pulled my TH 350 from my 68 Camaro and installed a TH 200-4R. This install took me about 8 hours from driving it on the lift to driving it off the lift. I have the lock up torque converter working with a small amount of rewiring within the transmission which I did when I rebuilt the transmission. I ran a 12 volt switched voltage wire to the transmission for lock up, and the torque converter will only lock up in overdrive. I used a TH 400 crossmember for the transmission crossmember. I DID have to modify the TH 400 crossmember about 3/8 of an inch to get the crossmember to bolt to the tranny. This was probably the most difficult part. I did NOTHING to the driveshaft at all. The slip yoke is the same spline as the 200 and the same length. The TV cable (upshift/downshift cable) snapped right into a nice little adjustable bracket I got from the chrome area of the local parts store. The TV adjustment is REALLY easy. Move it back and get harder higher up-shifts...move it forward and get softer easier up-shifts. The tranny shifts at 10mph, 22mph, and 35mph during a normal/mild acceleration. I love the gas mileage increase since I am running 3.73 gears in the rear. The reason I am writing this is I see many 700R4 articles but not many 200-4R articles. And as easy as this tranny is to install I don't know why more don't use the 200. And if you are worried about handling your horsepower there are a couple of piece to purchase from GM that came in the Grand National 200-4R tranny to beef it up. Or you can purchase ones already built that should withstand 400+ horses.

Steve
68 SS Ragtop

Barry H
Jul 18th, 01, 05:41 AM
Steve,

I want to do the same with my 67 convertible. It now has the original PG, but I'm revving some ungodly numbers at cruising speeds with my 4.10's. I got a price of around 3K from a reputable shop, I was wondering if you would tell us what $$$ you had in it approximately and what model car did you get the 200 out of? I heard that the 200's out of the GN's are built stronger. I have a mild 350 with around 375-400 HP. This would be perfect for my application, but 3K is alot. I could do the grunt work, and I have contacts for the rebuilding part. Any info. you have would be most appreciated. Thanks. Barry

------------------
Barry Holland
1967 RS/SS Convertible
Red w/White top and Interior
355 w/ 280H Comp Cam, 10.2-1, 291's, 750 VS Holley
PowerGlide w/ 2500 stall
4.10 12 bolt posi

oger
Jul 18th, 01, 09:25 AM
I have a guestion also what are good cores I mean ones that you can get not GNs or SSs I don't care if it upshifts at 4500 both of my cars have stock 350 turbo gov and that is where they shift. Will the 350 shifter work I don't care if I see 1st gear or not they won't be manually shifted. A friend of mine has an SS and the converter seems like it would be fine for my combos. What converter did you use? Any info would really be appreciated. thanks

67ss350camaro
Jul 18th, 01, 09:32 AM
Hi all,
I did mine a year ago April. I bought the trans from a place in TX called phoenix. Here is there web site: www.phoenixtrans.com (http://www.phoenixtrans.com)
They were great to work with and it is built solid. You might want to check them out. I have got about $1300.00 in the swap. I did all the work myself.
Daniel

------------------
67 RS/SS 350 2004R (owned since 81)
97 V6 5-speed Coupe (work car ordered new)
My Camaro (http://dakcoffman.homestead.com/)

czar
Jul 18th, 01, 10:06 AM
68',

good info as i'm looking into an od next year! thanks!

Tom Mobley
Jul 18th, 01, 10:09 PM
$3K? Yikes, are these guys headed for a vacation in Hawaii or what? I've seen several around here in Phoenix, Az that were $800 for tranny, $400 for install. Jeez. You don't need a bunch of fancy (expensive) internal hard parts for the HP level you talking about.

Tom

68.camaro
Jul 19th, 01, 03:50 AM
Barry,
I was at some high rpms too with 3.73's. 3400 rpm at 60mph is bad on the gas, but 2050 rpm at 60mph is more like it! $3k is WAY TOO MUCH! Go to phoenix trans that 67ss was talking about if you want to get one already done...$1300 is not bad. I pulled mine from a Monte Carlo. GM produced the 200 from 1982 to 1990. These transmissions were installed in numerious vehicles like: Buick Electra, LeSabre, Regal, Grand National, Chevy Monte Carlo, Impala, Caprice, and Olsmobile Cutlass. I have $700 in the install...this includes getting the tranny (got a good deal), the rebuild kit, torque converter, TV cable, shifter plate, and all other needed parts. I went to the local parts store for the torque converter (ask for a converter for a 85 Monte Carlo).

oger,
There is a kit I bought from Rick's 1st gen to mod the shifter linkage and tranny linkage...I think it was $80. It's a nice kit and comes with instructions. Rick also sells the new lense for the gear selector for the horseshoe shifter ($15).

As another side note. Chevy High Performance is who pumped me up to do this swap. They printed all the articles to do the swap myself. From rewiring the lock up torque converter, adjusting the TV cable, to using the TH400 crossmember. This is by far one of the best resources for 1st gen Camaro technical articles!! Also excellent for GM A body vehicles too!

68.camaro
Jul 19th, 01, 03:53 AM
Look at the Buicks or Olds...my second 200-4R I pulled from a Buick, and both of the 200's I have are universal fit...Chevy and BOP!

choptop
Jul 19th, 01, 03:58 AM
Wow, I have been wrestling with this issue for about a year (since I got my '68)!

I really need to swap my TH400 and get a 200R! I was considering the 700R but not anymore http://www.camaros.net/forum/biggrin.gif.

Thanks for the info!

------------------
See my '68 RS/ZZ4 at http://www.100megsfree.com/choptop/camaro.html

68.camaro
Jul 19th, 01, 08:19 AM
You will need to get a new slip yoke, one from a PG or TH350, for your driveshaft since you have a TH400. Otherwise your set.

DjD
Jul 19th, 01, 08:33 AM
The 4 speed conversion for the horse shoe shifter is made by www.shiftworks.com (http://www.shiftworks.com) and several places sell it. It is susposed to come with the new lense for the shifter. If you get it direct from Shift Works it's $85 for everything.

$900 - $1200 seems to be the going price for a some what better than stock rebuilt 700r4 around here. That doesn't include installation but should get you a converter, TV cable and dipstick along with the tranny...

------------------
...Dennis
'69 RS Convertible w/SS trim (http://www.camaroslimited.com/memberscars/den.htm)
'96 Z28SS #1679 of 2410 (http://www.camaroslimited.com/graphics/memcars/96ss.jpg)
"The Club" (http://camaroslimited.com)

czar
Jul 21st, 01, 10:12 AM
thanks djd....i'm gonna go with that!!

Ken67SSRS
Jul 23rd, 01, 05:21 AM
I hope to put in a 200r as well (67), but am holding off for now. I have a column shift and would like to keep it...but am not sure how the trans should hook up. Any ideas?

68.camaro
Jul 23rd, 01, 01:06 PM
I'm not sure for the column shifter. The horseshoe shifter uses a cable so it's pretty easy even to fabricate. If the column uses the cable also you could probably use the same kit. Shift Works may also have a kit for the column if it is different.

intryman
Jul 23rd, 01, 03:56 PM
[QUOTETom, What mods do you think would be needed for a 2004R for a 383 producing 450h and 486 ft. lbs. torque for a strictly street car with 3.73 gears. I have talked to WE4 and I know he has a excellent reputation but as usual money enters the picture. Maybe the only way is with his street kiler trans. Any ideas or suggestions. Thanks

Stingry
Oct 4th, 13, 12:02 PM
I know this is mostly for questions, but I thought I would tell you about a recent change I did. I pulled my TH 350 from my 68 Camaro and installed a TH 200-4R. This install took me about 8 hours from driving it on the lift to driving it off the lift. I have the lock up torque converter working with a small amount of rewiring within the transmission which I did when I rebuilt the transmission. I ran a 12 volt switched voltage wire to the transmission for lock up, and the torque converter will only lock up in overdrive. I used a TH 400 crossmember for the transmission crossmember. I DID have to modify the TH 400 crossmember about 3/8 of an inch to get the crossmember to bolt to the tranny. This was probably the most difficult part. I did NOTHING to the driveshaft at all. The slip yoke is the same spline as the 200 and the same length. The TV cable (upshift/downshift cable) snapped right into a nice little adjustable bracket I got from the chrome area of the local parts store. The TV adjustment is REALLY easy. Move it back and get harder higher up-shifts...move it forward and get softer easier up-shifts. The tranny shifts at 10mph, 22mph, and 35mph during a normal/mild acceleration. I love the gas mileage increase since I am running 3.73 gears in the rear. The reason I am writing this is I see many 700R4 articles but not many 200-4R articles. And as easy as this tranny is to install I don't know why more don't use the 200. And if you are worried about handling your horsepower there are a couple of piece to purchase from GM that came in the Grand National 200-4R tranny to beef it up. Or you can purchase ones already built that should withstand 400+ horses.

Steve
68 SS Ragtop

Hi Steve,

What did you do to modify the 400 cross member? Looking at same option.

Pete