Engine Miss Fire. Distributor? [Archive] - Team Camaro Tech

: Engine Miss Fire. Distributor?

JefeOsterhead
Apr 8th, 03, 08:34 AM
Having just finished suspension upgrades I got ready to take her out on the road for some tests. When I started the engine I proceeded to check the timing after warm-up.
I set the inital and then had it rev'd to 2000 to check the mechanical adv. Every so often the #1 cylinder would miss (not fire a spark) and cause a corresponding engine hickup. I will check the other cylinders today.
I'm wondering what could cause this? I know I need new wires, but what would cause the miss? Is it the distributor, cap, coil? It is a stock points dist with accel coil and accel wires. Timing is 36 degress total at 2000rpm, 12 inital.

Jeff

DjD
Apr 8th, 03, 09:09 AM
It could be a dirty contact in the cap, the wire could be cracked and shorting when that plug fires, the plug itself could be cracked and shorting too. Even a dirty or mis-gapped plug will cause a mis... Start with the simple things, unless you just replaced them a new cap, rotor, plugs and wires are good to have and I wouldn't call it throwing money at the problem...

JefeOsterhead
Apr 9th, 03, 06:21 AM
I tested the other cylinders last night and could not pinpoint anything. I could hear the problem (when my brother revs it up) but could not find it. Also, on #1 I realized that the problem is not that #1 DOESN'T fire, its that it sometimes fires WAY retarded. This happens maybe 1:20 plug fires. Does this change my situation? I know this is serious (more than not fireing) because this could cause detonation.
I am going to try the cap and wires as Dennis you suggested. My plugs are new also.
Jeff

DjD
Apr 9th, 03, 08:33 AM
Leaning more toward bad wires from your last post but replace the cap and rotor too. Don't rule out a cracked plug just because they are new. As guys we often don't have that gentle touch and just banging a wrench against a plug could crack it. I'm speaking from experience on this one.

You might be able to lift your hood in a dark place and actually see sparks around the wires or plugs with the engine running. A dark place isn't in the garage with the doors closed and lights out :D but does need to be dark (no street lights)

Silver69Camaro
Apr 9th, 03, 09:19 AM
Do a compression test.

I had a periodic misfire in my Truck (SBC), turned out to be a bad head gasket.
Not trying to scare you or anything...

JefeOsterhead
Apr 12th, 03, 06:36 AM
Hey all,
I changed the cap, rotor, and points and so far so good. I've got new heads to put on so I plan on pulling the engine sometime when I get some more money to buy rockers and redoing it anyway.
Silver69Camaro, lets say my head gasket is bad. What are the downs of not changing it right off the bat? I don't drive the car hard (yet anyway cause of my rockers).
Djd, I have seen the plugs fire at night (it's neat). Also, when I get the $$$ I'm going to new wires. Anyone like moroso, or Taylor?
jeff

DjD
Apr 12th, 03, 11:14 AM
Just get a set of stock replacement wires to hold you over if the ones you have are shot. The light show looks cool but it's a problem and even if the engine doesn't seem to mis it won't be running at it's best.

JefeOsterhead
Apr 15th, 03, 06:25 AM
What is the problem with the light show? I haven't checked for it in a while so I don't know if it still does or not. The car still is jerky when it is crusing. Could this be that I'm too rich?
Jeff

DjD
Apr 15th, 03, 07:36 AM
The light show means not all the spark is getting to the plug.. That would effect how the engine runs... Also it is a saftey issue. It could ignite gas fumes that build up under the hood (can you say explosion) or ignite a fire if gas or oil is leaked anywhere near it!!

JefeOsterhead
Apr 15th, 03, 11:00 AM
Ahhh, what is the cure?
Jeff

Marky_24
Apr 15th, 03, 01:13 PM
does it seem really jerky under load? if so i bet its you wires. my car was missed once and a while, but under load it was like riding steem train. changed the wires and all is good now.

DjD
Apr 15th, 03, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by JefeOsterhead:
Ahhh, what is the cure?
Jeff Proper fitting plug boots on good condition plug wires and occasionally a new spark plug when an insulator on a spark plug gets cracked as it will cause the light show as well...

JefeOsterhead
Apr 23rd, 03, 07:14 AM
Finally... I am expecting my plug wires today. I got Moroso blue max.
I'll let you all know how it goes.

Jeff

JefeOsterhead
Apr 23rd, 03, 06:27 PM
Well, got the wires and all... Didn't realize how much of a pain the right angle boots would be to cut and fit myself. I've only got 3 done. Am I doing something wrong? I'm lubing um and then trying to pull the end to be crimped through the right angle boot to be crimped, but it's rediculously hard.
More importantly, I've tested the 3 with a test light and they DON'T conduct. I tested my old wires as well and they didn't either. Is this normal? They are Moroso Blue max with 800ohms resistance/foot.

Anyway, I'll try again tomorrow.
(Who knew a muscle car could require so much muscle...)
Jeff

Silver69Camaro
Apr 23rd, 03, 06:31 PM
No conduction?

Strange. I don't want to point the finger, but I think you're doing something wrong, not sure what though...

JefeOsterhead
Apr 23rd, 03, 06:39 PM
I'm sure I'm doing something wrong.
I think I'm going to get an ohm meter tomorrow, I need one anyway.
Jeff

JefeOsterhead
Apr 24th, 03, 01:27 PM
Well... Regardless of the test light working test, the car runs well. I guess the 800ohms are causing it to not turn the light on, (in combination with the 12volts I tested with instead of 40,000).
My timing light shows cylinders missing still.
I will never know, I'm going to compare it to another person's light.

Thanks for all the info,
Jeff