Removing side-post battery bolt [Archive] - Team Camaro Tech

: Removing side-post battery bolt

vetsac
Dec 16th, 04, 07:11 PM
Hi, I'm working on a 2000 Camaro V6 and need to replace the factory bolt on the red (+) battery cable (for the GM-standard side-post battery of course). I'm replacing the bolt with an adapter that allows an external audio amplifier to be connected to the battery (the replacement bolt has two ends: one end connects the cable to the battery; the other end allows the amp's ring terminal to connect to it).

Only thing is, from looking at the factory bolt in the (+) cable's plastic housing, I can't figure out how to get that bolt out! I've found no hints in Googling for it, and my Haynes Camaro Repair Manual only goes so far as to discuss how to replace the battery, not the actual battery bolt in the cable.

I'd appreciate any help you can pass along!
Thanks!
-Vetsac

69CamaroRacer
Dec 16th, 04, 08:26 PM
it should be an 8mm socket that goes over it. It should come out pretty easy. If it is stuck you can try and ues vice grips but be very careful cause you can strip that bolt off.

sdtsdt
Dec 17th, 04, 03:43 AM
Look at the bolt holder closely. The plastic/rubber enclosing the bolt should be flexible enough that you can bend it slightly and sort of walk the edges of the bolt from under it. At least that is the way it was on the older side-mount battery posts...

vetsac
Dec 17th, 04, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by sdtsdt:
Look at the bolt holder closely. The plastic/rubber enclosing the bolt should be flexible enough that you can bend it slightly and sort of walk the edges of the bolt from under it.sdtsdt,

Yep that was it. Now that I knew what to look for after inspecting it again, I was able to just flex that rubber enclosing enough to walk the factory bolt out and replace it with the new one. Thanks again for the tip! smile.gif