How to install a 2 post auto lift? [Archive] - Team Camaro Tech

: How to install a 2 post auto lift?

shockers69
Nov 23rd, 03, 03:49 AM
I just bought a Rotary brand 2 post lift model spoa88 and i am going to try to install it myself my main question is would you put it together meaning bolting the two verticle large sides to the small horizional piece on top and then standing it up and getting it where you want it and install the concrete wedge bolts?

Kyvox
Nov 23rd, 03, 04:01 AM
I wouldn't do it that way. Too much weight to lift and coordinate at the same time.

shockers69
Nov 23rd, 03, 05:05 AM
yeah Kyvox your right since i am putting this in the corner of my 40x60 and i need the most room to get car square with the lift what would be the minunm measurement from the front of the lift to the wall to access front of vehicle?It is a Asymmetric design 7000 lb.lift

Gary Dorion
Nov 23rd, 03, 06:40 PM
I ordered a 4 post lift as I feel that it is more stable, also you don't need to bolt it to the floor unless you want to. My brother has a 4 post lift for 2 years now not bolted to the floor with NO problems, FYI.

davidpozzi
Nov 23rd, 03, 07:56 PM
I'd bring a tape measure to a couple of local shops and see how they are set up.
I need to figure out the same thing, I want to get a two post asymetrical lift for my shop too.
I want to allow room in front for a workbench or table and enough room to walk around the car or pickup I may have on the hoist.
David

Bassman
Nov 24th, 03, 03:51 AM
Measure Twice..Drill Once

First, measure the beam that connects the two parts of the lift at the top. Then lay out everything on the floor, making sure the feet of the two post are on the same plane as the top of the lift. Use a chaulkline to mark the location of the foot of each post on the floor. Everything must be square and plumb. Mark a centerline. Stand the posts up one at a time, aligning the feet with chaulkline marks. Once stood up, drill your holes, mine used a 3/4 inch masonry bit. Drill deep enough to accept your bolts. You may have to shim to get each post vertical. Tighten to correct torque, then install the center support bar.

Branded
Nov 24th, 03, 05:32 AM
Shocker
I have the same lift that you bought in my garage. The post are set 13' back from the front wall. This gives plenty of working room in front of the vehicle with a workbench.

JohnZ
Nov 26th, 03, 03:07 PM
I hope you have at least 8" of concrete with plenty of re-rod in it (not just mesh), and some Hilti anchors at least that long; asymmetrical lifts generate an enormous cantilevered load on the floor on the short side of the lift. :eek:

Branded
Nov 26th, 03, 03:34 PM
Rotary salesman recommended a minimum of 6 in. when installing a 7,000lb. lift. I thought that the reason for the posts being set the way they are on the asymetrics where to egualize the load.

mjs-13
Nov 27th, 03, 07:56 AM
You might consider speaking with the Rotary dealer who sold you the lift. The installed price for my 2 post lift was only $200 more than the out the door price with me installing the lift. It was money well spent.

We have a Rotary dealer here in Tennessee with an impecable record. Another reason I bought Rotary and a new lift with the 5 year warranty. I found that when I was looking, the used lifts I found were not that much cheaper and I had to install. $1,000 total difference was enough money to buy used and install. Most used lifts were rough.

I am sure there is a reason you did not buy the dealer installation, but I "might" reconsider that decision.

By the way, the two post lift is the way to go if you intend to "work" on your cars with this lift, not store cars. If storage is a consideration, a 4 post is better. For service and working, nothing beats a 2 post. Go see most any commercial auto service business and see what they use!

Mike

shockers69
Nov 27th, 03, 11:27 AM
I just finished installing my lift yesterday,I called Rotary's 800 number and they faxed me the installation manual but it was a job. I would not have tried it without my tractor and frontend loader.I have not tried lifting a car yet but it goes up and down real well.I am going to have to back my vehicles into it untill i cut a 10'x10'door in the back of my shop

yellow69RS
Sep 22nd, 08, 05:17 PM
Rotary salesman recommended a minimum of 6 in. when installing a 7,000lb. lift. I thought that the reason for the posts being set the way they are on the asymetrics where to equalize the load.
I thought it was to make it easier to open the door with the car on the lift. I have had to reposition cars to put weight on the back legs so you idea has merit also.

Jeff

clwilcox33
Sep 23rd, 08, 08:32 AM
This is a FIVE year old post being replied to. Let's try not to bump really old threads. I'm sure in 5 years he has figured out where and how to put his lift in. ;)

Al
Oct 6th, 08, 05:03 PM
Most likely this was either an automated bot post or a search and reply for topics to their product.
Look for more of these in the future as it's the "new wave" of spam.

thanks for reporting this Jeff.

JWA
Oct 7th, 08, 05:49 AM
Anytime http://bestsmileys.com/shooting1/20.gif http://bestsmileys.com/spam/1.gif :D

clwilcox33
Oct 7th, 08, 02:01 PM
Jeff must be after my job :D Good job noticing it for what is was J. :)

JWA
Oct 7th, 08, 07:07 PM
Nah, I am busy enough on the other TC :D I just happen to notice this because of hunting them down over there. I think I have almost hit my bag limit for the year :D