How do you set the miles back on the speedometer? [Archive] - Team Camaro Tech

: How do you set the miles back on the speedometer?

garfield
Jul 29th, 04, 12:50 AM
I didn't quite know where to put this, so I placed it here. (Admin) If this is inappropriate, please move it to the correct forum smile.gif

After waiting for almost an entire year, this weekend I should finally have my car back. With a fresh engine installed, I would really like to roll the miles on the speedometer back to zero so in the future I'll know exactly how many miles I've place on it. If my mechanic forgot to do it, I will try and do it myself (provided that its legal). If so, how do I go about doing this?

[ 07-29-2004, 05:20 AM: Message edited by: garfield ]

Jul 29th, 04, 02:27 AM
I'm sure mileage tampering is illegal in all state. What about buying a new one?

69ProTouring
Jul 29th, 04, 03:00 AM
Instead of rolling back, why not go forward to 100,000 (basically 0 again), that doesn't sound as illegal. lol Hook up a cordless drill to the speedo cable and go to town.

HwyStarJoe
Jul 29th, 04, 03:08 AM
It can be done, but you have to remove the speedo from the dash and get to the number wheels themselves. Rolling it back with a drill would take days and days.

It's not easy.... I know! They have to be moved in a certain order in the right directions.
In NY, there's no title for a car older than '75 so there's really nowhere that mileage is shown on registration docs. Once the car get's over a certain numbers of miles, a title will only show "...in excess of XXXXXX miles...." anyway.

Since I won't have a title, and the car is being rebuilt 100% from scratch like the factory, I put mine back to zero. Like it or not.

garfield
Jul 29th, 04, 03:17 AM
Originally posted by 69:
I'm sure mileage tampering is illegal in all state. What about buying a new one? This is one that I'm considering. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2485725268 I just shot the seller an e-mail asking if he/she had the ability to set the milage back to zero prior to selling. If they respond I'll post back and let you all know what they said.

67 Plum
Jul 29th, 04, 03:25 AM
Must not be to hard used car lots did it alot in the 70s and 80s.It is against the law to tamper with the miles.But I think this is aimed at car lots and people trying to sell late model cars as low milage.I have seen a few restorations with NOS speedos with 0 miles. Same thing as far I can see.

show
Jul 29th, 04, 03:36 AM
On the title....at least in Michigan...are 3 check boxes for 1-actual mileage 2-not actual mileage 3-exceeds mechanical limit of odometer....just make sure you check the right box if you sell it and shouldn't be accused of trying to defraud anyone

68RSZEE
Jul 29th, 04, 03:56 AM
You pull the speedo out, remove clip holding number wheels to assembly. Note the "tangs" are lined up on a strip of metal. You hold the wheel that shows each mile (way to the right)and turn the wheel to the left of it till it shows what you want. Then hold that wheel and rotate the next wheel to the left till you get your desired reading. Move though the whole cylinder and then load it back into the speedo assembly with the tangs locked into the metal strip as before and put the clip back on. Newer cars (I forget the year) have the whole asembly incased in plastic to prevent tampering. Oh yeah, wash your hands before you grab the number wheels. Nothing like greasy finger prints on your "low milage car" 8^).

69ProTouring
Jul 29th, 04, 08:17 AM
The drill trick is how guys do snowmobile odometers, I've never messed with an automotive odometer.

HwyStarJoe
Jul 29th, 04, 08:21 AM
I tried it and wore a cordless drill battery down to nothing..... the numbers barely moved. It just doesn't spin fast enough. I'm sure it'd work eventually but doing it manually only takes 15 minutes.

Now, if you could hook a vacuum cleaner motor up to the speedo cable.... :cool:

choptop
Jul 29th, 04, 08:40 AM
Down here (Texas) vehicles over a certain age are mileage exempt (meaning the vehicle likely has mileage in excess of mechanical limits) and is clearly marked as such on the title. My assumption is that if the title is exempt from mileage then it legally makes no difference what the odometer says- so long as you do not misrepresent the odometer reading when sold.

I had to replace the spedo on my Harley years back- the new one had all zeros. When I sold the bike I gave the new owner the old spedo to prove how many miles the bike had before it broke.

shoddy_F-body
Jul 29th, 04, 08:46 AM
Its easy to do once you take the speedo apart. I bought a nice used cluster to replace my broken up original and i spun the mileage around to match my original odometer reading.Cant see how thats illegal.

garfield
Jul 29th, 04, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by 68RSZEE:
You pull the speedo out, remove clip holding number wheels to assembly. Note the "tangs" are lined up on a strip of metal. You hold the wheel that shows each mile (way to the right)and turn the wheel to the left of it till it shows what you want. Then hold that wheel and rotate the next wheel to the left till you get your desired reading. Move though the whole cylinder and then load it back into the speedo assembly with the tangs locked into the metal strip as before and put the clip back on. Newer cars (I forget the year) have the whole asembly incased in plastic to prevent tampering. Oh yeah, wash your hands before you grab the number wheels. Nothing like greasy finger prints on your "low milage car" 8^). I'm gonna keep this in mind....Thanks!

Eric68
Jul 29th, 04, 02:55 PM
Hey Show -- noticed you are here in GR. Ever go to C's, Gemmens, Dairy Ranch, etc?

Geezer
Jul 30th, 04, 04:52 AM
Once you have the speedometer out and on the bench, itís about a 5 minute job to move the numbers. But while you have it out you might as well spent a little more time and clean and lube it. Donít try to clean the number roll! Iíve wiped the paint off the numbers with dish soap and water on a soft toothbrush, and WD40 will dissolve the paint instantly and the same applies to the face.

Scoop69RS-SS
Jul 30th, 04, 06:03 AM
So Scott, when you say you do four thousand mile weekends riding, maybe I shouldn't believe you?
tongue.gif
:D

69ProTouring
Jul 30th, 04, 08:44 AM
LOL, I KNEW you'd respond!! Sled guys all think alike. But honestly, 60 ~ 70 miles a day in the mountains is a big day. :D

DOUG G
Jul 31st, 04, 02:29 AM
Md. Has simular "check boxes" on title. The odometer in mine was replaced way before I bought the car. I think mine was chcked as being replaced and not actual miles... or something like that.