What Cam Is This? Number 221508? [Archive] - Team Camaro Tech

: What Cam Is This? Number 221508?

mark67ss
May 4th, 05, 03:59 AM
OK,

Got the cam out(STUPID FUEL PUMP!!!) But want to know what cam I have. The only markings on the back of the cam are 221508 Thats it. Also a light tan dot but other than that...nothing. How do I determine what cam this is OR what manufacturer made it? Any help would be appreciated. It came out of a goodwrench 350 chevy but it definately does not sound stock.

Thanks
Mark
TOOFUN

mark67ss
May 4th, 05, 07:46 AM
SOMEBODYS gotta know!!....anyone? bueller? bueller? anyone

Vintage 68
May 4th, 05, 08:32 AM
Don't have a clue... :confused:

The number looks like an Iskenderian number and they stamped theirs on the end - but , I 'googled' it just to see and got nothing...
Maybe a special grind for a retailer (summit,paw or ???) - you might try calling Isky and see if they can ID.

mark67ss
May 4th, 05, 11:05 AM
Not an ISKY. Called and they said unless it has their name on it, it would not be theirs. Thanks for the try. This must be a tough one. I havent been able to find anyone who can answer it. Even called a GM dealership and asked them to look it up. They said it wasnt theirs either because it was missing some digits. It is a very new cam, so nothing has worn off of it. I looked over it very very carefully and no other markings on the back or front. There is a D 8 on it between two lobes then a 1539 further down between two lobes and finally a 26 at the other end between two more lobes!!

sicsD8
May 4th, 05, 11:17 AM
Lots of off-brand cams these days being made for companies like jegs, PAW, summit etc. May be tough to track down.

mark67ss
May 4th, 05, 12:06 PM
Called Jegs, summit, paw, crane, comp cams, isky, lunati(holley), edelbrock. Just about anyone and everyone. ALL say the same thing. If it doesnt have our name on it it isnt our cam!! Not a damn number on it!! so let me try this approach. Does anyone know the stock grind number for a GM GOODWRENCH 350 motor? At least that way I can eliminate the fact that it is not stock.

Mark

mark67ss
May 4th, 05, 01:16 PM
LOOKED AGAIN AND FOUND THIS BETWEEN THE LOBES CWC 1539 Does this help?

mark

Silver69Camaro
May 4th, 05, 01:24 PM
The only thing you can do it stab it back into the motor, set up a dial indicator and wheel, and find out the specs. Who cares who made it? All that is really important is the duration, lift, and LDA. You can find those out fairly easily.

GOSFAST
May 4th, 05, 01:31 PM
That's the type of the numbering system that GM set up with CMC (Camshaft Machine Co.) for the cams that went into their products. I have no (specific) info with those numbers anymore, but that's what it looks like! They closed about 15 years ago, and made the cams available through the Wolverine/Blue-Racer line, but used an entirely different numbering system. And as far as I know there never was an interchange system set up. Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

mark67ss
May 4th, 05, 04:38 PM
So is it safe to say that this is a stock cam application?

pdq67
May 4th, 05, 07:57 PM
My Elgin, Clevite, old G/K, Melling, TRW and old WBR listings don't list a number like that so can't help???

I figure that number is actually 221-1508

Melling lists 221XX and Clevite 229-XXXX

Sorry,

pdq67

GOSFAST
May 5th, 05, 05:12 AM
The Camshaft Machine Co. numbers were either/or, in other words the stock and the performance cams used the same numbering system, just had different numbers. If it's one of theirs, it could be either. If I come across their old catalog I will get back later. Thanks, Gary.

mark67ss
May 5th, 05, 05:25 AM
Hello Gary,

Thanks I really would appreciate it!!

Mark

mark67ss
May 5th, 05, 05:47 AM
Cant help myself, once I lock my mind to something I cant break away from it until I figure it out.... On that note, found the CAMSHAFT MACHINE COMPANY after searching numerous other search engines with no success on DOGPILE.COM LOVE THAT SEARCH ENGINE!! Anyways, called them and they punched in the six digits and TADAAAA!! IT CAME UP!!! They are faxing over the specs today so should have them soon. Just in case anyone else ever runs into this problem, I have posted their contact info below.

Camshaft Machine Co.
Firm Type: Private Company, Headquarters Location
Address: 717 Woodworth Rd.
City / State / Zip: Jackson MI 49202-1654
Main Phone: 517 787-2040

THANKS
MARK
TOOFUN

mark67ss
May 5th, 05, 06:03 AM
FAX JUST CAME IN. ANYONE CARE TO DIGEST THIS FOR ME? Thinking of going with an XE-268H COMP CAM?

CAM LIFT VALVE LIFT LOBE CENTERS
INT EXH INT EXH INT EXH
.325 .325 .488 .488 106 110

ADV.DURATION SAE DURATION 050 DURATION
INT EXH INT EXH INT EXH
292 300 300 308 232 234

SAE TIMING LASH
BTC ABC BBC ATC HYD
39 81 79 49

050 TIMING
BTC ABC BBC ATC OVERLAP 80
10 42 47 7 SPREAD 108

ADV TIMING
BTC ABC BBC ATC
39 73 79 41

pdq67
May 5th, 05, 07:04 PM
I figure that cam better be in at least a 10.5 and preferrably an 11 to 1 CR. motor b/c I have Mellings equivalent hy-cam in my 406 about 9.5to 1 CR. SB with an M-20, 3.31's and at that time 26.5" tall tires and it came on above 2500rpm!!!

But hang on when you hit 3 grand!!!

pdq67

PS., CRV-1 (or 2), - I forget??), at 292/230, 109/107 .480" lift RV hy-cam...

Eric Kammerer
May 5th, 05, 07:22 PM
The cam specs for that existing cam look pretty close to the 268H.

http://www.compcams.com/Technical/Search/CamDetails.asp?PartNumber=12-242-2

Here's a link to the dyno sheet for the 268H. 9.25:1 and Darts, a Performer and Holley vac secondary, small headers, and they got 342 HP at 5000 and 413 ft.lb. at 3800.

http://www.compcams.com/information/Products/Camshafts/DynoSheets/XE268H-10_001.asp

If you were considering the 268H, making the majority of it's power up high, then that existing cam will probably suit you fine.

mark67ss
May 6th, 05, 04:18 AM
Hey guys , thanks for the info I really appreciate it. One more question. If I wanted to verify that the info this company gave me was correct about this cam, how would I do that? Is there something I can measure on the cam itself that would correspond to one of the numbers on the cam card and how would I measure it without putting it back into the motor and using a degree wheel? Could I measure the height of the lobes? What would that tell me?

Thanks
Mark

sicsD8
May 6th, 05, 06:28 AM
Mark- Way to go! Your search paid off!

pdq67
May 6th, 05, 01:40 PM
I went snooping and turned up a Crane history site about CMC, WBR, Crane and Federal-Mogul.

http://www.cranecams.com/?show=history

I knew Crane owned WBR but didn't know/forgot(?) WBR came from CMC...

And some more links...

http://www.harveycrane.com/secrets7.htm

http://www.harveycrane.com/secrets11.htm

Now I wonder how Clevite, Elgin and Melling companies enter into all this lineage, historically speaking, that is??? B/c they have produced similar spec'ed cams too.

pdq67

travis
May 6th, 05, 09:47 PM
That is the exact same cam that edelbrock repackages as their "torker" cam, the one that matches the torker II intake. It is rated as a 2500-6500 rpm cam in a 350, and it is recommended to use at least 9.5-1 compression.