car sitting lower on left side! HELP!!!! [Archive] - Team Camaro Tech

: car sitting lower on left side! HELP!!!!

1slow67maro
Nov 5th, 05, 06:01 PM
i am new to this online community and i was smart enough to use the search button but i can not find any problem like i have, so bare with me, and thanks for any help. i have a 1967 camaro rs and in the process of restoring the car. new quarters, new trunk and floor pans have been installed. front and rear end pulled out and replaced all bushing with polyurethane bushing. after reinstalling the front end the car looked good (up on jackstands in the rear). then when i installed the rear end again with the old leaf springs and new hardware the car is sitting about one and a half inches lower on the left side of the car. the guy before me has put a 68 or 69 rear end under the car because it has multi leaf rear end but only mono leaf springs. the guy had two wood blocks under the rear end to fill in the missing leafs, so i took those wood blocks out and repaced it with steel blocks (same size) just to put the car back together. i am completely frustrated and want to fix my car like its supposed to be. do i need to buy multi leaf springs? do i need to get rid of that 68-69 rear end and put in a 67? or is the car just twisted and im stuck with a car that sits sideways? sorry for the long post but i want you to have as much info as possible. thanks for any help and i did use the search button but came up empty (if you can point me to the right thread if one has already been posted...thanks).

q2quest
Nov 5th, 05, 06:13 PM
It is probable that the left spring has just sagged after 38 years. Replace both leaf springs with new high quality ones like Hotchkis or ones offered at Classic Industries, etc. Don't panic, it is almost certainly the leaf springs.

Steve's68RS
Nov 5th, 05, 06:42 PM
get a heavy date for the right side.......

CFunK
Nov 6th, 05, 12:50 PM
I agree with replacing the springs. What condition are the front springs in? Might as well start with fresh known good parts. Get a decent set of 4 or 5 leaf and then see how the stance is. You did say you were restoring the car, right?

Most 1st Gens have somewhat of a lean to them but 1.5" seems a bit excessive. I still had about a 1/2" lean after replacind my front and rear shocks. I solved the problem with a spacer under the front spring.

RUSTY69
Nov 6th, 05, 01:29 PM
i agree with steve..its cheaper

1slow67maro
Nov 6th, 05, 05:02 PM
thanks alot guys for your help. the springs seem to be the general consensus so i am going to order new springs this week. i already replaced the front springs with stock big block springs earlier (one spring was broken) in the summer, overlooked the rear. never really heard of them wearing out. but again thanks for your help and i will post results as soon as i get put them in.

and you're probably right...steve's alternative plan would be alot cheaper, but i guess that depends on how much she eats while out on the date :)

thanks!!!!!!!!

sixd8rs
Nov 6th, 05, 05:49 PM
Or find a date whos name is Ilean!
A friend of mine had some issues with his 69 after all new suspension parts were installed. We found out the traction bars were tightened up unevenly to the spring perches. Did you happen to install any on your car?
I also wonder if its possible that one of the rear leafspring shackles is much tighter than the other.

RamAirDave
Nov 6th, 05, 11:16 PM
My GTO has the same problem, and I'm pretty sure its been discussed here before. I checked several of the internet boards a while back, and found that its a pretty common problem. Would think it would be the opposite, considering the engine torques the car to the other side.

Ive read through what many others have experienced, and whether they change all the springs, bushings, shocks, and even put the car on a frame machine, nothing seemed to help most of them.

If anyone has any light to shed on the subject, I'd be interested also. After rebuilding the front susp on mine, I thought it would help some, but no different.

dave

69vert
Nov 7th, 05, 09:22 AM
I had the same problem on my 69 convertible. I was leaning about 3/4" to the left. I tried everything, nothing seemed to help. I finaaly got a spring spacer and inserted it under the left front spring. I got the ride height to within an 1/8". I can live with that. I checked it again last night after about 3 months and it has settled a bit. 1/4" lean to the left. I am going to live with it. 3/4" was noticable, 1/4" only me and anyone who reads this post will ever be able to tell.

Bob

pdq67
Nov 7th, 05, 05:57 PM
First off!

Did you by any chance drop your rear springs AND then bolt them back in place tight off the ground??

B/c if so, you mighta put the bushings in a bind b/c you need to tighten everything up finally on the ground!

pdq67

spideynut
Nov 8th, 05, 11:40 PM
First it would be best since you have done so much is to get some new leafs. Then I would do what pdq67 said plus if you havnt driven the car yet the front and rear springs are going to take some time to "set". I havent driven my car yet, dont have the leaning problem but I do have a rear sagging problem. Just hoping when I actully do drive my car the front will settle down a bunch if not its lowering springs to the rescue!

Everett#2390
Nov 11th, 05, 10:11 AM
Check the clearance of the subframe to floor. Both sides should be the same distance.

If one side, driver side, has more room then pass side, then using the firewall as a fulcum, the drvr frt wheel goes up, thus lowering the left front.

Look at the front of the car and look at the alignment of the header panel to the lower windshield, should be parallel across the front. If all is straight, then a spring problem or a spring seating problem in the subframe, maybe. There is a hole in the top of the frame rail and the end of the spring shows through this hole. The flat end, closed end, of the spring goes up into the frame rail.

thedugan
Nov 11th, 05, 11:33 AM
Question - when I replaced my front springs I tightened everything while the car was up in the air. The car now sits 1 inch lower on one side. Do I need to loosen the on the A-Arm and the knuckle and drive around the block and then tighten?

sixd8rs
Nov 11th, 05, 03:55 PM
They say you should lower the car to the ground before you tighten the new control arm bushings. Just for thought I would loosen everything up a little including the rear shackle bushings and set the car back on the ground and see how it looks. Then tighten everything up while its on the ground.

ohcscott
Nov 11th, 05, 04:03 PM
My bird still sits slightly lower on the left rear. I've replaced all springs, suspension and body bushings. It got better, but it is still noticeable if you are looking for it. I think it is from torque twist. I figure the RR squats when under load, so bends the body/frame upward in relation to the rest. I only have a 6cy, but the Fbody is not known for its strength. It has the typical cracks in the corners behind the q-windows from body flex.

thorpe67RS
Nov 11th, 05, 08:35 PM
Yep, me too. All suspension under my car is new including completely new rear end and it still leans to the left side about 1/2 inch. Heard MANY people with same issue..think its just part of the deal on a lot of these cars.

1slow67maro
Nov 13th, 05, 05:59 PM
okay fellas, i took the mono leaf springs off the car, flipped them upside down and to no suprise (thanks to you guys) one spring was actually higher than the other (about half inch). called the place where i get all my restoration parts from (didn't know if i could say the name), and ordered multi leaf springs that dropped right into place. lowered the car on the floor and tightened everything like you guys said and boom! everything was sitting nice and neat. now its only quarter of an inch lean to left side and im thinking of finding that overweight date steve was talking about to ride on the passenger side to level everything up :) . thanks for all of your help on this issue. everyone helped out a bunch. thanks again!!!!!!

clwilcox33
Nov 13th, 05, 09:03 PM
okay fellas, i took the mono leaf springs off the car, flipped them upside down and to no suprise (thanks to you guys) one spring was actually higher than the other (about half inch). called the place where i get all my restoration parts from (didn't know if i could say the name), and ordered multi leaf springs that dropped right into place. lowered the car on the floor and tightened everything like you guys said and boom! everything was sitting nice and neat. now its only quarter of an inch lean to left side and im thinking of finding that overweight date steve was talking about to ride on the passenger side to level everything up :) . thanks for all of your help on this issue. everyone helped out a bunch. thanks again!!!!!!

Good news! You're always allowed to say the names of vendors on the site, especially if you like them :) The only time we don't like folks to name vendors is if it's to complain about them.

BonzoHansen
Nov 14th, 05, 01:12 PM
Would think it would be the opposite, considering the engine torques the car to the other side.
That is what my 77 does right now. It is 1 lower on the right side, front and rear. It is getting new solid SF mounts this winter, that I will re-measure. I think my rear springs are OE & tired.

jhilts
Jan 30th, 06, 12:12 PM
My car was sitting 1/2 to 3/4 inch higher on the driver side. I had put new springs front and rear and new bushings through out. Found out my sub-frame was bent. Fixed that and everything evened out.

CFunK
Jan 30th, 06, 01:06 PM
How did you have your subrame "fixed"?

jhilts
Jan 31st, 06, 06:23 AM
Probably, not the correct way, but it worked. The drivers side was high.

Two jack stands in the back, one on the passenger side and lowered the drivers side. The driver's side just kind of dangles. It wasn't pretty, but it twisted the sub-frame. It took two trys but, it took the 1/2 difference out.

pdq67
Jan 31st, 06, 06:18 PM
Another point is that I have even finished tightening my rearend u-bolts on the ground to make darn sure my car was about as close as I could get it.

pdq67