clear coat wetsanding? [Archive] - Team Camaro Tech

: clear coat wetsanding?

camaro4lfe
Apr 18th, 02, 09:53 AM
well i got my 94 all stripped and bout to paint over the weekend hopefully i want a nice DEEP gloss got decent paint nice clear and want to know the best way to get deeper gloss with high shine would it be

1 4 coats of clear wetsand /buff

or

2 2 coats of clear wetsand 2 more coats wetsand buff

if i go with 2 can u see fine sand scratches under the final coats

ragtopman
Apr 18th, 02, 04:44 PM
1st, use a high solids clear and don't rush the dry times with too fast of solvents.

2nd, if its my car, 2 coats of clear, 600 wet sand 2 more coats of clear, sand and buff.

------------------
Jim
67 Camaro SS Conv.
70 Challenger R/T Conv.

RandyB
Apr 18th, 02, 06:48 PM
Can someone explain to me why you would wet sand in between coats of clear. I know this might sound silly, but i"ve been painting cars and about everything else with wheels for 17 years now and I'm self taught. I've heard about this procedure many times and I can see quit a few problems that may occur to your average home painter.
I put down about 3-4 heavy coats of clear and then sand with 1000 grit and buff with 3-M perfectit III. Now cars that I've painted have taken some nice awards, so why would you waste time and clear sanding between coats when if properly sanded on the final coat you can achieve the same look??

RandyB..
www.angelfire.com/ky2/mycars (http://www.angelfire.com/ky2/mycars) for pics.

Toby Keen
Apr 19th, 02, 12:35 AM
From my experience, the time involved is about the same and so is the amount of material. The 600 cuts faster and produces a very flat surface to put the last coats of clear on, which in turn produces less orangepeel to sand off the final coats with the 1000, 1500 or 2000.
It also offers a tiny bit of insurance that the panels are absolutely perfect before the last coat (s) of clear are put on.
I guess everybody has their own way of doing things. If the results are what you are looking for, I don't suppose it would matter a lot just how you got there.

merch120
Apr 19th, 02, 10:00 AM
I agree with ya Toby. Wet sanding in between coats of clear is the only way to a show quality finish. Anyone who is painting show quality bikes or cars these days cuts between coats. The problem with putting 3-5 coats on THEN wet sanding is simple..if you get a piece of trash in your first coat, the only way to sand that piece of trash out is to remove down the extra 4 coats you put on top of that little piece of dirt. Yep, waiting until the final coat and cutting will knock the top off the dirt nibs, but on close inspection, that little nib, if not sanded all th way out , will leave a nice little "ripple" visible under that right lighting or angle.
In the case of graphics, you can feel the high spots around your design, unless you cut and buff each coat of clear. Yeah, you can slop on 5 coats of clear, then cut it down until you can't feel any high spots..but then again, you've cut down 3 or 4 layers of clear..how much are you actually leaving to protect your basecoat and/or graphics?
On top of those reasons, you also have a real nice opportunity to see scratch marks in the clear using the "last coat cut", simply because by the time you get to 5 coats of clear, the normal dust and dirt nibs that are in the clear can't be removed by 1500 or 200 grit paper.
Clear will fill in 600 scratch marks easily, and as a final sand I use 2000 grit, which means I don't have to heat up the paint buffing the living hell out of it to remove sanding marks.
I always cut down between coats, and so do the other award-winning painters I know.

[This message has been edited by merch120 (edited 04-19-2002).]

camaro4lfe
Apr 19th, 02, 12:48 PM
thx allot im going to sand between been to tired to finish sanding so i can paint but hopefully finish by sun with the paint and first 2 coats of clear thx

RandyB
Apr 21st, 02, 03:39 PM
I'll stick to the final coat sanding method. It's too easy to leave something after the sanding and finding it when the clear hits it. I would think that if you got severe debris in the clear you would reshoot the part over anyway regurdless of which layer it got in on the clear. I'm not bragging or anything like that, I just think there are easier ways to go about things to acheive the same results. I could quit my fulltime job and just paint cars that people restore and enter in shows. So if your just leveling the paint to get that flat glass smooth look why take the chance on leaving something for the next shot of clear to show. Not too mention all the extra work involved, plus materials.
As soon as I can up date my site some more I'll show all the photos of the 1914 model T that I restored for my friends dad. I'll guarentee you you'd never know that I only sanded the final coat of clear on this black beauty.

RandyB.. www.angelfire.com/ky2/mycars (http://www.angelfire.com/ky2/mycars)

camaro4lfe
Apr 21st, 02, 04:26 PM
ill see how my first 2 coats come out thx

ragtopman
Apr 21st, 02, 05:13 PM
Sanding the clear down with 400 to 600 grit paper and then re-clearing again gets rid of that 'cellulite' look when viewed down the sides. It gives you a very straight and flat panel.

------------------
Jim
67 Camaro SS Conv.
70 Challenger R/T Conv.

Toby Keen
Apr 21st, 02, 11:50 PM
Hey Ragtopman,
Just wondering if you enjoyed this past winter in the slightly different climate you moved to? Probably a little less snow, huh?

ragtopman
Apr 22nd, 02, 02:00 PM
shy of mowing the grass, getting sunburned, and haveing to look at cool cars all winter long, not bad. I think I can force myself to put up with it, wait, what are the options, snow, ice, cold 7 months of the year........ http://www.camaros.net/forum/biggrin.gif http://www.camaros.net/forum/biggrin.gif http://www.camaros.net/forum/biggrin.gif

------------------
Jim
67 Camaro SS Conv.
70 Challenger R/T Conv.

merch120
Apr 22nd, 02, 03:42 PM
RandyB- if your final coat cut and buff works for you, then thats what you should stick with. I am just giving an opinion on how a show quality job should be structured.
Apparently, world renowned painters like Boyds, Deanos, Crazyhorse Customs, Jon Kosmowski and Damons agree with the cut between coats, as its the only way they do their jobs. And given their awards, magazine articles, famous people they paint for, etc...they probably know quite alot about show quality paint jobs and how to achieve them.
As I said, if it works for you, thats all that matters.

camaro4lfe
Apr 23rd, 02, 11:56 AM
well still to cold to paint stupid weather but itll be done soon and looks like im going to sand after the first 2