Converting from a powerglide to a 200r4 [Archive] - Team Camaro Tech

: Converting from a powerglide to a 200r4

67CamaroHawaii
Jul 25th, 06, 07:41 PM
Thanks to everyone's help here I've tracked down a used 200r4 transmission and am looking to install it in my 67 Camaro, but I have a few questions first. Firstly, will the existing crossmember from my 2 speed powerglide fit my 200r transmission? Secondly, can I use my yoke from the powerglide as well? And lastly, will my powerglide shifter work with the 200r4? Sorry if the questions seem like newbie questions, but I am a newbie when it comes to transmission stuff.

Thanks,
Chuck

Rocketrod
Jul 25th, 06, 07:58 PM
Thanks to everyone's help here I've tracked down a used 200r4 transmission and am looking to install it in my 67 Camaro, but I have a few questions first....
What is the donor car the trans come out of and what kind of HP/TQ is your motor producing?

Firstly, will the existing crossmember from my 2 speed powerglide fit my 200r transmission? ...
No you will need to get a TH400 crossmember and slightly modifiy it, or order one from www.bowtieoverdrives.com

Secondly, can I use my yoke from the powerglide as well? ...
Yes

... And lastly, will my powerglide shifter work with the 200r4? Sorry if the questions seem like newbie questions, but I am a newbie when it comes to transmission stuff...
If you have a horseshoe shifter there is a compnay that makes kits for them, but I don't remember their name.

67CamaroHawaii
Jul 25th, 06, 08:27 PM
The 200r4 came out of a 87 Monte Carlo with a 305 motor in it. My motor is pretty much a bone stock 327 with a four barrell carb that I have installed headers and a flowmaster exhaust system, as well as an MSD ignition. Don't know the exact HP/TQ specs but it's not much more than stock. My powerglide shifter is not the horse shoe one, it looks like a t. Thanks again.

BPOS
Jul 25th, 06, 09:04 PM
www.shiftworks.com for the shifter mods.

TOM BARKLEY
Jul 25th, 06, 09:05 PM
Shiftworks makes the shifter detent. You will have to fabricate a linkage rod. The orig. trans cooler lines can be bent to fit

dmaita
Jul 25th, 06, 09:05 PM
For conversions check these guys out:

http://www.shiftworks.com/kits.htm

67CamaroHawaii
Jul 25th, 06, 09:26 PM
Thanks guys. But here's another question. Would I just have to buy the 4speed overdrive kit, #s105b, or would I also need to buy the rod linkage with swivel kit, #sw429, as well?

67CamaroHawaii
Jul 25th, 06, 11:24 PM
I noticed that bowtieoverdrives.com has a wiring kit to lock-up the torque converter. Do I need to install this when swapping out my powerglide and putting in the 200r4?

67CamaroHawaii
Jul 26th, 06, 12:28 AM
Ok, one more question. Will the flywheel pan/cover fit from my powerglide, or do I need to get a new one? I notice that Classic Industries has a flywheel clutch cover for the 327 motor, is that what I would need? Again, sorry for all the questions but your help is greatly appreciated.

smalblock
Jul 26th, 06, 04:28 AM
The electrical components needed to lock up your converter can be purchased at your local parts dealer for a savings of over $100. These are AC DELCO part numbers.
brake light switch: 25524845
pressure switch: 8642473

Nomadkenn
Oct 12th, 06, 05:57 PM
I do not think any of these fixes will work! I am in process of installing a new BTO 200R4 in my 67 RS Convertible with a 350 Ram Jet engine, the problem I am having is the shift lever from the floor mounted shifter does not clear the left side of the transmission. Has anyone got an idea on how I can modifiy (or buy) a shift lever for my stock shifter? It looks like about 3/4 " longer shaft would do it.
Ken

67FamilyFun
Oct 13th, 06, 07:51 AM
Thanks guys. But here's another question. Would I just have to buy the 4speed overdrive kit, #s105b, or would I also need to buy the rod linkage with swivel kit, #sw429, as well?

You will need the 105B kit. Not sure abou the sw429 kit, I had a linkage that I used instead.

Also, you are going to need some way of connecting the TV cable to the carb throttle linkage. I used the BTO bracketry and braided TV cable setup (~$100) if I remember right, and it looks/fits nice. There are other ways of doing this, someone can chime in.

Lock-up is really very simple, there are several ways of achieving it. 12V is sent to the transmission...a solenoid trips...tranny magic occurs...the converter is locked.
Simplest is to wire a switch and switch it on when at highway speed.
Slightly more complicated is to run that wire through a late model GM brake switch So if the lockup is on and the brakes are depressed, it breaks the 12V line, unlocking the converter.
B&M makes a kit you can get at Jegs/Summit that puts an speed sensor inline with your speedo cable, so the 12V is sent when a certain speed is reached.

Can't answer the bellhousing question, I used a universal bellhousing that I trimmed to fit.

200-4R tranny conversion list:
- Transmission - The 87 Monte you have is a good valve body trans for a Camaro. CZ and CQ valve bodies are supposed to work well.
- TH400 crossmember (may require removal/welding of the mount pad or slotting of the mount holes)
- Driveshaft - The 200-4R is 27-11/16" long. A TH350 is the same length and could use the same driveshaft. A long tail PG is only 1/8" shorter. The 200-4R takes a 27-spline yoke. A TH400 is longer and will require shortening of the driveshaft.
- TV Cable and geometry correcting bracketry (BTO)
- Lock up wiring including new brake switch (B&M, BTO, homemade)
- Dipstick
- New shifter cam and linkage
- Probably recommended to have a dedicated air/oil heat exchanger
- Transmission mount. Some have used the 3 hole transmission mount and only used the center hole to mate to the crossmember to minimize adaptation of the TH400 crossmember
- 12 Quarts Dextron III

Thinks that's about it.
-Scott

67FamilyFun
Oct 13th, 06, 07:54 AM
I do not think any of these fixes will work! I am in process of installing a new BTO 200R4 in my 67 RS Convertible with a 350 Ram Jet engine, the problem I am having is the shift lever from the floor mounted shifter does not clear the left side of the transmission. Has anyone got an idea on how I can modifiy (or buy) a shift lever for my stock shifter? It looks like about 3/4 " longer shaft would do it.
Ken

Ken,
The shiftworks kit has a new lever arm in the kit. Mine was close to the transmission...and if I recall, I may have "adusted" it some in the bench vise to clear the tranny...

Nomadkenn
Oct 13th, 06, 02:33 PM
Ken,
The shiftworks kit has a new lever arm in the kit. Mine was close to the transmission...and if I recall, I may have "adusted" it some in the bench vise to clear the tranny...
Thanks for the input, but after looking on their site the lever arm (I think) you are talking about is the arm that goes on the tranny. I am looking for a solution for the lever arm coming out ot the floor mounted shifter. Were you able to bend it out about 1"?:confused:

67FamilyFun
Oct 13th, 06, 04:42 PM
Thanks for the input, but after looking on their site the lever arm (I think) you are talking about is the arm that goes on the tranny. I am looking for a solution for the lever arm coming out ot the floor mounted shifter. Were you able to bend it out about 1"?:confused:

Yep, you're right. I went and looked again. The lever is for the tranny. :clonk: The instructions for the kit say,
6. The shifter box may hit the top of your transmission. Removal of some box material should resolve this problem.
7. Powerglide shifters may required the arm to be bent out and then down to clear the TH350 Transmission govenor.

Not sure that helps, but I do remember having to bend mine a little...and it already had been modified to a TH350...so it may have been bent some previously.

Nomadkenn
Oct 29th, 06, 04:56 PM
Yes, the big vise and a hammer moved the stock lever out enough to clear the tranny! The PG rod was to small so I installed a Kugel Komponents Vari Angle Shift Arm Kit. I now get all 7 positions with the stock console shifter.

captcanuck68
Mar 13th, 08, 06:27 AM
Shiftworks makes the shifter detent. You will have to fabricate a linkage rod. The orig. trans cooler lines can be bent to fit
I see where this is the second time that you had to answer this same question, Tom. Guess the guys forget to check out previous posts in the archives, eh?

capt

booman55
Mar 13th, 08, 06:39 AM
I see where this is the second time that you had to answer this same question, Tom. Guess the guys forget to check out previous posts in the archives, eh?

capt

Were you referring to me asking about the cooling lines?