bbc headers [Archive] - Team Camaro Tech

: bbc headers

brroed
Aug 13th, 06, 09:21 AM
I put a 502 in my 69 camaro.and im having problems getting the drivers side header to fit .its hitting my power steering pump and shifter linkage. I have seen a lot of people on here with the same problem of getting there headers to fit . has anyone found the right combo to fix this . I have big block frame mounts . and stock big block motor mounts but no luck I tried the hooker comp headers but they will not fit.I cant return them now because there scratched to bad . I dont have the money to keep buying headers IT seems like my only option is to try to find some one to build me a drivers side header. please help

camcojb
Aug 13th, 06, 10:24 AM
The Hooker Super comps fit on mine. You must have the correct pads and mounts, and not all the reproduction units are correct. Also, on the drivers side the engine had to come up to get them in. Yes, they are very close, I even shaved the head of one of the ps box bolts, but it did clear.

Jody

BNZFixr
Aug 13th, 06, 10:48 AM
Brroed and Camcojb, could you please include the Hooker part #'s. I am going to install Hookers with my BBC build also. Brroed, let us know the outcome. And Good Luck!
Thanks

Amptech
Aug 13th, 06, 11:23 AM
If it helps, my Hooker Super Comp header number is HKR2205.

camcojb
Aug 13th, 06, 12:15 PM
If it helps, my Hooker Super Comp header number is HKR2205.

Same set I used.

Jody

2x67rs/ss
Aug 13th, 06, 01:16 PM
Gotta lay the header in before you drop the motor in thats the only way I got mine to fit!

Bgonz 69
Aug 13th, 06, 02:38 PM
I just installed a set of hooker super comps with 1 1/8 tubes and they fit pretty good. Its an auto car,so no linkage issues.Drivers side i had to trim a little bit off the frame mount as it hit the header.No problem with a sawzall.and the pass side i had to trim an inch off one upper contol arm shaft bolt. Both sides can be put in with the engine in the car.You just need to jack it up a few inches per side.Ive seen/used much worse. 2" Hooker comps fit like a glove.

bob

brroed
Aug 13th, 06, 02:44 PM
what kind of pads and mounts did you use. camcojb

Meanchicken
Aug 13th, 06, 06:22 PM
I just installed a ZZ502 in my 68 with 2" Hooker comps and they fit great.

It is critical to use the correct frame stands and motor mounts. Check Hookers tech info and installation notes. They only guaranty an interference free fit if you use stands and mounts from Ricks First Gen. I followed this advice and they went right in.

Driver side needs to be set laid in there with the engine up a few inches first, then lower the engine and bolt her up.

Passenger side goes right in from under the car.

I did prefit the headers to the engine before installing the engine. As a result...One thing I did have to do is grind some clearance notches into the header flanges so that the flanges would clear the lower head bolts on my alum heads (hopefully you already did this before installing the engine or you will have a lot more work to do).
Other than that, it was a great fit.
IMHO you should not have to take anything off your control arm bolts. This will kill your ability to adjust the aligment when the need arrises to add more shims and the headers should fit without having to do this.
Tim

camcojb
Aug 13th, 06, 07:35 PM
what kind of pads and mounts did you use. camcojb

Original GM on both.

Jody

PhilM
Aug 24th, 06, 01:21 PM
Jody is correct. I used repop motor mounts and they did not fit. I bough NOS Gm and they fit fine.

Now i have a set of lemmons and they fit perfect...

502prostreet
Aug 25th, 06, 06:57 AM
If you are getting ceramic coated the number is 2205-1HKR if not then 2205HKR are the black painted ones. I used the 2205-1HKR's, They were tight but once they were on they fit like a glove. We had to shave the mounting pad on Flamming River box to fit deeper into pocket on frame and shaved a little off the corner of box closest to header. I'm not 100% what mounts I have but the headers are on with no dings, bends or scratches.

ironcross
Aug 26th, 06, 08:16 PM
The Hooker "Super Comps" with 2 1/8 primarys will fit with or with out a turbo 400 and with PS. I have them in my 67 L78 4 speed piece and another set in a 68 attached to a LS7 454. Not a hell of a lot ground clearance though.

69Camarozz396
Aug 27th, 06, 01:33 AM
I could only find one set of ceramic headers that were reasonable priced by hooker that were recommended for the BBC and power steering.

If I were to do it again with the engine in, I would do the drivers side first. I did the pass. side first and was hitting on the upper control arm when lifting the engine. Even with the pass side installed, I still got the drivers side to FINALLY fall into place. I had to jack my car to an uncomfortable height. This is the key so you can manuver the header into place. The first couple of attempts, I thought there was no way I was going to get it in. Crawl back out and jack the car up some more. Luckily, I have a jack and jack stands that will handle large 4 wheel drive trucks. Be safe! Phil

67FamilyFun
Aug 27th, 06, 05:52 AM
I'm the exception. I had a negative experience with the Hookers.
I have Hooker super comp 2205s and a zz454. They fit like OJ's glove. I have repop 67 BBC frame stands and motor mounts (from Ricks). I had to shave the header flanges, 2 power steering box bolt (600 model), and a mounting pad on the engine block...and then had to ding a little to clear the ps box. Also, the collector flanges were not square to the tube.
I don't blame hooker for the power steering box troubles, since this is not a stock configuration, but the headers required waaay to much work to get to fit.

camcojb
Aug 27th, 06, 07:05 AM
I'm the exception. I had a negative experience with the Hookers.
I have Hooker super comp 2205s and a zz454. They fit like OJ's glove. I have repop 67 BBC frame stands and motor mounts (from Ricks). I had to shave the header flanges, 2 power steering box bolt (600 model), and a mounting pad on the engine block...and then had to ding a little to clear the ps box. Also, the collector flanges were not square to the tube.
I don't blame hooker for the power steering box troubles, since this is not a stock configuration, but the headers required waaay to much work to get to fit.

And the thing that sticks out to me is the repop frame and motor mounts. When I first started looking for headers I called Hooker, and that was their biggest complaint. Virtually all the problems they'd seen revolved around using reproduction frame stands over the real GM deals. In many case they are simply not correct. They may allow the big block to be mounted but since the Hooker headers were built using the GM stands then a reproduction that's "close" may not work at all.

They recommend Year One as the company they'd seen that were correct, but my particular car had the original factory GM pads.

Jody

67FamilyFun
Aug 27th, 06, 04:07 PM
And the thing that sticks out to me is the repop frame and motor mounts.

Yes, I had quite a time with the frame stands. I tried both type of BBC frame stands (69 and 67-68 stands) with the corresponding matching motor mounts. The 69 stands wouldn't mount the motor to the car, and I believe the frame stands were to blame. The 67-68 stands worked and dimensionally were the same as original 67-68 frame stands. It is too bad that GM doesn't make the originals anymore. I tried ebay and the classifieds, but couldn't find any originals. The documentation from Hooker that came with my headers recommended Ricks.

The frame stands wouldn't cause the tube to hit a engine mount pad on the block...and wouldn't cause the flanges to be welded on to the tube out of square. Even if the 67 BBC frame stands were off because they were repops, I doubt they were off much at all.

Not arguing, just wanted to point out that "your experience may vary" to whomever is reading this post for advice.

-Scott

ironcross
Aug 27th, 06, 10:43 PM
The Hooker "Super Comps" with 2 1/8 primarys will fit with or with out a turbo 400 and with PS. I have them in my 67 L78 4 speed piece and another set in a 68 attached to a LS7 454. Not a hell of a lot ground clearance though.

This is my own post and I must add to it by saying that all my Camaros were original BB cars. Even with the larger 2 1/8 primary tubes the Super Comps fit perfectly. The Hooker application covers 67 through 69. If the attempt is to transplant a BB for a SB and the problem arises I dont have a clue. But as others suggested the metal frame mounts are different. By the way, I`m returning my 67 L78 to its original exhaust system and I will shorty offer the Hooker set from the 67 for sale. :)

Meanchicken
Aug 28th, 06, 10:01 PM
I've heard from others installing 502's that the Hooker Super Comps requires dinging one primary to clear the clutch linkage and another primary has to be dinged to clear the PS hose....along with creating the need for custome PS hoses.
I went with Comps simply for the better clearance and easier installation. Also...I didn't think the equal length primaries and the hassle of fitting them in would net me large enough power gains to be worried about. If I find I need more power than 550HP and 575TQ, then I'll drop a huffer on this thing and keep my Comps.

Tim