Humidor - wrapped or unwrapped? [Archive] - Team Camaro Tech

: Humidor - wrapped or unwrapped?

HwyStarJoe
Dec 26th, 06, 07:41 PM
Question for our cigar afficionados....
I just refilled my humidor and the thought came to me of whether I should unwrap a cigar that's in cellofane, or leave them in. Or should I open the end of the wrapper but leave it on? Or take the cigars out of the wrapper when putting them in the box?
I've always just left them in whatever kind of package or wrapper they're in when I purchase them. Even if they're in a capped tube.
I can't see how the humidity will keep the tobacco moist if the stogies are wrapped.

What's your preference?

MrDanB
Dec 26th, 06, 08:43 PM
When I smoke cigars, I buy them one or two at a time.... I know lots of guys with humidors, and I think most of them leave them in the cellophane. :)
Dano

Guest174
Dec 26th, 06, 09:02 PM
hsj,

to simplify the answer, go to www.cigargroup.com/faq/#4.1 (http://www.cigargroup.com/faq/#4.1) scroll down to the third or fourth bullet point for the info.
personally, depending on whats in the humidor at the time, i will remove the air wrapper allowing the flavors to "marry".
as a rule, you should leave the air wrapper on and this article will explain why.
Arturo Fuentes is my smoke of preference.....yours?

68rs406
Dec 26th, 06, 09:25 PM
Actually, I find they stay freshest unwrapped in those 35mm film containers, plus the "man" can't smell them that way..............Oh wait, you meant cigars ;)
I'm like Dan, I like a good cigar, but don't smoke them enough for a humidor. My buddy always left them wrapped in cellophane in his, thats how cigar shops store them, I figure that should be good for a home use model.

DougP
Dec 27th, 06, 05:43 AM
I leave them wrapped while they are in my humidor. Keep the humidty around 65 - 70% and you'll be fine. Ashton and AVO are a couple of my favorites.

Everett#2390
Dec 27th, 06, 05:56 AM
Buy two cigars of your favorite brand. Strip one and leave the other wrapped and store both in the humidor. Smoke later and compare each.

HwyStarJoe
Dec 27th, 06, 08:21 AM
I guess if I had to choose, it'd be a mild Macanudo. But I like some of the more robust smokes as well. It's tough to choose! :)

I try to keep the humidor as close to 70% as I can.

Scott Taylor
Dec 27th, 06, 08:30 AM
I choose to keep them in the wrappers. Oh, and I also like to keep them at the tobacco store, so they won't cause me to die prematurely.

musclecarjohn
Dec 27th, 06, 10:54 AM
wrappers off...

Bolivar fan here,54 ring gauge,dark maduro wrapper...mmm,mmm,good!:thumbsup:

69jbjohn
Dec 27th, 06, 11:08 AM
Wrappers on , humidity will get in. Cigars International (dot com) , Legend Series................. best $3 cigars I have found so far . Santa replenished my humidor ................

musclecarjohn
Dec 27th, 06, 11:57 AM
Speaking of cigars...

Any of you guys deal with JR,the largest cigar retailer in the world?
They send me a weekly internet special,just got the latest one just two minutes ago,already ordered.

Altadis,a nice line of Dominican cigars will be changing their packaging so JR is blowing out the old stuff.50% off...I just ordered,the 6.00x54 Magnums were already sold out so you better hurry if you want 'em.:thumbsup:

Boxes of 25:

Belicoso
6.12x52 sale priced $28.12

Corona
5.50x44 sale priced $21.87

Robusto
5.00x52 sale priced $25.00

Lonsdale
6.62x44 sale priced $25.00

4 boxes shipped to my door (100 cigars)...$116.24 or $1.16/cigar!

(800) 572-4427

click
Dec 27th, 06, 12:05 PM
Got some from Thompson Cigar once, came in a tiny aluminum briefcase, kinda neat. Cigars smoked ok too, too many choices for me, :)

musclecarjohn
Dec 27th, 06, 12:54 PM
Got some from Thompson Cigar once, came in a tiny aluminum briefcase, kinda neat. Cigars smoked ok too, too many choices for me, :)

JR owns Thompson...or visa verse.Thompson handles mainly lower quality products than JR but the big names are there as well.

On another note...JR has "hinted" today in their email that they believe the Cuba embargo will soon be lifted paving the way for US sold cuban cigars.:hurray: Now wouldn't that be something...?:yes:

HwyStarJoe
Dec 27th, 06, 01:21 PM
Yes, JR has some really great package deals. Once in a great while my brother-in-law and I will share a deal.

dark maduro wrapper...mmm,mmm,good!:thumbsup:

I agree. :thumbsup:

I choose to keep them in the wrappers. Oh, and I also like to keep them at the tobacco store, so they won't cause me to die prematurely.

I don't inhale cigars. I slowly enjoy the aroma and taste. There's nothing better than a tall glass of Capt. Morgan and a fine stogie!

musclecarjohn
Dec 27th, 06, 01:38 PM
I slowly enjoy the aroma and taste. There's nothing better than a tall glass of Capt. Morgan and a fine stogie!

Ahhh...a man after my own heart!:thumbsup:

click
Dec 27th, 06, 01:40 PM
...while standing over the carcas of a recently gutted whitetail buck :) sorry had to add that. :)

HwyStarJoe
Dec 27th, 06, 03:36 PM
:thumbsup:

Guest174
Dec 27th, 06, 07:52 PM
There's nothing better than a tall glass of Capt. Morgan and a fine stogie![/quote]

if i may make a suggestion, try a macanudo with 3-4 fingers of johnnie walker blue.

Mister G
Dec 27th, 06, 08:43 PM
Plastic or cellophane around the cigar is good to protect its wrapper. Most recommend you take it off when you put it in a humidor as it will help age the cigar and let it breath. I have had cellophane on mine in the humidor for years and have not found any difference with those that were unwrapped.
My latest favorite is Onyx robusto which is a 50 ring (50/64") by 5 inches. I have had a fair amount of Cuban Cohibas ( a favorite of mine) over the years and fine them excellent, but they usually come at a high price. And of course a fine drink (Gold Label lately) always goes well.

DougP
Dec 28th, 06, 04:52 AM
There's nothing better than a tall glass of Capt. Morgan and a fine stogie!

if i may make a suggestion, try a macanudo with 3-4 fingers of johnnie walker blue.

I have some "Dominican" Cohibas -- that along with a tall Crown Royal on the rocks while sitting out in the garage -- ahhhhhh

DougP
Dec 28th, 06, 04:54 AM
Speaking of cigars...

Any of you guys deal with JR,the largest cigar retailer in the world?
They send me a weekly internet special,just got the latest one just two minutes ago,already ordered.

I get all my cigars from JR -- good prices and quick delivery :thumbsup:

PinMd
Dec 28th, 06, 05:11 AM
I was given two Caymen Premium cigars. They had to be about the best smokes ever IMHO! I found the name of the shop by doing a google search, got a phone # and called. The lady told me $180 over nighted for 25 cigars. I think that was the 50x5.6 or something like that.
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y276/PinMd/P1040367.jpg
I got to find me a cigar this good that's not going to break the bank. $180 for 25 cigars is too much coin for me. Am I being too cheap, or are they overpriced?

DenRS
Dec 28th, 06, 06:31 AM
Davidoff cigars are hands down my favorite. I leave my cigars in the wrappers.

Guest174
Dec 28th, 06, 07:00 AM
damn. i love this site.....
fast cars, fast women, fine tobacco and top shelf alcohol!

:thumbsup: good choice dougp, cohibas and crown!

everyone, do you prefer cutting or plugging your stogie?

for me, cut only.

69jbjohn
Dec 28th, 06, 07:23 AM
True , the more expensive cigars are great smokes ! But what do you guys smoke on a regular basis ? My quest for a great affordable cigar continues ! Glenlivet on the rocks , Legend Green Label from CI , is my current favorite combo ..........................................

click
Dec 28th, 06, 07:34 AM
swisher sweets :)

musclecarjohn
Dec 28th, 06, 09:30 AM
True , the more expensive cigars are great smokes ! But what do you guys smoke on a regular basis ? My quest for a great affordable cigar continues ! Glenlivet on the rocks , Legend Green Label from CI , is my current favorite combo ..........................................

I'm telling you...if you ain't buying from JR...you're paying too much!
They have their own "alternatives" to all the big hitters,some great values there...even after shipping.The Dominicans I bought yesterday were big fat ones (52 & 54 ring gauge) for $1.16/each...shipped to my door.

You doing better than that at your local smokeshop...?:noway:

Jeff H
Dec 28th, 06, 04:13 PM
My brother works part time at a cigar store so cost isn't an issue. And none of my cigars are around longer than 2-3 weeks so wrapper or no wrapper isn't an issue in my humidor either. There are too many good cigars to pick a favorite and even then some of my favorites will have an 'off' cigar from time to time. I prefer to enjoy a cigar with a fresh local micro-brew that we always have on tap at home. I also enjoy them while playing a round of golf across the street on the local course.