Team Camaro Tech banner

Is this a good deal?

10K views 45 replies 21 participants last post by  DT 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone. First time poster here. I've got a deal brewin right now on a 1969 Camaro pre-x code car. 350 with 4speed, top notch restoration ( 3years old). The car is very straight and clean. My question is do you guys think that $25000 is a good deal? View attachment 31606

#2 ·
Would need more pics. Who is the restorer? Is it a #'s match? Mileage? Hard to tell the paint at that dist. $25k gets eaten up pretty fast, esp if a project is farmed out, eh? But, keep in mind the economic times, as many still think in terms of prices as it was five years ago. Be sure to check out the archives for the many pointers that have been shared in the past.

capt

#4 ·
Sorry, the motor is not numbers matching but the trans (muncie) and rearend are. I dont know who restored. Mileage is 72000, all original body panels except the cowl induction hood. Hotchickis front and rear suspension, 12 bolt rearend, multi leaf springs, demon 650 carb. Paint is flawless ( i have painted a couple cars) interior is excellent.

View attachment 31611

View attachment 31612

#7 ·
Good cut and polish on the paint.

Do you have any hist on the car? Where from? Is the under as good as the upper

Is the interior deluxe? Any interesting opts? AM/FM radio? Sport wheel? others?

If no to any of the above, and as already mentioned...it's on the high side. If a vert?...that would enter into it.

capt

#8 ·
Seeing how you're in Michigan, if that's the original sheetmetal, either the car was imported from somewhere else, wasgarage-kept for most of it's life, or that "original sheetmetal" has had some patching and/or bondo work done to it over the years. The chances of a car spending 43 years in a climate like Michigan's while racking up 72,000 miles and not having some major rot are pretty slim.

#9 ·
The car is from WV. Under the hood is as clean as the outside as is the bottom also. It has under gone a complete frame off resto approximatly 3 years ago. I know cars and I know what to look for. I had a 1968 Chevelle ( Malibu) that I restored and had more money into it then I could get out of it. It seem that the cars I've seen for sale are priced very high, ecspecially camaros. For what has been done to this car 25000 sounded like a good price. I just wanted to know what everyone else's thoughts were.

#10 ·
One question not asked to date...do you intend to keep it for some time or to flip it within a short period of time? If you do, it will take a long time to make on this one.

Also, were you supplied with proof that it was indeed a "complete restore"?

So, if you're heart's into it, the pockets deep enough to absorb the $$$hit, then it puts yet another spin on it, eh? Go for it if the gut says to. You know what it takes to do a proper build.

capt

#11 ·
It comes with a whole pile of receipts. I do know that I could not build it for that money, been there done that. And from what I've seen they are asking a lot of $$$$ for camaros. What I don't know is if they are getting that for them. My plan is to keep the car and put my own little touches on it. I have yet to see a car this clean for the money!

#13 ·
Doug, is the car in MI? I am from MI and would look at it with you if you wanted.

Here's the deal. We know it's not a numbers matching car. Is the body solid? Was the work done on suspension and engine bay look professional? Does it drive well? You never know what you're going to get with an engine but there are things to look for. How about the interior? Good shape.

It comes down to this, if you like the car and it's in your budget, buy it. I can't believe the naysayers that pounce on posts like this. It's your money, if the car is structurally sound, runs well, and looks good, buy it and don't look back.

#14 ·
Doug, Welcome to team camaro first off:beers:
Agree 100% you would have more in it then the price doing a car to what level your stating it is so the price could be possibly better (I'm thinking low 20's) but its not a 'bad' deal either depending on a few things especially what DT asked concerning the vin and V/8. If it was a 6 cyl. I'd have to swallow hard and think that out but if a V8 car it's a heck of a car to enjoy and have fun putting your personal touches on for a small investment. And one that you could re-coup $$$ down the road (long term) since you would not be upside down like so many completing some type of resto. As members have suggested though, those little extras here and there (interior options, rear, suspension, etc.) really assist with selling prices and value so check it out and report back and good luck. Stay on board here, you hear! :D

#15 ·
Yes the car is a v8 car. both front ad rear suspension has a Hotchickis upgrade. The interior is in excellent condition and the engine bay is spotless. Somebody has spent ALOT of $$$$$ restoring this car. Iwould have to say they spent well over 30000 on the resto.

I dont know why the other pics didnt post.I probly screwed up.

Auto part Vehicle Car Engine Muffler

#17 · (Edited)
I realize I'm probably in the minority but it's always good to have different perspectives even if unpopular (mine)....

Location has a lot to do with it for pricing. Around here were a long way from the days of $50k for a restored base car but not nearly as far away as some places apparently. This is the wrong place to come for value info in my opinion. I can't remember the last time I saw a "WIW" thread where the consensus wasn't that the price was too high, yet I also can't find a single thread where someone has gotten a rock bottom deal on a restored '69. For instance, I paid $25k two years ago for a restored non-matching '69 and it was a former 307 car....and in the end all I really wanted was the body because I had another car and wanted to combine the best of both into one, and then everything else into the other one which needed a good bit of body work and paint but was still a decent 50 footer. I'm sure if I had posted it on here first I'd have been called nuts. Meanwhile, it would've sold because I looked at every car within about 200 miles of me that needed nothing and was listed in that price range and the majority of them sold before I could even get by to look at them. Yes, the seller still lost money on it.

So anyway, to me any V8 '69 with solid body, good paint, and needing nothing except gas is worth at least $25k if you can actually put your hands on it and see it in person to verify. Take a look at the valuations people throw out, then take a look at the classifieds on this site for example. Lots of room between the two. I realize that there is going to be a difference between "what would I buy it for" and "what would I sell it for" but come on.

This is the car I bought and it probably isn't in as good of shape as the one you're looking at but again it's about the best I could find at the price point. The same guy had sold a '69 vert a couple months earlier that he said wasn't as solid for $28k. Since you know where to look at what to look for you're ahead of the game. This had a solid lifter 327, Muncie, Moser rear, four wheel discs, clean interior, but otherwise stock type stuff although it had been restored years ago with NOS sheetmetal.

As a comparison, here's one I looked at that was a former 6 cylinder car and just had a basic 350/auto combo. It had the a/c stuff still under the hood and disconnected, and needed a new headliner, carpet, and some other basic things. I'm pretty sure it sold for around $20k. Love the color combo and was headed to look at another one with the same colors but it sold two days after I set up a time to come look at it, and less than a week after hitting craigslist.

#18 ·
Doug,

It does seam like 69 Camaros' defy a lot of common economic thought. Given it was a strike year going into 1970, the 69 model ran long resulting in a large production run and a whole lot of these cars being built. From that perspective, they are not rare in general which accordingly should keep the price point in check. On the other hand, the 69 model is oh so fine to the point everyone wanting a classic car (young and old) at least considers or compares to it. That makes it highly desireable which tends to run the price point up. As noted, this is a fairly base model car (non performance, non vert, etc), but still very nice. Can you tell us, which 4 Speed is in the car (M20, M21, M22 or other), Power Disc Brakes or just Power Brakes up front, is the 12 bolt a posi unit and what gear ratio? Assuming you have driven the car, how was your driving experience, ie., did you love it or just kinda liked the way it handled?

ps: I'm initally thinking it's a low 20's car and that's what I would be offering for it.

#19 ·
The car handled great with the suspension upgrades. The rearend is a 12 bolt with unknow gears, i would guess 307 323 gears and non posi ( easy fix). I do believe the trans is a m20. I'm on the fence about buying it. Maybe I'll wait until spring and then start looking again.

#20 ·
Doug, spring time usually prices go up so now is a good time! With what you have communicated it sounds like a nice car so go make the guy an offer. You have nothing to lose other then the seller saying 'no'. That's of course if you really like the car. Good luck!!!!!!

#23 ·
I would expect a good solid car/paint, body wise, interior wise and mechanical wise would get $20-25K all day long.

#26 ·
Bingo.
Thats what I've been seeing also. Not even an SS, or an RS either. If its a darn nice Camaro, you pay a bit.

I agree that we dont see folks coming on here with all done cars saying "I bought it for 15k".

Sounds like its ok.....

#25 ·
I think if you hunt around long and hard enough (I looked for 2+ years) you can find what you like at a good price. I got my car at a great price but shipping and taxes hurt me.

I personally think the car is worth $19K as the "steal it, I'm getting divorced" price to $30K "rich guy who likes 69 Camaro's and buys it from you while you're taking it out for a drive in spring" price range.

You're right in the middle so it's a fair price. Even if you have to take a loss when the time comes & you have to sell it, it won't be as bad as driving a new car off the lot.

Hey, it's a 69 Camaro, they are bada$$......I'd buy 7, a different color/model for everyday of the week if I could afford it. Reggie Jackson did it and look how it turned out for him. :D

#28 ·
Go buy that CAR Doug! Have deposit in hand and make him a offer of something a little less and if he says no, then give him a deposit to buy at 25K. This time of year is in your favor especially if the person has had the car for sale.
If your still on the fence then pass. Don't see how you can get burned on this from what you have told us.

#29 · (Edited)
The fact that you are still looking for validation from people you don't personally know tells me the car isn't for you. I personally would buy it. You said the paint's nice, body's solid, has had suspension modded with the good stuff, it drives nice. What more do you want? Go to this site and check out what cars are going for. http://www.cars-on-line.com/camaro.html

Look what the numbers-matching cars are going for then look at what the non-matching cars are going for.
The car you are looking at is a good deal for a nice driver. It's never going to have the value of a numbers matching car but then again, it's a lot less money than a numbers matching.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.