Team Camaro Tech banner

Looking for headlight fuse location...

24K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  novaderrik 
#1 ·
My son's 1992 V8 Camaro has had it's headlights fail.
In looking around in the Haynes manual, I can't find any information about the location of the headlight fuse. It says in the electrical diagram something about a 'rust 20A'.

I managed to pretzel down to look, but can't see any 20A fuses blown, or any fuses blown.

So my simple question is... WHERE is the headlight fuse on the 1992 V8 Camaro?

Is it anywhere on this fuse photo I took? Or is it somewhere else?
Any other culprits to suspect beyond both headlamps burning out at the same time?

Thanks for any clues...

PeterPenguin

See less See more
#2 ·
Is there a fuse box under the hood? My Civic has two fuse boxes. Horn, headlights etc was under the hood. Those headlights usually do give out about the same time, but usually days apart not minutes apart. Unless... there is something else going on........

#3 ·
Well we looked, but couldn't see any. I've had a few cars with fuses under the hood... but it doesn't seem like that's the case here.

Thanks anyhow... anyone else know where it might be? Or is it one of the fuses in the photo above?

That Haynes manual really isn't all that helpful. From the photo I can make out ECM (electronic control module?), INJ 1 (injector 1), L1D (no idea what that means), Heater A/C, Fan, Turn signal, Back Up, Tail lights, Fan, Gauges, SIR (no idea), ACC, WDO (no idea), Instrument lights, Radio, Battery, Stop Hazzard lights, Wipers... but NO main headlights!

It also seems some of the fuse slots are empty... but I don't know if that means those components don't exist on this model.

Ignorance is not bliss when it comes to automotive mechanics!

:0)

#4 ·
The glove-box manual would tell you where the fuses are all located and will also deliniate their location.

You headlamps could be powered through a fusable link or a breaker. There might also be a relay involved. Unfortunately I am not well versed on 92s.

#5 ·
I did some checking in my 2002 diagrams (for what it's worth). I noticed that Domestic camaros used fusable links for the headlamps, while Japanese and Euro Camaros had fuses. What's more the fuses were in-line near the lamps - not in a fuse box.

I would imagine your car uses fusible links.

#6 ·
if it's like any older GM car back to at least the mid 60's, then the switch has a self-resetting breaker inside it. if there is no short circuit anywhere and it won't reset itself, it's time for a new switch.
of course, get in there with a test light and verify that there is power actually getting to the switch before buying a new one. it's also possible that the hi/low beam switch on the column is bad, as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.