Team Camaro Tech banner

Weiand "team g" v's Edelbrock Super Victor?

15K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  Debacle355 
#1 ·
Hi anyone done any dyno tests on Weiand "team g" v's Edelbrock Super Victor on 350's?

#2 ·
I have changed from single plane weiand team 'g' p/n 7530 to an edelbrock super victor p/n 2925 on a
350+0.040 ,
sportsman IIs
approx 11.5:1
260&264@0.050
.580,590 lift
750 aed d/p 73prim 80sec
36 total timing

Only changed it cause team 'g' had been machined too much and was leaking(pulling oil on bottom of inlet port)
Only thing i've changed is manifold & times have gone
backwards, why?Any ideas?
Previous best with team 'g' 11.14 @ 121.5
New times with super victor 11.69 @ 115

I been over it & checked timing, tryed smaller & bigger jets, checked for vaccum leaks, checked lift on cam for wear, compression test, rechecked rockers Etc
Is the super victor too big for this engine? It has low vaccum 3.5-4" @ idle(don't know what it had before), is this an air speed problem?
Its an existing cam but is it too big for this combo?(race only)

Anyone got any ideas?help?
Cheers Mick

#3 ·
All of that leaky machining might indicate that the Team G was ported and modified with epoxy to flow well. I didn't hear any mention of porting or even an attempt to gasket match the Edelbrock Super Victor which is a max effort manifold and will really hurt your bottom end and mid torque numbers. Your cam and heads are not that radical, and a better match might be the Victor Jr. with a spacer.

I run big blocks so maybe some small block guys will pop up with a more concise explanation based upon their experiences with these manifolds.

Larger Dave

#4 ·
Something else is up, I can't see how just a difference in intake (since it was single plane "a" vs single plane "b" especially) would kill .5 in the 1/4 mile IMO.
I would actually think the super victor would be a fair match for your engine, if you went from a dual plane to a super vic on a 13 second car, then I could see the poor results.
I think Dave may be onto something, if the Team G was port matched to already heavily ported heads and the victor was box stock, and therefore mismatched, then I could see it.
I'd look real close at other possibilties, maybe even unrelated to the intake.

#5 ·
The Super victor was very close to port size/match to heads & gasket (1206 felpro) out of the box. Only thing done was light blend out of some small casting dags, nothing needed to be done in size or location of port & no machining on gasket face .
It is a lot better port matched than team 'g' was.
I looked at & measured a new Victor Jnr(new & untouched), found that it would have needed a fair amount of port matching.Also the runners were smaller width/height than the team 'g' , so i picked the super victor thinking it was the best choice.
Would the Victor Jnr with smaller runners , have any effect on increasing manifold vaccum?

#7 ·
Wierd. Anything is possible I guess, but I just don't see a big mismatch with the super vic. The vacuum does seem awfully low, I'm running a world motown intake (similar to super vic) on my 406, slightly smaller cam (similar lift, 250@.050 duration, 108lsa), and I pull 11"-12" at idle. My power brakes work perfectly in fact. Too bad you don't have before/after vac readings.
If you've looked everywhere for the problem, try the team G again, or try a vic jr. No doubt the jr. is a bit milder intake, but it would still be a good match I think. I'd be real curious to see what kind of direction it goes with the jr.

#8 ·
This may seem really simple (or dumb) but I have to ask. The super victor is 1" taller than a regular victor jr. Were you running a spacer with the team g manifold? If not, then did you check the linkage? I know when I switched from my victor jr. to the super victor, I had to make quite an adjustment to get the linkage to open the throttle all the way. Hope this helps!

#10 ·
Yer,already had checked for full throttle.
Its sorta got me stuffed why there is so much difference between the 2 manifolds, i was using 1" spacer with team g ,so there was not much difference in height compared to super vic, must be a bit of diff in volume of plenum & runners.
Might have to try another manifold.
Oh well, its all a learning process

#11 ·
Hey guys, went back to basics again. You wouldn't read about it, found the problem- Romac sfi balancer had spun 10deg, only giving me 26deg total,but i didn't check timing before taking leaking manifold off. Can't wait to see what it runs in a couple of weeks time, hopefully back to 11.1's or quicker??
Thanx for your 2 bobs worth everyone, will post results either way.
Cheers Mick

#12 ·
That makes a whole lot more sense to me, crazy how unrelated stuff happens when you change something, that can really create headaches.
I'll bet the super vic makes the car faster myself, it will be interesting to see the results, thanks for keeping us posted :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.