Team Camaro Tech banner

Are we a dying breed ?

14K views 92 replies 43 participants last post by  Stone_Cold 
#1 ·
I saw a thread by Vince (3forme) called "future generation". It made me think about the future of our hobby. What do you guys believe will become of the muscle car scene ? Maybe museums full of cars rather than cruise ins or car shows or seeing them rolling down the streets on a summer night. I'm not seeing that many young guys in the scene. I think they are more in to I- phones and X box.
I've heard the argument that young guys cant afford these cars and thats why they drive imports with fart pipes and huge speakers in the trunk. Then years from now what happens to our cars ? Will our beneficiaries sell them ? To who ?
In the 60s and 70s there were tons of young guys driving these cars. Now that same generation is driving them.

#42 ·
Well I was just at SEMA.

Young to old all there and all sharing their love for cars.

1st gens are just getting way too expensive for most to get into.

Look to the Fox Body Stangs and such as the up and coming muscle cars fir the next generation.

#43 ·
I completely rebuilt the engine in my Camaro when I was 14 in 2005 and scored a 99% on the mechanic section of the ASVAB (if that gives you a gauge on mechanical intelligence) and fully intend on opening a performance oriented shop after I graduate college in a year and start saving up money. The owner of Mast motorsports (one of the most popular ls aftermarket engineering shops in the world) is owned and operated by a man who is under 30. We are out there.

#44 ·
You've asked a good question here, Jerry...what happens to the muscle car era cars?

As some have aready pointed out, I think the Mod T's/A's of the past, and even those of the 40's and even the 50's, there seems to be less of those vintage types at some of the meets that I've been to this past year.

These flamboyant high HP cars were at the apex of power in motor history, and some of us were even lucky enough to have enjoyed these times first hand...but often just took them for granted as they were common to that time period. Gas was cheap and genuine parts were available.

Missing today are so many aspects of this bygone era, like the drive in hamburger joints, movie drive-ins, and other related car places that were part of the car scene.

There is a sense of loss as time moves on...some call it nostalgia, but we still have time to enjoy our "road warriors" with that rumble of the V-8's. Some how, "Fart Pipes" don't cut it! :)

There will always be the special cars for a time, be they the exotics or the newer class of compacts (Tuners) that are supercharged and computered to the hilt.

We are maintainers of the past, as those of today's cars will be in time as well. Who knows? Private transportation may some day come to a halt as the populations gravitate to the urban centres of the world.

So, gents/gals think not of the demise of this genre of muscle car...embrace it, and enjoy it while we still can!

capt

#45 ·
1. first gen camaro is cool looking in a timeless way. unlike many "classic" cars the first gen is safe in this regard. There are only a handful of designs like this from that small window of time ( 65-71). basically the others will fade away as they have been doing slowly.
2. parts are easy to get. Very important .
3. camaro is special above and beyond the other cars. its a chevy, a part of American history.
4. first gen camaros will likely be given special consideration with the regulations sure to come in future years. tree huggers and environmentalists love the look of a first gen too so im cautiously optimistic for future generations.
5. the looks of a first gen is what will ultimately save it ( until the sun blows up) Its the all around winner in styling. Not too much anything,just right... My preference is the 69 rs/ss convertible but any first gen is a winner.

#49 ·
Lots of valid points made. I still say if you are a gear head you are pretty much born that way and you will find stuff to work on.

Someone mentioned Model A's, T's, and cars from the 30's, 40's, 50's, well personally I like them all and would love to own, build modify each one of them. The demografic <sp> is changing and many "into" the "hobby" right now are into it because it's a fad. The true die hard guys have always been into it and will die still loving cars.

There are younger guys with the same passion and I think John (Vintage68) made some good points. I am usually very friendly with anyone that wants to talk about cars and I encourage people to do things yourself. I will make it more a of a point to chat with the younger crowd and see if I can do my share to infect them with the car bug, lol.

Those saying gasoline will go away, I disagree. The fuel we pump today is quite different than the fuel from years ago. Remember when the lead was going to be taken out, OH NO all the old cars are going to die, well it made very little impact. I think the fuel will continue to change, but there will be ways to burn and make power on whatever formula is next. There's always Ethanol, Methanol, etc... I was in Texas earlier this week and saw a commercial from Shell saying they are now producing ethanol.

The car scene will change, but never die.

#50 · (Edited)
Are we talking about 1st Gen Camaros in general, or classic cars in general ? I know Camaro's are high priced, and i do understand why a young individual would not be able to afford one. And if we are talking about muscle cars in general, there is no way they will ever die. I have seen muscle cars all over my bay area since i was 15, and have owned muscle cars since i was 15. The new muscle cars released are tempting, and might be taking much away from the old school purchasing at the moment though. They do have nice ones out right now.

I have to say after reading everyones posts, they have some good points. I am 50/50 now, and not sure how to answer the question. Yes there are tons of shows rebuilding and showing off these old schools, but due to $$, gas, economy, and regulations, who knows what is to come of our old schools ? Got me thinking about it twice now.

#53 · (Edited by Moderator)
Are we talking about 1st Gen Camaros in general, or classic cars in general ? I know Camaro's are high priced, and i do understand why a young individual would not be able to afford one. And if we are talking about muscle cars in general, there is no way they will ever die.
Lex, I mean 50s, 60s, and 70s muscle cars in general. I'm sure there will be Camaros and Mustangs till the end of time but I mean the real American iron that our generation loves and I'm not saying we dont love older cars than that and many of us do. I'm in fact restoring a 38 Chevy pick up right now.
We way out number the younger guys in this niche.

#52 ·
Awesome Rich, I remember that race well :thumbsup:.
"Grey poupon for everyone"... The announcers there are awesome.:D

I actually have a video of us racing Zehring in round one of qualifying with the El Camino at that very race, it's mostly just starting line but an awesome video, man I love Vegas...

#55 ·
As before mentioned we should take the time to get the younger crowd interested in these cars. Like when they come around at car shows or cruise ins standing there looking our cars over we can make it a point to chat with them. Maybe we can save the world.

#56 ·
No, we're not a dying breed. For the most part, "Kids" today can't afford these early muscle cars. When I was my sons age (16), the early Camaros were just old cars and not classics. He knows he can't get a early Camaro or Mustang so he's looking at a later model Mustang (1990s-2004) -which is just an old car right now. His goal later in life is to get an early Camaro. Took him to a car show at Cal-Expo a couple weeks ago and he loved it. All the old rods and the few muscle cars that were there. No, we're not a dying breed, not yet.

#58 ·
The cars you had in high school are the cars you want in middle age. That's not to say gear heads from different generations can't appreciate or desire different cars, but generally the core enthusiast will want the car he dreamed about or owned as a kid. That being the case, the 60's muscle cars are at their zenith right now. There's also the fact that Detroit hasn't given up on horsepower. I never thought I'd see the day when a new Camaro would pack over 400 stock ponies under the hood. No need to hotrod a pre-smog 350 if you want to go fast.

#59 ·
Were not. I'm 16, and I know it doesn't future into the 50's-70's criteria. But I'm just voicing my. 02¢. I got an 83 berlinetta because it was a cheap old car. 800 bucks. Its got an lt-1 from a c3 vette. More or less, kids from this generation are here to stay. I'm going to school for autobody or welding because i can't afford to do it unless it will usefully in the future

Sent from my LG-US670 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

#61 ·
It helps to get young people involved..My 13 year old son knows most 60-70s musclecars at a glance, and he is already planning his 69 Camaro..I did have to steer him away from mustangs though...On a similar note, since my 67 is still in pieces, I drove my fenderless hotrodded 1931 roadster during our week long Cruising the coast cruise in...most people didn't have a clue what a traditional hotrod roadster is about, and looked at it like it was from Mars..I really felt like a dying breed!

#62 ·
I don't think the breed is dying until as parents we don't teach our boys and girls about cars and the love of owning and working on them. I have two boys, 17 band 19. Both drive newer Ford Focus' but that's okay with me because both were built in Wayne,MI (I have the build sheets) and they aren't driving Honda, Toyota, or Nissan's. Both boys love American muscle cars and hot rods. My youngest wants a 69 Camaro pro-touring and a 33 roadster with a 572 or 621 blown Chevy big block, I told him to get a really good job. Oldest loves 57 Belairs with twin turbo small blocks that look like sleepers on the outside. I have already told both that when they can afford the car, parts, and beer I will donate my time to help them do the builds.

#63 ·
Both drive newer Ford Focus' but that's okay with me because both were built in Wayne,MI (I have the build sheets) and they aren't driving Honda, Toyota, or Nissan's. Both boys love American muscle cars and hot rods.

#64 ·
Interesting post here. The hobby has priced out the youth and others. It's not affordable for many people to get a muscle/classic car anymore. To start, you have to scour the earth to find a reasonably priced car at all entry levels. While the internet has been a great resource for car builders, it's also been the bane to enthusiasts, as it's brought the worst out in car flippers and people exploiting the hobby.

To buy a muscle/classic car, you have to have cash, otherwise you're financing a car at an unreasonable apr percentage. 8-10% is pretty outrageous these days. I've finally gotten back into a muscle car after many years, 15 years to be exact. Other priorities have always gotten in the way, money for an engagement ring, house payment, paying off college loans. I finally was able to buy a pretty solid 69 for straight cash, won't disclose how much, as I think I still overpaid in this market. I'd like to get my sons into the hobby when they're in their teens, but I'd probably have to start hunting now for their project cars. And they're only 7 and 5 years old! Anyhow, I don't mean to say negative, but it's just not a practical hobby for the younger generation.

#65 ·
That can be true for sure, but great deals on plane jane camaros are out there still. I bought a 67 coupe only 2 years ago for 2500.00 from a friend who was about to list it on ebay. That price included a bunch of new sheetmetal, and a 350/4 speed. I put new quarters and front cap on it, revamped the interior, and suspension, then sprayed it with DP90. We ended up with a rust free driver quality 67 RS to play with for about 7500 bucks. My son helped with the cleaning of parts, not much else he could do then, but now he's willing and ready to do more on the next one...(someone decided they REALLY wanted that one and made a great offer on it, so it left before I could even paint it)

True it wasn't a custom painted show car or 100 point restoration, but it was never intended to be, just something we could mess with together. If you have the place to work and the tools, its a great way to get a kid hooked on the car scene.

Now if your only option is to buy a turn key finished car, then no, that wouldn't be feasible (or smart for that matter) for a teenager.

#66 ·
You found a great deal but most teens end up with mom and dads hand me down or spend about $2k on their first car and don't have any money left to sink into it. An old classic is not a good 1st car for most teens. That doesn't mean they won't be into them later after college and getting life started. It doesn't mean they can't learn to wrench on their $2k beater and do a brake job in the driveway with hand tools or make suspension and other performance mods as they get the money to afford them... That's really the "breed", the classic's will come as they grow and develop... If you are one of the over 50 set here here you got to experience it with what we call old classic's but the cars back then were not old classics, they were what we could afford!

#68 ·
I'm probably going to get flammed or whatever for saying this, the reason why more kids (including me) are buying imports is because they're cheap to modify. And quality parts aren't as expensive either and they are fairly quick with mild building. Its not dying unless you think of imports as being "only rice" and not included into the criteria of the love of going fast and modifying cars. But their has some really good info on this thread.

Everything is more enjoyable when you don't have to urinate.

#69 ·
You won't get flamed, there is truth in what you wrote. Many of us with older muscle cars were in the same position 2-3 decades ago that you and your friends are in now.

Not many of us had any money when we were young-so we went to the wrecking yards and got the OE performance parts of the day off crashed and blown up cars. I can't tell you how many Mopar 440's and 9 inch Ford rears I pulled back in the day-I never paid more than 50 bucks for any of those things, and I remember laying in the mud busting knuckles vividly,lol.

I'm probably going to get flammed or whatever for saying this, the reason why more kids (including me) are buying imports is because they're cheap to modify. And quality parts aren't as expensive either and they are fairly quick with mild building. Its not dying unless you think of imports as being "only rice" and not included into the criteria of the love of going fast and modifying cars. But their has some really good info on this thread.

#70 · (Edited)
Yeah, that's so true. But most people don't really understand that that stuff isn't cheap like that anymore. I wish it were lol.

But again a lot of people hate on imports like its not part of the "sport" if you will because its not what they like. But I can garuntee you that import lovers also love American stuff. I wish I could say vice versa

#71 ·
Hey I get why young guys would buy imports cuz theyre cheap, plentiful, disposible;) and easy to hot rod. Heck smash one up and go down to the corner car lot and grab another one.

I did as above mentioned score my Camaro when they were cheap, heck I got it for 900 bux back when I was 20. It was a total basket case.

btw I'm one who dislikes imports, you have no idea how much. :angry:

#72 ·
but its just so hard for me to call a 4 door accord with fart can exhaust and a 4 banger a hot rod..lol.

I have great memories of the mid 70s hanging around at my uncles wrecking yard. I was probably 14 or so. I remember the complete ss396 chevelles, GTOs and Mustangs sitting around in the yard. amazing how worthless they were then...We never could keep a decent 67-69 Camaro though..unless it was just demolished..

I know...times change....I could probably learn to like an EVO or WRX, but there's something addictive about a cammed up V8

#73 · (Edited)
Haha yeah, im talking about hondas too, but their are other imports than evos and wrx's. Like z31 300zx's and 240sx's are cheap as hell. And evos and wrxs have 4 doors and a 4 Banger :D

My buddy has a 800whp civic that he used to daily when it only had 650whp. :) but it all depends on the mentality of the import owners.

Hey I get why young guys would buy imports cuz theyre cheap, plentiful, disposible;) and easy to hot rod. Heck smash one up and go down to the corner car lot and grab another one.

I did as above mentioned score my Camaro when they were cheap, heck I got it for 900 bux back when I was 20. It was a total basket case.

btw I'm one who dislikes imports, you have no idea how much. :angry:
I hang around people that hate imports alot too. Ricers irritate me too. But not all imports are rice.
But that's the wrong attitude to have on imports dude. Not everyone will sit their and talk s*** about a camaro. At least not the people who I hang around.

#74 ·
There is definitely a generational thing here but it's not the import cars as much as some of the drivers and their attitudes. It's the few who ruin it for the many. Loud (c)rap blaring from subwoofers bigger than the tires, attempts to do burnouts at every stop sign, open containers, drugs, and the inevitable loaded handguns. It's the reason why many car shows don't allow imports and the ones that do usually separate them from all the other cars.

My grandmother used to say, "Never judge a book by it's cover, but... if the table of contents is out there for all to see, you know where the story is headed"

#75 ·
I remember back in the day we did some pretty stupid and irritating stuff too. Burnouts all over the place, loud exhaust, loud rock-n-roll, daredevil driving tactics, the whole nine. That was during the post- muscle car era too when our cars could be bought for a song.
Don't hold all that stuff against the young crowd, most of us did it all back in the day. The kids are just having fun.

Most of us old car guys have grown and matured-so we don't really like the new kids with their stuff. I bet the Model T and Flathead guys hated the Muscle Cars with those loud paint jobs, weird wings and spoilers, and most of all that blaring 'music' by Jimi and Zepplin and all the rest.

I do despise the rap stuff, however.......lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.